Shots fired in Cumbria?

RC45

According to The Telegraph the guns were inherited from his father. His mother was dying in hospital and he and his twin were arguing over the will. He got into an argument with his buddies at the taxi rank the day before and was already indicating dire behaviour.

A friend disarmed him that night. (! why didn't he phone the police?). He went to the hospital to report his deteriorating mental state. They turned him away.

Next day he shot his twin brother and the solicitor, then went to the taxi rank and shot two buddies and then just went on the rampage.

There seems to have been ample opportunities to preven this tragedy. He knew he was losing it and wasn't helped by anyone.

If only...

Bloody heartbreaking.

If what you say is true,thenthis is an even worse tradity as it could have been prevented at several points,i'm just shocked and feel for everyone affected in the local areas

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to The Telegraph the guns were inherited from his father. His mother was dying in hospital and he and his twin were arguing over the will. He got into an argument with his buddies at the taxi rank the day before and was already indicating dire behaviour.

A friend disarmed him that night. (! why didn't he phone the police?). He went to the hospital to report his deteriorating mental state. They turned him away.

Next day he shot his twin brother and the solicitor, then went to the taxi rank and shot two buddies and then just went on the rampage.

There seems to have been ample opportunities to preven this tragedy. He knew he was losing it and wasn't helped by anyone.

If only...

Bloody heartbreaking.

As someone else has said, if this is true then someone needs a good ####ing! The guy did his best to get himself looked at but nothing was done by the sound of things? That makes it so much more painful in my mind as it's almost like he knew he was snapping and tried to be stopped but nobody did. If only he had the sence to walk into the police station and say "I'm a firearms holder and I think I'm losing the plot". That would have sorted it.

I've heard of several blokes that have had a knock at the door when they've been going through messy divorces etc. The guns go off in bags with the police for a while until things settle down a bit. At the time it must be a bit irritating to the gun owner but in the long run it's a great idea and all goes back to normal in the long term. I feel that it's a very sensible law which probably does a great deal to avoid things like this.

Well am a Cumbrian lad and have just caught up on the full extent of this.

I used to go to school at St Bees about 2 miles out of whitehaven and played rugby with the young farmer who was shot and his brother. This is an absolutely horrendous incident and i fear there may be significant backlash for us guys.

My thoughts go out to all families who were in the area at the time.

Confirmed a SGC and FAC holder shotgun and rifle it is a very sad day for all the families who have suffered so dearly and even worse if it could have been prevented. Lets just hope that it is not take out on us in licensing reform and restriction.

George

If only...

Bloody heartbreaking.

I totally agree, very sad. Telegraph report.

there were witness reports that police were telling people at the time he had a rifle capable of killing at 3 miles so presumably a centrefire .22. Absolutely tragic but a catalogue of issues seem to be coming out, hopefully these will be where they learn the lessons from rather than any knee jerk reactions

It has been reported that Bird had initially armed himself with two guns on Tuesday night, but was disarmed by a friend.

Bird is then believed to have sought medical help at a local hospital for his fragile mental state, only to be turned away.

Looks like this could have being prevented before it happened.

If only, stable doors and all that...it's always the same AFTER the event! There's sometimes an out and out lack of care attitude to blame and sometimes things that you simply cannot foresee. People like this guy who by all accounts was an OK sort of joe suddenly flip, it's tragic but something no one could predict. On the other hand if someone had earlier taken his guns away from him (maybe just news speculation so we should all wait for the **** to die down) perhaps they should have reported him. A difficult call if it's a mate, maybe!

I agree with whats been said so far. Absolutly tragic for all involved including derick bird himself. Don't get me wrong, obviously i think its sickening that someone could go on such a rampage and kill innocent people. I in no way condone what he did. However we need to see what it was that drove him to this. I've haerd that he was a FAC holder for over twenty years, and the reports that are coming out generally paint him as a good bloke. Could of been anyone we all know on here in the shooting community as it appears a normal bloke has been pushed over the edge and lost the plot completely.

We really all need to pull together and defend shooting on the whole as i think its going to come under scrutiny now. This could possibly have been stopped earliar, but it is easy to come out with 'What if's?' after a tradegy. At the end of the day this bloke lost it, and it just so happened he had access to a riffle and shotgun. He could have quite easily done the same with knives or any other weapons.

Dan