What Distance Are you

pavman

67 members have voted

1. 1. What regular distance do you shoot Fox at

• 0-100 yards
    • 101-200 yards
    • 201-300 Yards or above

Please give an honest answer as the intention is to show as far as possible what distance most of us are able to get a shot at for a nice clean kill. Any additional info such as rifle type, twist rate and bullet weight set up etc, will add useful information Please restrict wily waving stories unless its merited :good:

Thanks

Edited by pavman

As you know Pavman, the fields around my area are huge! (And flat as a pancake). I have landed on smaller international airports than some of our local wheat fields. However, I rarely shoot more than 250 yards and the vast majority are 150 to 200.

Called in by squeak or knowing where they are likely to be at a particular time keeps the distance average down.

If we spot them, as we usually do, across the other side of a prarie which you can't drive straight across due growing crops, then you have time to plan your approach with reference to available tracks, wind direction, etc.

Or come back on the next night in the hope that it will be in the same place.

Best option is to have a feeding spot where they know food will be available most of the time. That's the place to sit and watch. I like to keep that to about 170 yds - my zero point with my 22/250.

I have some permanent feed points:

1. A free range turkey farm.

2. A free range Goose farm.

3. 4 free range chicken/egg farms.

4. 60,000 ducks in one unit with muck heaps all round it for most of the year. (Also 1000's of tonnes of straw stacked in the yard for bedding. (A veritable fox Hilton/McDonalds).

Grandalf - North Suffolk

Edited by Grandalf

Recently have shot 6 foxes all with my standard Remington laminated stock .223, firing 40grain vmax at 3600ft/sec (drop small up to 300 yds -9" max drop).

Barrel is a 1 in 9 twist, scope is Deben 4 -16 mag *56 objective, 1/4 moa per clicky.

Distances 120 yds, 95 yds, 125 yds, 185yds, 197yds (last 2 in same location, one after t'other) last fox 59 yds.

Country is gently rising ground at base to mainly flat at the top with outcrops of sandstone and one steep escarpment. Rise from top to bottom 4-500ft.

Safe shot shooting into or up the land - dangerous unless very careful shooting down.

No willy waving - the 'last but 2' fox needed 2 shots (my fault), others instant.

Hope this helps.

The fox in my profile pic was shot at 320 yards with a Ruger M77 .223 but this is with a rifle that was zeroed at 250yards, thats about the maximum.

55grain molly coated b/t with 26 grains Winchester 748 and a magnum primer seated 11 tho off the lands.

mMnd you had plenty of practice this one is no 137 in the game book and was back in 2004.

Deershooter

When time and circumstances allow I like to set up bait stations about 100 yards from my shooting position but if I am out lamping for "opportunistic foxes" I will take them out to about 200 yards. I am comfortable and confident out to that range using my .243 with home loaded 70g BlitzKings. The rifle and ammunition is capable of "doing the biz" a lot further out than that but I do not like to go outside my "comfort zone" with live quarry!

Swedish (Finn) 308 combination gun/12 bore, Burris full field 2 3-9x40 scope, with the keeper under the lamp, 150 grain bullets, usually under 100 yards as he is great at calling and lamping, I shoot well with the setup, we work well together! I voted for 101-200 though as I am confident I can shoot, and have shot them at this distance before!

Hiya, Most of mine are shot from just over 100yds....to about 150yds...with my Remmy 700SPS .243 shooting 100gr 6.5g Privi's...but, got a load of 75gr coming soon...

Dont know if it's relevant, but I also shoot them with the Shotgun , to a max of 30-35yds, with 42gr no3's...... :D

Edited by Norrie

I think I've muffed it up - I thought you meant what distance do you regularly shoot Foxes at? I'd say 80% are under 100 yards. Maximum range I'm happy to shoot out to - 250 yards or so with my bigger guns as I know at that range I can hit them where I want to.

I've not done much shooting past that range. I can hit quite accurately out to 400ish on one of my shoots but I don't push that far on live quarry. A first shot hit gets less likely at that range when you just "aim off a bit" as I do.