Gloves for winter - recommendations?

Fraz

With winter not far away, and a trip to the Midland Game Fair coming up am looking to replace a very tired pair of Musto Windstopper gloves with something to keep the fingers warm from Nov - Jan.

Any recommendations on what you use & what actualy keeps your fingers warm would be appreciated - want to be able to shoot with gloves on therefore not after a bulky pair...or mittens!

All thoughts/recommendations appreciated

With winter not far away, and a trip to the Midland Game Fair coming up am looking to replace a very tired pair of Musto Windstopper gloves with something to keep the fingers warm from Nov - Jan.

Any recommendations on what you use & what actualy keeps your fingers warm would be appreciated - want to be able to shoot with gloves on therefore not after a bulky pair...or mittens!

I did last winter with a pair of MacWet gloves MacWet, amazing sense of touch either fetching carts out of the pocket - you can feel which way up they are as you would with no gloves on and great sensitivity for the trigger finger. Highly recommended - I paid £25 for mine.

i find woolen mittens with the cord through my kagool works a treat for me when foxing. i havnt lost a mitten yet :blush:

I found a pair of perfect shooting gloves when out with the mrs last year in a riding shop. They're made by Ariat and I believe they're called TekGrip or something similar. They are thin enough so you can feel everything you need, but water and windproof to keep your hands warm.

Oh yes I agree, I wear these for their original purpose too but they really do suit the shooters needs. Excellent value at under 20 quid! Not waterproof though.

http://www.tds-saddlers.com/ProductDetails...?PCLinkID=11435

One brand I wouldn't recommend is Sealskinz, I was bitterly disappointed with these when they completely wore through to huge holes in 9 months and they aren't cheap either!

Must admit though I haven't tried the MacWet gloves yet, I keep hearing positive things about them whether it's the riding glove or the military glove in question.

Edited by Ian750

Oh forgot to say the USAF ones are nomex so wont burn or melt onto SBS barrels. However they are not waterproof this does not bother me as the dry quickly.

They do wear out tho mine are 7 years old and a small hole is starting to appear in one finger, I do wear them to shoot and on Excerise and Ops, so I suppose I'll have to get some more.

i find woolen mittens with the cord through my kagool works a treat for me when foxing. i havnt lost a mitten yet :look:

Didnt like the cords and mitten thing when I was at school, always found I got one warm armpit and a wet and muddy one from it dragging along the ground. :look:

Mac Wets for me, defintaley worth a look if you want to shoot in them. For clays I prefer a thicker set of gloves and take them off when im in the stand.

Edited by Dibs

hi,

I wear a thin pair of laksen green shooting gloves there like a thin leather effect, i wear them all year round but in winter i put a psir of silk glove liners on underneath them. There not that waterproof but they keep my hands warm and i can reload my .22lr magazine with them and altogether they cost me £20, i've had 2 years wear out of them now and worn them for shooting and dogwalking, they are starting to wear thin on my index fingers and thumbs though but i'm happy to wear them still

hi,

I wear a thin pair of laksen green shooting gloves there like a thin leather effect, i wear them all year round but in winter i put a psir of silk glove liners on underneath them. There not that waterproof but they keep my hands warm and i can reload my .22lr magazine with them and altogether they cost me £20, i've had 2 years wear out of them now and worn them for shooting and dogwalking, they are starting to wear thin on my index fingers and thumbs though but i'm happy to wear them still

Do you have a link for the silk liners?

I'm also interested in gloves, it feels like my hands are cold for 6 months of the year!

Nial.

Do you have a link for the silk liners?

I'm also interested in gloves, it feels like my hands are cold for 6 months of the year!

Nial.

Hi nial,

Not got a link mate but if you've got a yeomans near you they keep them on the shelf mate for about six pounds. I'll try and find the gloves as i want another pair anyway, i'll pm you if i find them mate.

Gary

I use macwets in the autumn then when it's really cold or wet use seal skins. The seal skins are the only gloves I've found that are totally waterproof yet still retain a decent amount of feel, plus the trigger finger can be folded back. They've made my winter shooting much more comfortable :blink:

They are also really grippy in the wet.