Changing from 6's to 7.5's??

Hi, I have been using the 32g 6's but a friend uses the 21g 7.5's and swears by them...I was thinking of trying them. This is for pigeon work. I can find some details as to the differences but cant find what the pellet count difference would be between both carts. Can anyone give me an idea,y thoughts are that there must be more pellets in the 7.5. I think the average for the eley 32g 6's is about 300?

ATB

Stcik to your 6's mate, I'm changing to 5's when I run out. 7.5's simply dont carry enough energy over decent range, especially 21 gram. You will find you are pricking more birds than its worth. I tried pigeon shooting with 7.5's and couldnt kill a damn thing over about 30 yards. Close range they arn't too bad but still not my recommendation. :good:

Imo 7.5s for summer shooting dont forget cartridges have come on a long was since 10 years ago .

7.5s will kill birds cleanly 30 yards plus without a problem but the truth is many shooter are no a good enough shot to warrant there use nowt to do with them not being up to the job.

You will never go wrong with 32grams of 6s if you do use 7.5s run though 32inch barrels full chokes and be dead eye .

Regards OTH

Imo 7.5s for summer shooting dont forget cartridges have come on a long was since 10 years ago .

7.5s will kill birds cleanly 30 yards plus without a problem but the truth is many shooter are no a good enough shot to warrant there use nowt to do with them not being up to the job.

You will never go wrong with 32grams of 6s if you do use 7.5s run though 32inch barrels full chokes and be dead eye .

Regards OTH

Going to have to disagree on a couple of points there I'm afraid my friend.

I don't think cartridge performance has really changed much in the last 10 years to warrant using smaller shot sizes, I reckon very little has changed at all really.

If a shooter isn't a brilliant shot then a lot can be said for using larger pellets. A stray 7.5 pellet or two on the edge of the pattern probably will not bring a pigeon down however you stand a lot better chance with a larger pellet. Also if you then centre the bird in the pattern at a range that will kill it, the chances are it's going to be riddled with pellets, whereas using larger shot the pattern will have less pellets in it.

32inch barrels won't make any noticeable difference compared to any other lengths of barrel on sporting shotguns for the purpose of killing the bird.

However I do agree that you will rarely go wrong with 32g of 6's and a 1/4 or 1/2 choke for most forms of pigeon shooting. :good:

FM ;)

Hi to all you shooters.

Just lately I see lots of remarks about what chokes and what shot sizes to use for pigeons. This is my view and I have been shooting pigeons since the bad winter of the early sixties , and shot thousands. Since about mid 70’s I have used 7.5’s and find 7.5’s will kill pigeons and pheasants that are within range. My past guns have been remy skeet 26in barrels, AYA Matador bored out to skeet 26 in barrels, Remy 1187 var choke, Winchester 30 in ¼ X ¼ ,other game side by sides and o/unders.

I remember once going on a duck shoot and being told off for turning up with a 20 bore and 7’s, Funny thing I was the only one to put anything in the bag 5 ducks.

(2 left and rights and one single.) One day after I shot 50 straight at skeet I stopped off at a field and shot 48 pigeons with 50 cartridges ( 9’s) yes they were minced but it was great to see them explode like a clay. So I say to all you shooters just starting out

My opinion is start with open choke with 7’s when you are shooting straight tighten the choke and stick with 7’s.As a final word I remember one day on the Wiltshire Downs a cock bird flew the line and after about 9 shots it fell to my skeet choke and 7’s (Town Gun was there and threw his hat on the ground in despair) My best cartridge EXPRESS 7’s As they say its not the size but what you do with it that counts.

With my 12 bore, I normally shoot 30grams of Express Pigeon specials on all game, pigeon and rabbit. They are just wonderful. The other week I put a slab in the car without checking, they were 28grm 7.5 ! I found more pricked birds (pigeons) than before and realised the limitation of the lighter shot size; A mistake I hope not to make again :rolleyes: