What .22 rimfire

tomhw100

hi chaps

Ive recently acquired my F.A.C and im struggling to decide what rimfire to get. At the moment CZ seems to be the thing and i do really like the CZ varmint with the new thumbhole stock,it just seems everyone has cz's now a days. I want a bolt action-used a ruger 10-22 to many times! haha. what other good .22's is there your thoughts are always appreciated!

Cheers

Tom

depends on your budget... i was useing a mauser 22lr yesterday up the shoot and i must saay what a lovley rifle that was dont know the price but i bet it was a few quid ..or you could get something like i got bsa 22 lr 15 shot bolt action rifle i got mine for 20 quid and on the internet ive seen them for 50 so not to bad. also have a look on guntrader theres 100s of them for sale all differewnt price range

hi chaps

Ive recently acquired my F.A.C and im struggling to decide what rimfire to get. At the moment CZ seems to be the thing and i do really like the CZ varmint with the new thumbhole stock,it just seems everyone has cz's now a days. I want a bolt action-used a ruger 10-22 to many times! haha. what other good .22's is there your thoughts are always appreciated!

Cheers

Tom

Hi Tom. CZ's are popular because they are very accurate and well made rifles. I'm on my 3rd one, a CZ Varmint 17 HMR, but have also owned a .22LR and .22 WMR as well.

BRNO also make good quality rifles, and my .22LR one has never let me down in the 15+ years that I've owned it.

Another governing factor is your budget. But in my opinion, there's no need to spend a fortune on a 22LR rifle, get yourself a CZ or BRNO. :hmm:

Had my Finnfire for years as well, but almost sold it on here a year or so back. Had it up for £400 and no-one wanted it. :blink: :oops::yes:

Couldn’t believe it at the time, but really glad because it soon became clear that a moderated .22rf is absolutely indispensable on a rabbit shoot near houses.

G.M.

hi chaps

Cheers

Tom

Like alot of the other guy's say you wont go wrong with a cz i had two my self 17HMR & a .22 both gun's were very accurate.I now have a Anschutz 1417 modle with scope & moderater in .22 i gave £250.I was in the right place at the right time when it came up for grab's. Edited by Mr Mark

Like most people have said, CZ is as much as you need for a starter rimfire. Having said that, Savage do a very nice thumbhole stock that I'm a big fan of but is a bit more pricey than the CZ and then after that its the Anschutz all the way.

I started with a CZ, which was fine, then picked up a Savage 93 and now got the Anschutz 1417. I'd kinda put them in that order of buying preference with about £200 to £300 inbetween each one from new but in all honesty, other than snob value and look and feel, my Anschutz is no more accurate at bunny bashing. I can just get a smaller tighter group with it!

Well I was led to believe that CZ is a subsidiary firm of BRNO, and the rifles etc are not made in the same factories. I may be wrong though. :blink:

I was of the understanding that they were two different companies in the long ago, brno used to make a cracking .22wmr semi, but it's not in the cz catalogue so i guess it's discontinued. There are some really nice examples of the brno marque still around if you dig around.

BRNO and CZ are now two seperate companies.Ruger M77 are nice rifles;the Sako Finnfire is a lovely rifle and something of a collectors item nowadays.The cheaper end of the market are trhe CZ's and BRNO's,and to be honest you wont get more gun for your money than one of these.I own a synthetic CZ and I.ll keep it 'til it wears out,and then I'll get another!

Another CZ fan here! I was recently in your position and bought a .22LR Silhouette and am I mighty glad I did. I put a Nikko Stirling Gameking on it and a SAK mod and doubt I will ever part with it, I absolutely love it. One thing to remember, they are a whole hell of a lot more capable than you are, if you miss it's your fault!!

Whatever you get, enjoy it mate! :blink:

I've just recently bought myself a Ruger 77/22, the bolt action one, cost me £250, it's got a 14" barrel and shoots 1/2" groups at 60 yards,needless to say, i'm very pleased with it.I also have a Cz .22 WMR American,so,I like both makes,sorry if that doesn't help.

Alan.

I'm a CZ fan all the way. I have three in different calibres. Great value for money and very accurate. Of course, the Anschutz will have the smoother bolt and nicer trigger but it is costly and it has one defect: the bolt is not very secure when apparently locked for firing and can quite easily be jolted or nudged out of position, resulting in a mere 'click' and no round exiting the muzzle when you pull the trigger. Same thing happens on my Anschutz Match 54 target rifle if I'm careless. Also, if it matters to you, CZ wood these days is often very good and Anschutz wood can be very ordinary. Don't misunderstand me, however: I think Anschutz rifles are fabulous quality, whether for smallbore shooting at targets or outdoors at the real thing.

I bought a Sako Finnfire when I bought my rifle as it was the firs,t have had no regrets and have really enjoyed the use from it it all depends on what you like and how it feels to you. Byway of an after thought if the pockets are deep enough go for a bipod as well worth the money spent Good luck with your choice

Cheers Shane

I'm a CZ fan all the way. I have three in different calibres. Great value for money and very accurate. Of course, the Anschutz will have the smoother bolt and nicer trigger but it is costly and it has one defect: the bolt is not very secure when apparently locked for firing and can quite easily be jolted or nudged out of position, resulting in a mere 'click' and no round exiting the muzzle when you pull the trigger. Same thing happens on my Anschutz Match 54 target rifle if I'm careless. Also, if it matters to you, CZ wood these days is often very good and Anschutz wood can be very ordinary. Don't misunderstand me, however: I think Anschutz rifles are fabulous quality, whether for smallbore shooting at targets or outdoors at the real thing.

I've got an old match 54 aswell! never noticed the problem you're describing tho, i'll keep an eye on it from now on :blink:

I've got an old match 54 aswell! never noticed the problem you're describing tho, i'll keep an eye on it from now on :blink:

You probably don't need to worry - I expect it's just my poor technique or physical restlessness, and even in my case it doesn't happen very often, just now and then, but I'm never aware of having nudged the bolt beforehand, otherwise I wouldn't squeeze the trigger; I suppose it could be that I haven't pushed the bolt right down but I would have thought that was difficult to do? The problem on the field Anschutz was noted, especially in the dark and in cramped conditions, if I remember correctly, in an extensive and generally very favourable review of the latest model on another forum, but I can't remember which one. I was thinking of a .17 HMR at the time, so I checked it out at a gunsmith's, on a thumb hole model, and found that there was indeed a slight weakness in the lock-up, though there was some resistance, it must be said, once the bolt was home. I guess it is all up to the user, circumstances, and clumsiness or otherwise.

CZ ZKM 452-had mine a fair few years now and not ever even cleaned it-might have adjusted the sights 2 or 3 times since new but thats about all - never regretted buying it once.If you cant bowl a bunny over at 100 yards its either you or the ammo ( Eley extra subs or RWS high velocity are best) cos the gun will do it all day long. :good:

Edited by bruno22rf