Cartridge choice for decoying pigeons

Cartridge of choice when decoying pigeon?  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Choose

• 7 1/2
    • 7's
    • 6 1/2
    • 6's
    • Other

Ollie, hi,

As I posted, I chose to ignore your 30yds. That was my privilege just as it was your's to set that figure. Certainly, the majority of my shooting and that of most game is shot at that range. However, we share an honour in as much as we've both been told that we're doing it wrong in no uncertain terms by Catamong.

MC has kindly answered (correctly) the question I asked Catamong. To allow for cases where you do not strike with the head of the shot string, I round this up to 1.0 to compensate. Using the same observed velocity as the Eley figures this rounded up figure will be achieved out to 35 yards for 7.5 shot. At 30 yds a TC barrel will exceed the pellet density required for a 3 pellet strike every shot. A second barrel at IC to allow for the smaller head on target will complete a very efficient combination provided, it must be said, that your stated range is not overly extended.

Cheers,

Your partner in crime

Edit: Spelling

About time a sensible reply. This is why I created the poll, to start a sensible discussion. I respect all you guys who say that 6's are your preferred shot, but don't run me down for using a load which I have proven works well for myself in the past.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would normally say 6's because I think that is the best shot size to use with 32 grams but I now use 6 1/2 shot Eley HB pigeons and these work just aswell as 6's but I would never use 7's but that is just my choice.

Basically most cartridges will drop and kill a pigeon,crow or what ever you are shooting as long as you put your shot in the right place lol. It is all down to personal preference. :blink:

Edited by MerseaDavid

32 grams during flighting and roosting 6s

28 grams 6s decoying and summer use when birds are genrally less scared and come closer I think from spring drilling to late sept the average pigeon shot is ten yards closer than in winter on OSR.

Sixs are by far the best to give enough power at distance to insure a clean humane kill and to matain a good even pattern.

Anythink over 6 is pushing the boudary and anythink larger has too many gaps in the pattern at distance.

Regards OTH

I've always preferred 32g 7s and relied in the denser pattern to make up for less individual pellet energy but I wouldn't say it was a big deal.

The pigeon has quite a small body under all those feathers so pattern is important and 7s still have more than enough enery to bring down a pigeon espescially when hit by several pellets.

I'm very much a fan of small shot and denser patterns to do the job.

Edited by Vince Green

I would normally say 6's because I think that is the best shot size to use with 32 grams but I now use 6 1/2 shot Eley HP pigeons and these work just aswell as 6's but I would never use 7's but that is just my choice.

Basically most cartridges will drop and kill a pigeon,crow or what ever you are shooting as long as you put your shot in the right place lol. It is all down to personal preference. :good:

There is no such cartridge as an Eley HP pigeon.

Over decoys IM happy to use 28g 7.1/2, 30 yard 1 shot kills in the air no probs, and I also use Gamebore clearpigeon 32g, 6 shot, I find them harder to decoy in close enough this time of year to be certain of clean kills but let be honest cutting through all of the proverbial unless your stupid enough to take extreme distance shots 40yards+, if your barrels in the right place either will bring them down, last summer I tried 250 Gamebore Pro steel 28g 7.1/2 over decoys with devastating results clean kills but limited range to 30yards (decoy placement!) No comments required!! I spoke to the Gamebore rep and he more than aware that pigeon shooters are using steel.

As for the meat damage not really an issue unless your shooting under 20 yards or point ####ing blank, I dont eat that many most are sold, I do a service for the farmer, crop protection and one which I enjoy.

It reminds of the article I read in the Shooting Times about some burks shooting high pheasants with a 28g now that is seriously stupid

Alan

don't like arguing on the internet much, but personally i have found that no 7 shot in 30g has been more than adequate for decoying. But i have found over in my area that game loads in no7 are harder to come by as the dealers aren't being asked for it as much and are selling more no 6 which is quite a bit more expensive per slab. I was given a slab of Kent Velocity last year which i shot clays with size 7.5 in 28g, i would say that this cartridge had more than enough punch to kill pigeon at reasonable decoying range!

don't like arguing on the internet much, but personally i have found that no 7 shot in 30g has been more than adequate for decoying. But i have found over in my area that game loads in no7 are harder to come by as the dealers aren't being asked for it as much and are selling more no 6 which is quite a bit more expensive per slab. I was given a slab of Kent Velocity last year which i shot clays with size 7.5 in 28g, i would say that this cartridge had more than enough punch to kill pigeon at reasonable decoying range!

Yes that what I was using its a good cartridge :good:

Alan

hi all

i've been in this game fo alot less time than most, but i do shoot alot and have found that 7.5 28grms are ok short range any high birds or long shots they seem to loose energy too fast. i had a day on eley olimpic trap 7.5 on some stubble in sep/oct and found alot of the birds i shot were not clean kills although i was hitting alot of birds they needed disposing off after, i,ve been using hull 32 g high pigeon,s since and find they kill clean, and at further ranges..

6's for me

Over decoys IM happy to use 28g 7.1/2, 30 yard 1 shot kills in the air no probs, and I also use Gamebore clearpigeon 32g, 6 shot, I find them harder to decoy in close enough this time of year to be certain of clean kills but let be honest cutting through all of the proverbial unless your stupid enough to take extreme distance shots 40yards+, if your barrels in the right place either will bring them down, last summer I tried 250 Gamebore Pro steel 28g 7.1/2 over decoys with devastating results clean kills but limited range to 30yards (decoy placement!) No comments required!! I spoke to the Gamebore rep and he more than aware that pigeon shooters are using steel.

As for the meat damage not really an issue unless your shooting under 20 yards or point ####ing blank, I dont eat that many most are sold, I do a service for the farmer, crop protection and one which I enjoy.

It reminds of the article I read in the Shooting Times about some burks shooting high pheasants with a 28g now that is seriously stupid

Alan

There is a school of thought that a heavier cartridge with a denser pattern is needed for pigeon because they are smaller than a pheasant so provide a smaller target thus meaning there will be more 'pigeon sized holes' within the pattern that a pheasant would not be able to squeeze through.

FM :good: