I've knackered my gun.....AAAARGH

Greg_D

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and shooting in general.

i started about a month ago when my license arrived and purchased a near mint Lanber pro sporter gold 30" O+U from the father of a friend.

I am obviously on a steep learning curve so have been taking advise from anyone and everyone on all matters of gun etiquette, shooting technique (several lessons in already) and gun maintenance.

I am only really interested in clays at this stage.

Anyway, it was following the last piece of advise given to me about how to go about removing some insignificant lead deposits at the end of the breech that i was told to use jenolite to get rid of it,

The long and the short of it is that i obviously wasn't careful enough with the jenolite and bits must have got on the ends of the barrels and one blob about 6" down the barrel on the underside and it has stripped all the black off the barrels where it has touched, i had no idea it was so savage...

this is obviously unsightly and i fear that it will rust quickly unless i get it recoated, i have cleaned the effected areas off thoroughly and put a fair bit of oil on it to inhibit any rust formation, but what is the 'proper' solution?

i am in the west midlands, so if anyone can recommend anywhere local, that would be great

Thanks

Greg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've got decent bore cleaner, a proper cleaning kit and a bore snake for quick cleans out in the field, i was just being stupidly picky and wanting my barrels 100% perfect and it has bitten me in the backside, i am so angry with myself.

C'est la vie

does anyone know of a good reblacking place in the west mids/birmingham/black country?

You're not far from some excellent parts of the history of the guntrade ....

Try Benjamin Wilde - Price Street

There are other names so yellow pages time .. but just about every building in Price St probably has more than one proper gunsmith

Edited by seeker

Here we go again...a complete novice (nothing wrong in that) who gets a gun licence and THEN begins the learning curve. I'm afraid it all puts the emphasis on there having to be exams to pass BEFORE any licences are issued.

During the latest debate on firearms ownership the PM (David Cameron) said that the UK has some of the strictest gun laws in Europe maybe even the world...as usual a politician taking out of his ****! In many countries in Europe you have to spend around 6 months training, theoretical and practical, testing BEFORE you can apply for a gun/hunting licence. In Denmark (home of some of the worlds most experienced hunters)for instance over 52% fail at their first attempt. Again in Europe hunting licences are often issued by the government on an annual basis and include compulsory insurance.

I'm NOT advocating that we campaign for any further legislation to be applied to the granting of licences here in the UK especially as the gun owning community in the UK has always been priviledged to a great extent in policing themselves BUT I do feel when reading some of these posts on here that we need to beef up on training newcomers in all aspects of shooting sports. At the very least newcomers should be made aware that some sort of training would be beneficial BEFORE they apply for a licence.

On a note about 'novices'; many years ago most people who shot learned from their fathers or other family members and most who shot knew about fieldsports. Today there are many newcomers coming into the sport from backgrounds that have no connection with fieldsports or even the countryside. They know little or nothing and worse, don't even consider they need to.

I think you're missing something Highlander it has not a lot to do with shooting experience and more to do with common sense. On a similar note they let women drive and most have a similar knowledge of a cars working parts and how to look after them ;)

Here we go again...a complete novice (nothing wrong in that) who gets a gun licence and THEN begins the learning curve. I'm afraid it all puts the emphasis on there having to be exams to pass BEFORE any licences are issued.

During the latest debate on firearms ownership the PM (David Cameron) said that the UK has some of the strictest gun laws in Europe maybe even the world...as usual a politician taking out of his ****! In many countries in Europe you have to spend around 6 months training, theoretical and practical, testing BEFORE you can apply for a gun/hunting licence. In Denmark (home of some of the worlds most experienced hunters)for instance over 52% fail at their first attempt. Again in Europe hunting licences are often issued by the government on an annual basis and include compulsory insurance.

I'm NOT advocating that we campaign for any further legislation to be applied to the granting of licences here in the UK especially as the gun owning community in the UK has always been priviledged to a great extent in policing themselves BUT I do feel when reading some of these posts on here that we need to beef up on training newcomers in all aspects of shooting sports. At the very least newcomers should be made aware that some sort of training would be beneficial BEFORE they apply for a licence.

On a note about 'novices'; many years ago most people who shot learned from their fathers or other family members and most who shot knew about fieldsports. Today there are many newcomers coming into the sport from backgrounds that have no connection with fieldsports or even the countryside. They know little or nothing and worse, don't even consider they need to.

Lovely,

I didn't realise that me superficially tainting my barrels would upset you so much.

I am fairly sure that the driving test has no element of car maintenance attached to it, and it is purely a maintenance mistake that i am seeking to rectify.

i'm not sure that this thread was the correct outlet for your opinions on regulatory change in the uk gun industry

If you didn't put that you were a beginner/novice you would not have the same anti novice outburst <_<

been one myself over the past few months since joining I am starting to think some members on here want the forum to be an expert only zone and have no time for beginners or those been offered days out on permissions as the other recent thread highlights

You'll get used to it Greg, if you don't get fed up with it that is!

While there are many very helpfull people on here there are also a few who seem to delight in picking and tearing chunks out of others. I've even seen arguments over spelling mistakes. It's nearly always some poor novice trying to learn something that gets the grilling!

tis strange that when we experts all got our first guns we were all error free and omni-competent.

Seems the new generation just don't remember when cartridges were a farthing a time.

So the 0P sought advice from some 'older wiser source' and got jenolited...... or was it Meldrewed?

Learning curve moral ... .. free advice could be worth exactly what you pay for it --- especially on internet forums.

Ecclesiastes ch:1 v.9-14 applies.

Today there are many newcomers coming into the sport from backgrounds that have no connection with fieldsports or even the countryside. They know little or nothing and worse, don't even consider they need to.

Highlander you can be an arrogant patronising ******** when you want to be.

I am one of the people you are describing, I grew up in Belfast during the troubles in a family with no shooting history.

When I started work I shot with a friend who ran a few hay bale clay shoots with his dad, brothers and uncle.

It's only in my early 40's that I've had a chance to start shooting properly with my own gun.

Where is the evidence for "They know little or nothing and worse, don't even consider they need to"?

Nial.

What a amazing out burst !the poor chap is feeling down beat and down on his chin straps and gets called a novice,yes many chain of thoughts believe shooting should start in the class room,but we are all novices at some genres of shooting

Get the barrel reblacked and put it down to experience,it will look nice when done!so that's a positive :yes:

Think the stuff you used is a rust treatment remover,..has all the black been removed down to bare metal?If yes you'll need the barrels blacking(bizarrely gun blacking is a kind of intentional rusting process in itself hence why a rust remover is bad news on guns.It will cost about £100 for barrels to be done.If it is just a small line and the rest of barrels in good order a gunsmith maybe able to just dip the affected end for you.

if you are down to bare metal you'll need to get on with it as afraid will rust pdq and then you'll need rust remover...oops vicious circle!!..No big harm done,chuck that muck away and go see gunsmith,Birmingham is the place to be for gunsmiths but if you don't know one you local gunsmith will sort you out.Personally i would get whole barrels done as will look like new for £100 ish.

ATB.

Greg_D please don't be to offended by the pomp and bull of some of the big minded( I KNOW EVERY THING PEOPLE ) on this forum.

It great reading some of the posts the said arrogant memebers of this forum put on here. They spout all kinds of bull and come

across like they have never been novices themselves. All have been born with the ultimate shooters knowlege hand book all ready

programmed in to their all ready over stretched mind of knowlege.

But unfortunately we the mere mortals have to put up with these super heros of the shooting world, who instead of helping

out by passing their infinite wisdom on to some one and putting the advice given by them to good use. They just seem to waste time putting

other people down an slatting them for the slightest thing they take to their disliking.

One day they will all i hope, all hear the ( BIG POP.) That'll be the day when ( THEIR HEADS COME OUT OF THEIR OWN 4RSES. )

Hope you get your barrels back up to spec mate. Just leave the Jenolite alone next time lol.

Good luck mate.

DD

Oh dear! I'm going to be in trouble.

I'm pretty sure that this was not the place for Highlander's "outburst". Neither, I think, is the OP topic a good example for the need for education - had I not been busy elsewhere I would have been helping and with a little bit of misplaced zeal it's amazing what an experienced shooter and highly qualified and experienced engineer can do to a new shotgun, saved from ruining the gun only by also being a black belt martial arts chappie.

However, if one calmly reads what Highlander has actually said, he does have a point and I for one think that he is right in principle.

Moving to his final paragraph, had he omitted the final sentence, then the reaction his piece generated may have been avoided. Again however, I think that there is an element of truth in what he says. The remainder of that paragraph is almost verbatum as the reason BASC gave for introducing the Proficiency Award Scheme(PAS) some 30 years ago and as such its probably fair to say that his comment is valid.

FACE commented at the time that PAS was on a par with the requirements of the European countries that had already legislated for the education of hunters. I simply cannot help feeling that sooner or later and probably the former we will regret the virtual demise of the PAS.

Don’t you just love a good debate even when it degenerates into a mass debate! :rolleyes:

I was not hitting on the original poster specifically but on a number of similar postings where it’s obvious that there are many SGC/FAC holders on here who really should go back to basics.

I will defend myself and say (as I already have) that there’s nothing wrong in being a novice OR for that matter a well trained, knowledgeable hunter. For my part I’d never claim to ‘know it all’ and no matter how much hunting I do there’s always something new to learn, usually from others, also by reading about stuff but also by keeping an open and aware mind. However there is, IMO, a lot wrong in wanting to take up a sport without thinking about how one might/should go about it. Especially a sport that could be a health hazard to oneself and others!

People have referred to knowledge of car mechanics not being necessary before learning to drive and I’d agree. Not knowing about gun smithing is not entirely necessary before using one BUT you’re not allowed to (legally) drive a car without first taking some lessons and passing a test so why is it so easy for people to apply for and gain firearms certificates without even basic instruction? I’ve been shooting since I was knee high to a grasshopper but that didn’t stop me seeking professional training when I wanted to take up rifle shooting or deer hunting. It didn’t stop me from paying for professional coaching when I wanted to improve my overall shooting abilities with a shotgun. AND by the way I still do, every so often go out (hunting in case some smart **** thinks otherwise) with people I consider have greater knowledge and skill than I.

All I’m advocating is that people who wish to shoot/hunt should begin by learning the basics either via a professional coach or via mentors or friends (but ones who aren’t novices themselves). It’s bad enough when we’re talking shotguns that there are people out there who haven’t a clue about the mechanics, the safety, quarry ID, the legal aspects etc etc but when we’re talking firearms the mind boggles.

You should be able to get them re done for around £100-150 at a decent gunshop, just phone around and see what they can do for you.

There have also been a few lads that have done it themselves with these diy kits to great success but from what I gather a relatively long job and easy to get wrong.

Have a look through the diy section. If it was me I would go for a quote at the gunshop to see the price :good:

Lovely,

I didn't realise that me superficially tainting my barrels would upset you so much.

I am fairly sure that the driving test has no element of car maintenance attached to it, and it is purely a maintenance mistake that i am seeking to rectify.

i'm not sure that this thread was the correct outlet for your opinions on regulatory change in the uk gun industry

:stupid:

The man who never made a mistake never made any thing… :yes:

Don’t take any notice of the newbie bashing, :P get your gun fixed and move on.

Measure twice cut once……. :rolleyes:

Good luck with your shooting

TEH

Highlander, knock it on the head, you're in the wrong place and thread to be talking about the law and your life story. All this guy is asking is for advice about his barrels, end of. Greg, we all learn from our mistakes. Like others have said, It's no biggie - Snapped stocks and blown barrels are a lot more expensive!

Edited by Beretta Italy

Greg - Welcome to shooting and I hope you enjoy many years pleasure at a superb sport.

You made a mistake, but one that many people could easily have made. Get your barrels re-blued or get a touch up kit. It won't be as good, but it will look better than it does now and a whole lot cheaper.

Please forget the absolute garbage that has been written. I would hang my head in shame, if I was the author. Subsequent posts appear to be half hearted damage limitation. I wouldn't let him drive my car, unless he could fully explain crankshaft end float or valve bounce. Even then, I would be tempted to patronise him further.

Shooting has little to do with maintenance of the gun. It is good if you can do both, but not an absolute must.

Free speech is one thing, but kicking a newcomer, when he is feeling down, is unforgivable. It's worse - it's pathetic.

Don’t you just love a good debate even when it degenerates into a mass debate! :rolleyes:

I was not hitting on the original poster specifically but on a number of similar postings where it’s obvious that there are many SGC/FAC holders on here who really should go back to basics.

I will defend myself and say (as I already have) that there’s nothing wrong in being a novice OR for that matter a well trained, knowledgeable hunter. For my part I’d never claim to ‘know it all’ and no matter how much hunting I do there’s always something new to learn, usually from others, also by reading about stuff but also by keeping an open and aware mind. However there is, IMO, a lot wrong in wanting to take up a sport without thinking about how one might/should go about it. Especially a sport that could be a health hazard to oneself and others!

People have referred to knowledge of car mechanics not being necessary before learning to drive and I’d agree. Not knowing about gun smithing is not entirely necessary before using one BUT you’re not allowed to (legally) drive a car without first taking some lessons and passing a test so why is it so easy for people to apply for and gain firearms certificates without even basic instruction? I’ve been shooting since I was knee high to a grasshopper but that didn’t stop me seeking professional training when I wanted to take up rifle shooting or deer hunting. It didn’t stop me from paying for professional coaching when I wanted to improve my overall shooting abilities with a shotgun. AND by the way I still do, every so often go out (hunting in case some smart **** thinks otherwise) with people I consider have greater knowledge and skill than I.

All I’m advocating is that people who wish to shoot/hunt should begin by learning the basics either via a professional coach or via mentors or friends (but ones who aren’t novices themselves). It’s bad enough when we’re talking shotguns that there are people out there who haven’t a clue about the mechanics, the safety, quarry ID, the legal aspects etc etc but when we’re talking firearms the mind boggles.

Fair enough, but that has little to do with the origional post. He has had several lessons, is only intereted in clays at the moment and is actively looking for helpful advice, so in your own terms he's doing every thing right.

Sorry, I'm not looking to join in the Highlander bashing but you were a bit quick to jump.

ATB

Greg ,dont let it bother you to much . There are many things that will strip the blueing off a gun barrel as I found out years ago . I was sitting in my hide pigeon shooting and eating a cheese sandwich with brown sauce on it. A pigeon came into the decoys and I grabbed my gun and shot it,my left hand had a dollop of brown sauce on it from the sandwich and it came into contact with the barrels on my aya game gun . It stripped the blueing off the barrels where it had contacted the barrels from my hand instantly . I concider myself an experianced shooter ,but I did not forsee that brown sauce would strip the blueing off gun barrels . If nobody belives me than just try it .

Harnser .

Edited by Harnser