ripped off by vets

dogz25

My dog mated with my springer bith nor what we wanted as we got to much going on for puppies. So phoned up vets. I gave my dogs weight. a course of 2injections the nurse said all in £40. Tgought not to bad. Went to vets had the first injection got to go back tomorrow for 2nd. When I went to pay had a shock wen they charged me £90. Wen I asked why the change in price vet the nurse who was on when I phoned shouldn't have given me that price. What's your thoughts guys :blink:

Just be thankful you took them in your self. When my mrs takes them in she allways comes back with eye drops for the Beagle. They see her coming a mile off. They 'suggest' that it 'may' be beneficial. The poor bitch has got gungy eyes, always has had, nothing they flog us works and its all a rip off. The Terrier keeps her clean and it costs me nixy.

If I were you I'd google the name of the vets to see if anyone else has reported problems.

We have a branch of a vet franchise in our town, and they tried fleecing us bigtime (hundreds of pounds of pointless tests, injections etc) and they got very shirty indeed when I took the dog back and said I was going to get a second opinion.

The other vets charged me for an examination and a single dose of medicine, and the bill came to £400 less than vet 1 was trying to charge me.

I get this all the time in my job. I am not a vet, but one of the relations is, and my work is in a similar vein. It seems the nurse was wrong as that is what she is, not the vet who owns the practise. I personally think most vets fees are more than reasonable and I would expect £100 for two jabs. Obviously different drugs have different costs to the vet and subsequently you as the client. There is 20% vat on that too which the vet doesn't get. There is a massive loss of money in shelf life goods to the vets and that will be a proportion of your bill, as too will be the usual premises, rates, electricity, staff wages, bad debts and not least the years taken to qualify and set up a practise with all the associated risks of running a business. The list is endless.

I am not having a go at the op or any one else. Short answer is if you begrudge the fees for your dogs well being, don't get a dog!

As far as I am aware you entered into a contract at the price specified at the time of the call-a verbal contract is as legally binding as a written one.By charging a different price the vet has broken the terms and has no legal right to demand payment.I would suggest you refuse to pay the bill under this understanding but offer to pay for any drugs used at cost.If the vet is determined to recover the full amount he will have to pursue you thru the courts-as a civil matter.

We have a branch of a vet franchise in our town

We have one of them at the top of our road. Their company name contains the word "Savers". We took one of our dogs there once and they wanted hundreds more than our other local vet.

Like all businesses I guess there is good and bad.

Tricky one this. We used to have a drug we could use that was just a single shot to stop bitches getting pregnant and it was cheap. Even with a consultation the cost may have only been £20. Then we went onto using 'Mesalin' and the old drug was taken off the market - this was a course of 2 injections 48 hours apart. The cost doubled and it had to be given on specific days after mating. We then had that taken off the market I'd guess 18 months ago leaving us with a product called Alizin.

The product is effective and required 2 injections 24 hours apart. The problem is it costs more than double the money and there is no alternative. Can be used any time up until 45 days of pregnancy. If the dog weighs more than 16.5kg the vet will have to open 2 bottles and possibly throw the remaining product away (we have to us it up within 28 days of opening). That makes it expensive. Running a vet practice is expensive.

The 'responsible' thing to do is have proper control of your dog and either get it neutered or manage it so that miss matings don't happen. It is 100% your fault! :good:

my oldest springer has water problems. been told she needs water tablets for the forseen future. she charged me £18 for a 14 days course.. but told me that i may get them cheaper on internet with a perscription that she can provide.. went home and had a look.. i can get 1000 of these tablets on internet for £4.08!!! bloody license to rip people off are vets!

my oldest springer has water problems. been told she needs water tablets for the forseen future. she charged me £18 for a 14 days course.. but told me that i may get them cheaper on internet with a perscription that she can provide.. went home and had a look.. i can get 1000 of these tablets on internet for £4.08!!! bloody license to rip people off are vets!

At least she gave you a heads though chap, her practice couldn't do them cheaper but she tipped you the wink, she sounds like a diamond.

What people don't realise is the expense that a veterinary sugery incurs. Vets have to undergo continuous training and attend courses in new procedures and medicines. That costs serious money. The equipment at the sugeries costs a fortune; a digital X-Ray machine for example costs £65,000. Then there are Ultrascanners, Blood Test Labs and all the varied medicines that have to be stocked and often thrown away at their sell by date. They have to keep a certain level of stuff that they might never, ever use, but if you turned up with a dog that had been poisoned or biten by a snake you would be grateful for that medicine being on hand. A veterinary surgery is like a mini hospital and compare private health care with veterinary bills and you will realise how cheap vets are in real terms. For example a spaniel I had in training had to have a corneal graft. Cost - £2,500. A human undergoing private treatment for a similar procedure would pay four times that.

The receptionist made a mistake. We all make mistakes. Dont't you?

I get this all the time in my job. I am not a vet, but one of the relations is, and my work is in a similar vein. It seems the nurse was wrong as that is what she is, not the vet who owns the practise. I personally think most vets fees are more than reasonable and I would expect £100 for two jabs. Obviously different drugs have different costs to the vet and subsequently you as the client. There is 20% vat on that too which the vet doesn't get. There is a massive loss of money in shelf life goods to the vets and that will be a proportion of your bill, as too will be the usual premises, rates, electricity, staff wages, bad debts and not least the years taken to qualify and set up a practise with all the associated risks of running a business. The list is endless.

I am not having a go at the op or any one else. Short answer is if you begrudge the fees for your dogs well being, don't get a dog!

Exactly! :good:

Just be thankful you took them in your self. When my mrs takes them in she allways comes back with eye drops for the Beagle. They see her coming a mile off. They 'suggest' that it 'may' be beneficial. The poor bitch has got gungy eyes, always has had, nothing they flog us works and its all a rip off. The Terrier keeps her clean and it costs me nixy.

Oops, sorry!.

Was going to ask why doesn't she go to the doctor but re-read your post and noticed, "for the beagle"!

What naffs me off about the vets is whenever we take our dogs, the first question out of their mouths is "Is he insured?"

Would he get different treatment if he is not, or can you just raise the bill?

You would be asked exactly the same question if you went for private medical care yourself and I am usually asked the same from garages if I'm getting bodywork repairs/accident damage.

Possible a bigger bill but also possibly that they would know what is covered and what is not so it could lead to different treatment for benign reasons.

What naffs me off about the vets is whenever we take our dogs, the first question out of their mouths is "Is he insured?"

Would he get different treatment if he is not, or can you just raise the bill?

The vets need to know who is going to pay the bill as any business does.

If the animal is insured they don't need to ask you whether you want or can afford any recommended treatments and tests. Insurance companies will readily pay for these whereas some owners would not see the need or could not afford them. If a pet is insured you can guarantee it will get the very best treatment without any financial issues to the owner. Insurance companies do not however write blank cheques. They know what is necessary and what is not.

I don't know if many of you are aware that your vet is duty bound to treat any animal brought to them irrespective of whether the owner can pay or if the owner cannot be found. This regularly leaves them out of pocket. I can't think of any other businesss that is duty bound to invest hundreds of £££'s in treating an animal that they cannot recover the costs for.

My lad who is doing his A levels was thinking of becoming a vet. It's probably the hardest course going - certainly more competitive than even medicine which is bad enough and prospective vets were warned at a University open day that they can look forward to being on call practically all the time, obviously unsocial hours and mediocre pay compared to comparable professions.

They shouldn't take the mickey but they are surely entitled to charge a 'reasonable' amount at the same time. We will all have different judgments as to what 'reasonable' may be.