What makes a good clay ground?

majordisorder

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AS a none competitive sporting shooter the location means a lot, Nice surroundings and hospitality well laid out stands with some variety and challenge. I am spoilt as my local ground offers all of this and more, having shot at quite a few grounds now the big differences are the "none shooting facilities" in terms of refreshments, toilets, car parking and staff.

Park lodge where me and my lad shoot ticks all the boxes for us.As well as just recieving planning permission for a new club house building .Very friendly and helpful staff,smashing set of guys and girls who get down there ,and most important BACON SARNIES like you Mum used to make .Yep i reckon we'll settle for this one . :good:

http://www.parklodgeshootingschool.co.uk/facilities/

For me the over-ridding factors that determine my enjoyment on the day is a combination of testing targets and the surroundings that i'm shooting in. Testament to this is Hodnet (West Midlands SG); by far the most picturesque ground i have had the pleasure of shooting at thus far where every time i've visited the ground I cannot help but marvel at their use of the topography and clever target setting :yes:

Facilities and staff inevitably follow closely behind in the list of requirements; but in all honesty when everything else is in order (i.e no trap break-downs and drinkable tea) then the ground staff can be forgiven for not stopping to have a chat with you inbetween stands :good:

Variety of targets,prefarably with some nice testing ones.No eye testers on bad backgrounds ie black clay against dark trees,and no targets into the sun.Also would choose a scenic location. Toilets are also a must but not too bothered about food or drinks 'cause you can always take your own, although it is nice to have a comfy gang hut.Also good to have some cheery faces when they are taking your pennies. :yes: from Auntie.

Variety of targets,prefarably with some nice testing ones.No eye testers on bad backgrounds ie black clay against dark trees,and no targets into the sun. Also would choose a scenic location. Toilets are also a must but not too bothered about food or drinks 'cause you can always take your own, although it is nice to have a comfy gang hut.Also good to have some cheery faces when they are taking your pennies. :yes: from Auntie.

Still upset about the last stand yesterday? :lol:

Decent location, a good variety of stands, well maintained as well as being clean and tidy. especially the loos and food hut.

The other big thing is not coming away feeling you have just been worked over by a team of pick pockets in regards the costs.

Some places just take the mick.

Just wondering what everyone looks for in their favourite (or ideal) clay ground?

I'd like:

Choice of 25 / 50 / 100 Sporting changing layouts every week

Flush / Flurry single and 'team'

Sport Trap

Skeet

Hot food & drinks

Good targets suitable for ALL standards of shooters .

f3

Still upset about the last stand yesterday? :lol:

Yes a poor last stand for me but the one i hit and didn't even know i had hit it, was the best.I even had sunglasses on and still couldn't make it visable.I don't mind if it's not an important shoot but would be mad if it cost me a placing in something that mattered,but a good time was had by all.I sent an E- Mail to jc marsh to tell them we had enjoyed the first shoot. from Yer Auntie. :rolleyes: Do you fancy doing the Park Lodge shoot on the Tuesday with some more yorkies on here.???

For me the over-ridding factors that determine my enjoyment on the day is a combination of testing targets and the surroundings that i'm shooting in. Testament to this is Hodnet (West Midlands SG); by far the most picturesque ground i have had the pleasure of shooting at thus far where every time i've visited the ground I cannot help but marvel at their use of the topography and clever target setting :yes:

Facilities and staff inevitably follow closely behind in the list of requirements; but in all honesty when everything else is in order (i.e no trap break-downs and drinkable tea) then the ground staff can be forgiven for not stopping to have a chat with you inbetween stands :good:

I would agree about Hodnet, however would say that Dai Tom's dad was a more imaginative target setter. He once put on an 'easy' stand in the top LHS of the ground a white clay going up and one coming down, and offered a gallon of grouse to anyone who killed up. Confident me hit 5 ex 8 the best was 6 Dai was(probably is!) a lovely shot to watch.

No2 Is Orston, think superb targets shot over parkland no mud fantastic clubhouse and grub

No3 Is Grimsthorpe long walk round but what fantastic birds also easy looking but tricky to hit

No4 Is Honisberie also smashing birds and facilities

Thats my two penneth I wait to be castigated

Yes a poor last stand for me but the one i hit and didn't even know i had hit it, was the best.I even had sunglasses on and still couldn't make it visable.I don't mind if it's not an important shoot but would be mad if it cost me a placing in something that mattered,but a good time was had by all.I sent an E- Mail to jc marsh to tell them we had enjoyed the first shoot. from Yer Auntie. :rolleyes: Do you fancy doing the Park Lodge shoot on the Tuesday with some more yorkies on here.???

I'm not sure about Park Lodge :hmm: I fancy doing Doveridge on Boxing Day and there will probably be one or two others going on at Rufforth - they have a 50 STR & 50 OSK combined which sounds interesting :yes:

I would agree about Hodnet, however would say that Dai Tom's dad was a more imaginative target setter. He once put on an 'easy' stand in the top LHS of the ground a white clay going up and one coming down, and offered a gallon of grouse to anyone who killed up. Confident me hit 5 ex 8 the best was 6 Dai was(probably is!) a lovely shot to watch.

No2 Is Orston, think superb targets shot over parkland no mud fantastic clubhouse and grub

No3 Is Grimsthorpe long walk round but what fantastic birds also easy looking but tricky to hit

No4 Is Honisberie also smashing birds and facilities

Thats my two penneth I wait to be castigated

Must get to Orston and Grimsthorp in 2011 methinks! :yes::good:

I would have to agree with F3x3 and also Mungler. A good selection of birds is a must, sometimes you need a confidence booster and shooting a few gimme stands first can build that up, especially if you have had a bad day or so.

Also they need to cater for everyone, I quite often take people who just want to try clay shooting and it is no good taking them somewhere which only has difficult stuff.

A place where you can get a cup of tea is a must and also smilie friendly faces working there. There is too many miserable **** associated with the shooting industry and it is a pleasure to go to places that enjoy serving people.

And obvioulsy big boobies behind the counter is just icing on the cake.

I shoot at Orston a lot and it is very good.It is more like golf club to be at.All grassland,no muddy paths and good clays.The cafe is also very good.

Grimsthorpe is very good and possibly one of the best sporting set-ups in the country.

Vic.