I've knackered my gun.....AAAARGH

Greg_D

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Greg_D. I consider myself a novice at the moment having only been shooting for a year and a bit. I had more than my fair share of novice stick from a few other shooters, and I know how you may well feel about it. Believe me, they were all novices once, as I bet most of them have done worse than remove a bit of blacking. All you need to do is take it to a gunsmith and have it re blacked. We all make mistakes. Simply get rid of that stuff, no big hassle. I'm not too bad with the mechanics of guns myself, so do PM me if you have a minor issue with a gun and want an opinion. :)

Greg ,dont let it bother you to much . There are many things that will strip the blueing off a gun barrel as I found out years ago . I was sitting in my hide pigeon shooting and eating a cheese sandwich with brown sauce on it. A pigeon came into the decoys and I grabbed my gun and shot it,my left hand had a dollop of brown sauce on it from the sandwich and it came into contact with the barrels on my aya game gun . It stripped the blueing off the barrels where it had contacted the barrels from my hand instantly . I concider myself an experianced shooter ,but I did not forsee that brown sauce would strip the blueing off gun barrels . If nobody belives me than just try it .

Harnser .

I expect the compulsory Shooting Awareness course will have a special section about foodstuffs, it will be in Subsection B, " Multi-Cultural Foods and How They Can Affect Gun Maintenance ", just before the section dealing with "Shooting in a Non-Competitive Manner" and after " Gunfitting for Post-Op Transgenders ".

Greg

Welcome on board. Please disregard all posts that are overtly negative towards you, some people just love to show you how clever they are regardless of your feelings or any positive input that they could actually give.

I would, however, question who gave you the idea to pour an agressive rust remover down a gun. Have a look at the Napier or Hoppes sites, whilst they are advertising their own products they do have relevant information about looking after guns.

And good luck with the clays, they don't care what your gun looks like!

Greg

Welcome on board. Please disregard all posts that are overtly negative towards you, some people just love to show you how clever they are regardless of your feelings or any positive input that they could actually give.

I would, however, question who gave you the idea to pour an agressive rust remover down a gun. Have a look at the Napier or Hoppes sites, whilst they are advertising their own products they do have relevant information about looking after guns.

And good luck with the clays, they don't care what your gun looks like!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

A good mate of mine did exactly the same thing a few years back,and he had many years of experience and was a cracking clay shot :yes:

As they say mate **** happens :yes: Dont let it get to you :good: these things happen mate :yes: BB

Edited by Bluebarrels

thanks for all the messages of support,

i will just get the barrels re-blacked and not worry about those members of this forum with undiagnosed personality disorders :lol:

that said, the internet is precious for bringing out your blunt side because people get terribly brave in front of their pc screen. I'm absolutely certain that highlander is a lovely bloke in reality and if i had sought his opinion in person would not have got my ear chewed off.

once again, thanks for making me feel welcome.

Greg

Greg

Provided you are a safe shooter ignore the aris holes we occasionally get - A mate of mine with 25 yrs shooting under his belt left his chokes in too long and they siezed so being the experienced seen it done it man he is he remembered that in old days if you had a rusty nut to remove soak it in Coca Cola - next morning two bright and shiny ends to the barrels of a nice Beretta and two stuck choke tubes -- you are not first and no doubt won't be last.

dave

Edited by DSPUK

Here we go again...a complete novice (nothing wrong in that) who gets a gun licence and THEN begins the learning curve. I'm afraid it all puts the emphasis on there having to be exams to pass BEFORE any licences are issued.

During the latest debate on firearms ownership the PM (David Cameron) said that the UK has some of the strictest gun laws in Europe maybe even the world...as usual a politician taking out of his ****! In many countries in Europe you have to spend around 6 months training, theoretical and practical, testing BEFORE you can apply for a gun/hunting licence. In Denmark (home of some of the worlds most experienced hunters)for instance over 52% fail at their first attempt. Again in Europe hunting licences are often issued by the government on an annual basis and include compulsory insurance.

I'm NOT advocating that we campaign for any further legislation to be applied to the granting of licences here in the UK especially as the gun owning community in the UK has always been priviledged to a great extent in policing themselves BUT I do feel when reading some of these posts on here that we need to beef up on training newcomers in all aspects of shooting sports. At the very least newcomers should be made aware that some sort of training would be beneficial BEFORE they apply for a licence.

On a note about 'novices'; many years ago most people who shot learned from their fathers or other family members and most who shot knew about fieldsports. Today there are many newcomers coming into the sport from backgrounds that have no connection with fieldsports or even the countryside. They know little or nothing and worse, don't even consider they need to.

:lol: What a hideously twattish post, I know everyone else has said so too, but it really is an inappropriate load of cock. I don't see anything wrong with people from outside the culture getting involved in the sport, not everyone is lucky enough to have a kind father/grandfather with a shotgun and the time/patience to teach their kids the ins and outs of shooting. The survival of this sport depends on its popularity, not its exclusivity.

Next time highlander, write this topic under its own heading, so the poor chap whose post you've highjacked and who just inncocently wants a bit of help and advice (one of the reasons this forum exists) doesn't find himself being browbeaten by an overbearing know-it-all. That said, you've got rather a good point in there (although I'm not sure we should be entrusting firearms to people who feel apoplectic rage at the thought of a novice shooter, either). I just don't really think it was in any way applicable to this poor chap.

I still consider myself a novice, and I'm sure I would doff my cap to highlander were i ever to encounter him on the range (by the sounds of it he'd expect me to). I personally appreciate the vast amount of patience my sometimes imbecilic posts receive. Thankfully however, i haven't yet been in direct reciept of one of Highlander's moods (I rather look forward to it though).

And Greg_D, i know sod all about re-blacking and just wanted to jump on the highlander bashing wagon, apologies, good sport though.

Edit: Apologies languange mods.

Edited by Horrocks

:lol: What a hideously twattish post, I know everyone else has said so too, but it really is an inappropriate load of cock. I don't see anything wrong with people from outside the culture getting involved in the sport, not everyone is lucky enough to have a kind father/grandfather with a shotgun and the time/patience to teach their kids the ins and outs of shooting. The survival of this sport depends on its popularity, not its exclusivity.

Next time highlander, write this topic under its own heading, so the poor chap whose post you've highjacked and who just inncocently wants a bit of help and advice (one of the reasons this forum exists) doesn't find himself being browbeaten by an overbearing know-it-all. That said, you've got rather a good point in there (although I'm not sure we should be entrusting firearms to people who feel apoplectic rage at the thought of a novice shooter, either). I just don't really think it was in any way applicable to this poor chap.

I still consider myself a novice, and I'm sure I would doff my cap to highlander were i ever to encounter him on the range (by the sounds of it he'd expect me to). I personally appreciate the vast amount of patience my sometimes imbecilic posts receive. Thankfully however, i haven't yet been in direct reciept of one of Highlander's moods (I rather look forward to it though).

And Greg_D, i know sod all about re-blacking and just wanted to jump on the highlander bashing wagon, apologies, good sport though.

Edit: Apologies languange mods.

:stupid:

Greg_D , Its one of those things that you end up chalking up to experience -luckily it the scheme of things your loss should only be about a hundred quid. Now's no bad time to find a good gunsmith anyway you'll need him from time to time over the years - and you will probably find that he will give you some good tips on gun maintenance too!

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and shooting in general.

i started about a month ago when my license arrived and purchased a near mint Lanber pro sporter gold 30" O+U from the father of a friend.

I am obviously on a steep learning curve so have been taking advise from anyone and everyone on all matters of gun etiquette, shooting technique (several lessons in already) and gun maintenance.

I am only really interested in clays at this stage.

Anyway, it was following the last piece of advise given to me about how to go about removing some insignificant lead deposits at the end of the breech that i was told to use jenolite to get rid of it,

The long and the short of it is that i obviously wasn't careful enough with the jenolite and bits must have got on the ends of the barrels and one blob about 6" down the barrel on the underside and it has stripped all the black off the barrels where it has touched, i had no idea it was so savage...

this is obviously unsightly and i fear that it will rust quickly unless i get it recoated, i have cleaned the effected areas off thoroughly and put a fair bit of oil on it to inhibit any rust formation, but what is the 'proper' solution?

i am in the west midlands, so if anyone can recommend anywhere local, that would be great

Thanks

Greg

Sorry chap to read you sad tale, bad luck, and one reply we we not talk about. so do you want some good luck to show you we are keen to have new shooters on board. We as a company UK Gun Repairs will strip and re black your barrels FREE OF CHARGE they will look better than when they were new. it will cost you the carriage both ways and they will be returned in 3 weeks or less if you want to take us up on our offer call me on 01823665615 9 am to 10 pm Monday to Saturday.

Regards and welcome Sage/Dennis.

Sorry chap to read you sad tale, bad luck, and one reply we we not talk about. so do you want some good luck to show you we are keen to have new shooters on board. We as a company UK Gun Repairs will strip and re black your barrels FREE OF CHARGE they will look better than when they were new. it will cost you the carriage both ways and they will be returned in 3 weeks or less if you want to take us up on our offer call me on 01823665615 9 am to 10 pm Monday to Saturday.

What a fantastic and kind gesture. Well done!

Steve

Wow, that is incredibly generous, what a fantastic gesture!

That is the sort of thread that shows that the shooting community is a welcoming, responsible body of people, who will fall over themselves to help others, with the odd exception.

In any sport or walk of life, you will get the odd one who is not so friendly or helpful. This thread has amply demonstrated that.

At the other end of the scale - there is this gesture - honest, genuine and generous.

It shows the sport in a very positive light and I wholeheartedly applaud it. Well done Dennis.

"...they will look better than when they were new...". Fact

Crumbs,

i wasn't expecting that, what a fabulously generous offer.

I will take you up on it on the strength of the quality of your work alone, i look forward to seeing the barrels in all their glory.

One point i would like to make is that i am not very good at accepting the generosity of others. It is not something that i often receive, i much prefer to help rather than be helped, so with the utmost humility, i don't think that i could allow you to do it for nothing, that doesn't seem fair to me. A reduced rate would still be more than one could possibly expect, or if you insist a donation to a charity of your choosing.

get in touch via PM and we can make arrangements

Yours humbly

Greg

One point i would like to make is that i am not very good at accepting the generosity of others. It is not something that i often receive, i much prefer to help rather than be helped, so with the utmost humility, i don't think that i could allow you to do it for nothing, that doesn't seem fair to me. A reduced rate would still be more than one could possibly expect, or if you insist a donation to a charity of your choosing.

get in touch via PM and we can make arrangements

Yours humbly

Greg

Greg, you got this offer because of Pigeonwatch.

Why don't you make a reasonable contribution to the charity shoot total in return...

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/162920-raffle-for-the-pw-charity-shoot/

Nial.