lamping rabbits

bothbarrels

I'm sorry, but you could have a million acres of land, but that doesn't mean you should get 150 rabbit nights. It's all about where you're shooting.

I sometimes shoot a sewage works and it's like nothing you've seen. The workers say the rabbits are out during the whole day and have little fear. When we shoot the land it's done during the evening, 6pm-8pm (our allotted time) and we can kill in excess of 50 and we're on foot.

All this is in a 5 acre plot. So I can't even begin to imagine what we'd shoot if we could lamp the area.

Oh and FYI, we leave the bunnies where they drop. No point eating a rabbit that's lived around raw sewage all it's life ;)

Edited by Billy.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have farmland bordered by grouse moor. In two or three hours by vehicle I will see hundreds of rabbits and usually shoot over 100. The keepers take hundreds off the moor every week. Drive on the roads over the top and it's a carpet of bunnies.

One night 4 of us went out, a driver, 2 rimfires and a teenager with an airgun. In 4 hours we clicked over 400 rabbits shot.

According to Deckers this isn't true :lol: As i say parts of the country is infested with rabbits, and on nights out, LARGE numbers are taken

Nice 1 Apache

Edited by pestbry

YES Bothbarrels you have the right way of thinking & a much better attitude , if that chap gets the hump about it just go shooting with some who thinks more along your own lines . I have a similar problem with a young chap up here in Orkney & not with rabbits but bloody geese & ducks !to him they are just fun targets like clays .

Some shooters are getting some what annoyed with his attitude now & the last time he was looking to go out for a shot with me I wasent having it . He's a nice young lad but its getting to a point now where we have to draw the line , a few days ago he chucked out 27 greylags so you see what I mean .

You & the chap you are shooting with will only get peed off with each others attitude in the end so I would say look for another shooting buddy . Pole Star :hmm:

Thanks, I totally agree with you, I've moved on, and will try and hook up with someone who thinks the same, as I said before the guys bagging 80+ bunnies a night have a bigger problen getting shot of them, but I don't encounter nearly as much, so I can use what I shoot

BB.

According to Deckers this isn't true :lol: As i say parts of the country is infested with rabbits, and on nights out, LARGE numbers are taken

Nice 1 Apache

Read my post!

We have farmland bordered by grouse moor. In two or three hours by vehicle I will see hundreds of rabbits and usually shoot over 100. The keepers take hundreds off the moor every week. Drive on the roads over the top and it's a carpet of bunnies.

One night 4 of us went out, a driver, 2 rimfires and a teenager with an airgun. In 4 hours we clicked over 400 rabbits shot.

Read my post!

Edited by Dekers

Deckers you troll trough a lot of the posts AND you will find alot of people on here saying they shoot these numbers, you don't need 1000's of acres to reach that number if the ground is heavily infested and early on in the year.

I don't give a fig what a LOT of people "say", read my Post properly!

and I hold 100% to this.........

There is a lot of ignorance, innexperience and BS in this thread, VERY few people get to shoot 50 rabbits a night, and FAR less get to shoot 150 a night, if they do it is a new site, they have neglected it or it is absolutely massive!

OR perhaps the owners haven't paid for enough keepers!

ATB!

Edited by Dekers

There is a lot of ignorance, innexperience and BS in this thread, VERY few people get to shoot 50 rabbits a night, and FAR less get to shoot 150 a night, if they do it is a new site, they have neglected it or it is absolutely massive!

What does it matter if its a NEW site/ neglected or even massive a lot of people still shoot rabbits in HIGH NUMBERS.

And not all land is keepered

Thats it from me on this :yp:

Cheers

Bry

Edited by pestbry

Ha Ha....

So you can make A MINIMUM OF £100 A NIGHT.

Or £100 an hour for shooting (£1 bunny), just how many days on the trot do you think you could do that for before the problem was under control?

:hmm::lol::good:

What does it matter if its a NEW site/ neglected or even massive a lot of people still shoot rabbits in HIGH NUMBERS.

And not all land is keepered

Thats it from me on this :yp:

Cheers

Bry

Just which part of the bold section above do you have issue with?

We have all had decent numbers in a given night, that doesn't mean I shoot 50-150 bunnies a night, that means I shot a lot on the odd night, so which part of that makes HIGH NUMBERS!

So you go out once a week and shoot 50 each time, and matey up the road goes out 5 times a week and shoots 10 a time (50 a week for clarity), so you shoot high numbers and he doesn't hey!

.......There is a lot of ignorance, innexperience and BS in this thread.........

ATB!

Rabbits are lovely and aren't just vermin,

Adolf was a veggie and he was a German.

Pick up your shot bunnies when you go out,

Then pack them up and post them out,

To the starving people of Rwanda,

Who would probably prefer a shot and dressed panda.

a sad solum post

a newly drawn rout

the normal thud when a life goes out but the exstinction this time means no more the most

no tears hold a echo, squeals drown our toast

sorrow and berevement, their lives have no meaning now

silance is master their hoping and skipping bowed

as gone great went out grean bunny, to a more hospitable inn

where shooter and farmers will no longer abandon him

1 rabbit, 2 rabbit, 3 rabbit, 4.

Feel no remorse if they're left on the floor.

5 rabbit, 6 rabbit 7 rabbit, 8:

If I pick these up I'll be home really late.

17 rabbit, 18 rabbit, 19 rabbit, 20:

The farmer will be chuffed, we've got plenty.

...Can't think of much more. Too late at night.

39 was the count for tonight. Plenty of fox food :yes:

1 rabbit, 2 rabbit, 3 rabbit, 4.

Feel no remorse if they're left on the floor.

5 rabbit, 6 rabbit 7 rabbit, 8:

If I pick these up I'll be home really late.

17 rabbit, 18 rabbit, 19 rabbit, 20:

The farmer will be chuffed, we've got plenty.

...Can't think of much more. Too late at night.

39 was the count for tonight. Plenty of fox food :yes:

You were doing so well, but those last lines were pants :no:

A lad from west Sussex went hunting

A bunny or two for the pot

They shot much more than he was used to

It almost made his eyes pop

He cried out aloud this is nonsense

We should really find homes for them all

By the time they had been collected

The pile was almost six foot tall

Now the moral is simple not stupid

If you want to go hunting at night

You do the job clean

Like a well oiled machine

Or people will think you talk Shiite

If out on the fields you do venture

With a rifle, and rabbits in mind

Just bear it in mind you'll be censured

If you dare to leave any behind.

Although it is not your intention

To cause other shooters offence

It's probably best not to mention

Those lost where the cover is dense.

So pick 'em and gut 'em and skin 'em

And bake them all up into pies

But whatever you do don'y count 'em

Or Dekers will tell you it's lies.

;)

In the style of the old spice advert:

Hello shooters. Look at your lamping partner, now back to me. Now back to your partner.

Sadly he isn't me. But if he stopped picking up rabbits and started leaving them where they drop, he could potentially be me.

Look down, back up. Where are we? We're in your garage trying to process 100 rabbits. What's in your hand? Back at me. I have it. It's a pile of guts you need to somehow shift. Look again, the guts are gone, there's no mess.

Anything is possible when you leave rabbits where they're shot.

Just in case you have no idea what style that is ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owGykVbfgUE

Edited by Billy.

If out on the fields you do venture

With a rifle, and rabbits in mind

Just bear it in mind you'll be censured

If you dare to leave any behind.

Although it is not your intention

To cause other shooters offence

It's probably best not to mention

Those lost where the cover is dense.

So pick 'em and gut 'em and skin 'em

And bake them all up into pies

But whatever you do don'y count 'em

Or Dekers will tell you it's lies.

;)

We have a winner :good::lol:

A lad from west Sussex went hunting

A bunny or two for the pot

They shot much more than he was used to

It almost made his eyes pop

He cried out aloud this is nonsense

We should really find homes for them all

By the time they had been collected

The pile was almost six foot tall

Now the moral is simple not stupid

If you want to go hunting at night

You do the job clean

Like a well oiled machine

Or people will think you talk Shiite

:lol::lol: I've unleashed a monster!! Exellent!

BB.

Did anyone see this article in the paper the other day. A company are starting to make rabbit ready meals which will be available in Waitrose from November. But they are using French farmed rabbit for them!Metro rabbits 1.pdf

Metro rabbits 2.pdfPage 2

Someone needs to write to Waitrose, they venison they stock is from New Zealand, what ever happened to sourcing locally?