What makes a good clay ground?

majordisorder

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to agree with F3x3 and also Mungler. A good selection of birds is a must, sometimes you need a confidence booster and shooting a few gimme stands first can build that up, especially if you have had a bad day or so.

Also they need to cater for everyone, I quite often take people who just want to try clay shooting and it is no good taking them somewhere which only has difficult stuff.

A place where you can get a cup of tea is a must and also smilie friendly faces working there. There is too many miserable **** associated with the shooting industry and it is a pleasure to go to places that enjoy serving people.

And obvioulsy big boobies behind the counter is just icing on the cake.

Ive not checked but next time im at ours i will see how big HIS are..... :D

shaun

Edited by shaun4860

Yes a poor last stand for me but the one i hit and didn't even know i had hit it, was the best.I even had sunglasses on and still couldn't make it visable.I don't mind if it's not an important shoot but would be mad if it cost me a placing in something that mattered,but a good time was had by all.I sent an E- Mail to jc marsh to tell them we had enjoyed the first shoot. from Yer Auntie. :rolleyes: Do you fancy doing the Park Lodge shoot on the Tuesday with some more yorkies on here.???

Are you going to Jonathan's on the 2nd Jan he puts a good variation of targets on and the grub is free that ticks all the box's for me..

And you always get a good welcome........ :good: :good:

Nail on head.

Easy car parking, decent traps that don't throw no birds and a good tea wagon are but icing on the cake.

I would however add "locality". People want to get to a clay ground in a 20 minute car journey.

You cant have good shoots within a 20 min car journey, we all need to travel, if this is all you want then take up another sport !!!

You cant have good shoots within a 20 min car journey, we all need to travel, if this is all you want then take up another sport !!!

Loving your first four posts Rangerman, all of which are sarcastic replies to posts made by some of the Essex lads.

So come on, what's the problem with wanting a local shooting ground with a good tea wagon, or is the fact we can score our own cards at Copfurn?

You sound like a right bundle of laughs....moody account or a troll, we'll wait and see :rolleyes:

Edited by Bagsy

Definetly a moody account, my guess is either a disfunctional member from Buckinghamshire who had set his own forum up or another nutter from Nothern Ireland who kept naming himself after guns.

Either way they won't be hard to draw out, just me posting will bring the second one out.

Both complete nutters either way.

Well, love him or loath him, but Rangerman does make a valid point, unless you live in Stoke on Trent or Derby you've simply got to travel a fair way to shoot decent targets, that's a fact. :yes:

The Home Counties down South are a clay shooting desert if you're looking for serious competition, OK, there's plenty of dodgy straw balers ready and willing to mug the newbies, but once you get beyond that stage and see the light, you've just got to travel, in my case a minimum 90 minute journey each way, there are simply no decent shoots locally.

I'm not quite sure the penny's dropped with Mung on that one, but with all his money and contacts, perhaps he could invest in a new ground on the outskirts of Basildon or Harlow..?? :lol:

Cat.

Nail on head.

Easy car parking, decent traps that don't throw no birds and a good tea wagon are but icing on the cake.

I would however add "locality". People want to get to a clay ground in a 20 minute car journey.

got 3 that fit that criteria I would also put in set targets up that are " fair and hittable" IE not to easy and repetative or so hard they do your confidence.

KW

Well, love him or loath him, but Rangerman does make a valid point, unless you live in Stoke on Trent or Derby you've simply got to travel a fair way to shoot decent targets, that's a fact. :yes:

The Home Counties down South are a clay shooting desert if you're looking for serious competition, OK, there's plenty of dodgy straw balers ready and willing to mug the newbies, but once you get beyond that stage and see the light, you've just got to travel, in my case a minimum 90 minute journey each way, there are simply no decent shoots locally.

I'm not quite sure the penny's dropped with Mung on that one, but with all his money and contacts, perhaps he could invest in a new ground on the outskirts of Basildon or Harlow..?? :lol:

Cat.

Ok so who's at fault the cpsa or lack of good grounds :hmm:

Cat.

Well said Cat, i think i know your true identity & we have crossed paths on the registered sporting circuit other the years, if you live in Leicestershire there is a choice of 3 registered sporting ground...i know because i travel from Essex to shoot them & i know that you do too.

Thats the hard truth of the situation, live in Essex or Herts & you have got to travel to shoot quality targets, some of the posters on here aint seen a good shoot & wouldnt know one if it smacked them in the face.....too woried about having food & parking facilities to match Bluewater or Lakeside !!!!!!!!!!!...remember the days of Fisher Reeves or Speakys shoots at Bradwell, basic food & parking...but what good targets !!!

Loving your first four posts Rangerman, all of which are sarcastic replies to posts made by some of the Essex lads.

So come on, what's the problem with wanting a local shooting ground with a good tea wagon, or is the fact we can score our own cards at Copfurn?

You sound like a right bundle of laughs....moody account or a troll, we'll wait and see :rolleyes:

Hi Bagsy,

There is nothing wrong with wanting a good local ground with good facilities, but it just dont happen !!!!, the better the ground, the more succesful it becomes, then the beauracrats step in & either put unreasonable restrictions on the ground or worse it gets closed down. Thats why there is no local grounds within Essex, there are too many moaners within the countryside. A very good friend of mine runs a very good game shoot in Kent & has done for a few years, people in the local village understand & support the shoot. In return he makes donations to the village hall, parrish council, church, etc....this year a newbie has moved into the village & has complained about the shooting of guns, beaters wagon & gun bus being on the road.

This person has moved into the countryside & now wants to change the way of life which has gone on for years, it happens all the time !!!

And i am a right bundle of laughs, trust me!!! & if your happy with scoreing your own at shoots fine, but dont go on about it like youve won the county championship or it was a really hard event!!!.... too many posters on here look & talk out of there A%$E'S......they need to travel & get out more..

Well said Cat, i think i know your true identity & we have crossed paths on the registered sporting circuit other the years, if you live in Leicestershire there is a choice of 3 registered sporting ground...i know because i travel from Essex to shoot them & i know that you do too.

Thats the hard truth of the situation, live in Essex or Herts & you have got to travel to shoot quality targets, some of the posters on here aint seen a good shoot & wouldnt know one if it smacked them in the face.....too woried about having food & parking facilities to match Bluewater or Lakeside !!!!!!!!!!!...remember the days of Fisher Reeves or Speakys shoots at Bradwell, basic food & parking...but what good targets !!!

Except this thread isn't just about 'quality targets' and competition is it?

It's about what people feel makes a good clay ground. There's more to it than just 'targets'. <_<

Except this thread isn't just about 'quality targets' and competition is it?

It's about what people feel makes a good clay ground. There's more to it than just 'targets'. <_<

So what do YOU want to shoot at then.....THIN AIR !!!!!!! or are you happy to pay ur money to shoot at clays which come from traps where they have fallen off the trailer & have not been set up with any thoughtfullness to test the paying customer ????,

There are plenty of good clay grounds that have facilities loke golf clubs.....High Lodge springs to mind & is under 2 hours from anywhere in Essex.

Hi Bagsy,

There is nothing wrong with wanting a good local ground with good facilities, but it just dont happen !!!!, the better the ground, the more succesful it becomes, then the beauracrats step in & either put unreasonable restrictions on the ground or worse it gets closed down. Thats why there is no local grounds within Essex, there are too many moaners within the countryside. A very good friend of mine runs a very good game shoot in Kent & has done for a few years, people in the local village understand & support the shoot. In return he makes donations to the village hall, parrish council, church, etc....this year a newbie has moved into the village & has complained about the shooting of guns, beaters wagon & gun bus being on the road.

This person has moved into the countryside & now wants to change the way of life which has gone on for years, it happens all the time !!!

And i am a right bundle of laughs, trust me!!! & if your happy with scoreing your own at shoots fine, but dont go on about it like youve won the county championship or it was a really hard event!!!.... too many posters on here look & talk out of there A%$E'S......they need to travel & get out more..

Maybe you'd be happier elsewhere :good:

Don't slam the door on your way out <_<

So what do YOU want to shoot at then.....THIN AIR !!!!!!! or are you happy to pay ur money to shoot at clays which come from traps where they have fallen off the trailer & have not been set up with any thoughtfullness to test the paying customer ????,

There are plenty of good clay grounds that have facilities loke golf clubs.....High Lodge springs to mind & is under 2 hours from anywhere in Essex.

You just don't get it do you?

The vast majority of clay shooters aren't interested in serious competition/rankings etc. It's a few hours out with friends to enjoy themselves, simple as that. Don't slag them off for that. You enjoy your competition, and we'll enjoy our haybalers. Simple really isn't it? If someone wants decent parking/tea van etc. I can't see the problem.

You should have a look on the Webb site :yp: if you're interested in competition shooting. Apparently that's where it's at :lol:

You just don't get it do you?

The vast majority of clay shooters aren't interested in serious competition/rankings etc. It's a few hours out with friends to enjoy themselves, simple as that. Don't slag them off for that. You enjoy your competition, and we'll enjoy our haybalers. Simple really isn't it? If someone wants decent parking/tea van etc. I can't see the problem.

You should have a look on the Webb site :yp: if you're interested in competition shooting. Apparently that's where it's at :lol:

Hi, you have obviously got the wrong end of the stick.....i aint slagging anyone off my friend !!, i shoot both for competitiveness & for fun, i shoot with friends, we have our own little shoot where everyone brings along people that have never shot before so they can have ago...thats FUN !!!.

I am fully aware of the claysporting website, ive been around clay, game & pigeon shooting for a few years now, so i think i know the differance between a goodun.....do YOU ????

I am fully aware of the claysporting website, ive been around clay, game & pigeon shooting for a few years now, so i think i know the differance between a goodun.....do YOU ????

I don't recall mentioning the 'Claysporting' website :hmm:

If you mean do I know the difference between a good shooting site and a poor one? then yes I think I do.

This one's pretty good..........and yours isn't!!