New laws when buying a shotgun

viking

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scully

With the greatest respect, the definitive legal answer has been given. The instructions are written on your FAC and, as the BASC guidance sheet says, "All certificate instructions provided by the Firearms Rules 1998 are legally binding and supported by Section 32(2)(b) of the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1997".

Scully

With the greatest respect, the definitive legal answer has been given. The instructions are written on your FAC and, as the BASC guidance sheet says, "All certificate instructions provided by the Firearms Rules 1998 are legally binding and supported by Section 32(2)(b) of the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1997".

Yep this was discussed a wee while back on another forum and very few of the RFD's there knew about it but it is indeed the way it's meant to be done.I think the police weren't overly fussed as long as there was a paper trail to where the firearm is.

Edited by mr smith

An interesting minute from a recent Beds & Herts regional FLM meeting.

Whilst in this instance they are discussing remote RFD sales, the same would apply to remote private sales......................

RFD Remote sales – Concern was raised over RFDs selling firearm remotely without ensuring that the buyer held a certificate with the necessary authority to purchase the firearms. RFDs should be reminded that before making the sale to check and endorse the certificate even if the firearm is then to be sent on to a local dealer who would handed over the weapon to the holder.

Scully

Fair enough. :good:

There must be thousands of us in breach of the terms and or conditions of our tickets ably assisted by RFD's.

How much easier and logical would it be for the buyer/seller to show the RFD who was sending/receiving said gun, their certificate and then the relevant RFD to ring the other verifying the buyer/seller was authorised to possess?

A law can be interpreted in any way within the law, for an individual certificate holder to transfer a gun to a RFD who then transferres said gun to another RFD who then transferres this gun to another individual certificate holder, is, assuming all required checks are completed properly, I submit completely legal and above board. Surely RFD's are doing this every day in their normal course of their business?

Once your certificate is not in your possession you are holding firearms illegally, that is why there is an obligation on the police to issue a temporary certificate if they cannot complete your application for renewal before the old one expires!....so why would you send/post it to some stranger?

Both of the RFDs I use follow this procedure,

1. The seller transfers the firearm to the sending RFD, this ensures the RFD sees his SGC/FAC, verifies its photo ID and authority to be in possession of the firearm being sold.

2. The sending RFD copies the sellers certificate details into his log ensuring there is a record of the transfer

3. On receipt of the firearm the receiving RFD enters it into his log and notifies the buyer of its arrival

4. The buyer collects the firearm from his RFD who checks the buyers SGC/FAC, verifies its photo ID and that it has authority to possess the relevant firearm

5. The receiving RFD records the buyers certificate details and also enters the transaction onto the buyers certificate

This gives an extremely secure transfer and full documentation checks at both ends.

Edited by phaedra1106

A law can be interpreted in any way within the law, for an individual certificate holder to transfer a gun to a RFD who then transferres said gun to another RFD who then transferres this gun to another individual certificate holder, is, assuming all required checks are completed properly, I submit completely legal and above board. Surely RFD's are doing this every day in their normal course of their business?

Which is exactly what I said earlier. RFD 1 enters the vendors gun onto his register then ships it to RFD 2 who the enters onto his register. The buyer then collects from RFD 2 who transfers from his register to the buyer's SGC. Happens every day up and down the land and no one is in breach of the law. Because much of the law is vague and interpretive some civil service drone might think up some "guidance" as a way of justifying his/her salary but that doesn't make it legally binding.

Both of the RFDs I use follow this procedure,

1. The seller transfers the firearm to the sending RFD, this ensures the RFD sees his SGC/FAC, verifies its photo ID and authority to be in possession of the firearm being sold.

2. The sending RFD copies the sellers certificate details into his log ensuring there is a record of the transfer

3. On receipt of the firearm the receiving RFD enters it into his log and notifies the buyer of its arrival

4. The buyer collects the firearm from his RFD who checks the buyers SGC/FAC, verifies its photo ID and that it has authority to possess the relevant firearm

5. The receiving RFD records the buyers certificate details and also enters the transaction onto the buyers certificate

This gives an extremely secure transfer and full documentation checks at both ends.

Thats the best way to do it and how all but one of my guns were sold/transferred (remotely). It is however not the correct way to do it to the letter of the law.

While i don't really have an issue doing things this way with an RFD/manufacturer, i wouldn't be comfortable at all doing it 'the right way' with a private sale. There is also the issue of when did the transfer actually take place, was it when the seller signed your certificate, when the firearm arrives at the receiving RFD, or when you take possession of the firearm? There could be a week between potential dates!

Best just keep operating as is until something more official comes out.

Which is exactly what I said earlier. RFD 1 enters the vendors gun onto his register then ships it to RFD 2 who the enters onto his register. The buyer then collects from RFD 2 who transfers from his register to the buyer's SGC. Happens every day up and down the land and no one is in breach of the law. Because much of the law is vague and interpretive some civil service drone might think up some "guidance" as a way of justifying his/her salary but that doesn't make it legally binding.

With respect, it is legally binding as per the firearms act and the instructions written on SGC's/FAC's.

Non compliance of a FAC condition or instruction is a summary offence punishable with a maximum of 6 months imprisonment or a fine of level 5 on the standard scale, which at present is £5000.00.

Mode of Trial: Summary Only.

Punishment: Summary 6 months or a fine of level 5 on the standard scale

I only buy local from private sellers so have always been F2F,when I boult a gun from Avalon they insisted the licence has to be posted to them,they endorsed and sent it back recorded delivery.I then picked it up from my RFD by showing the licence with the gun entered.As CharlieT & bostonmick state its what's on the cert.I agree with most though,I wouldn't send my licence to a none RFD so wouldn't buy from no one unless I was prepared to travel.

One other issue to mention on this and that is the courier for your SGC if you are sending it off.

I have had numerous items where items have been sent RMSD and they have not arrived at the far end (been delivered to the wrong address or something) - then you have all the hastle of a missing SGC to contend with

And the other issue that a SGC has ended up in the hands of somebody not authorized!!

Edited by discobob

One other issue to mention on this and that is the courier for your SGC if you are sending it off.

I have had numerous items where items have been sent RMSD and they have not arrived at the far end (been delivered to the wrong address or something) - then you have all the hastle of a missing SGC to contend with

And the other issue that a SGC has ended up in the hands of somebody not authorized!!

Sent mine Avalon recorded deliver,so requires a signitor,then sent it back same.Ironically though my Renewal with photo copy of licence was hand into Licencing authority and they lost it( they managed to cash the. Cheque though) lol

So. I rang my RFD this morning. Explained the situation to her, she said not to send it to the buyer but his RFD. He will fill it in and send it back to me. So I rang the buyers RFD up he said I had to send cert to him. He would get buyer to come in and write it on my cert. I said no. My Flo said it had to be the RFD who did the writing on my cert, he didn't aggre so he rang his Flo. Called me back and said I was right. So now gun is with RFD. Iv sent my cert to him. He will fill in my cert. send it back recorded delivery. Send gun to my RFD I collect with my cert.

bit of a carry on but if that's how it is now then that's how it is.

So. I rang my RFD this morning. Explained the situation to her, she said not to send it to the buyer but his RFD. He will fill it in and send it back to me. So I rang the buyers RFD up he said I had to send cert to him. He would get buyer to come in and write it on my cert. I said no. My Flo said it had to be the RFD who did the writing on my cert, he didn't aggre so he rang his Flo. Called me back and said I was right. So now gun is with RFD. Iv sent my cert to him. He will fill in my cert. send it back recorded delivery. Send gun to my RFD I collect with my cert.

bit of a carry on but if that's how it is now then that's how it is.

Then I would suggest the FEO is wrong, as they often are, as the Firearms clearly states it is the transferor who must complete table 2.

The owner of the shotgun is the one who is parting with possession, not his agent (the RFD) therefore it is he who must sign.

I quote from the act.............

transfer” includes let on hire, give, lend and part with possession, and “transferee” and “transferor” shall be construed accordingly