Massive crash on M5

955i

Makes you think just what can happen at any time.

You're absolutely right and if it's going to, odds on are, as we've seen, this is where it will. This whole area is known as the Somerset Levels and the weather can change quickly and can often be very localised, particularly fog/mist. On the farm this morning and speaking to a customer who was there last night (and very lucky). He was quite happily following a lorry when it suddenly disappeared into a "black hole" as he described it. Probably very lucky it didn't happen a little earlier when the traffic would have been heavier.

Tragedy,

But what I will say is that if people drove to the conditions this may not have happened. Or certainly would not have been as severe.

If only they would incorporate roadcraft into driving lessons, the roads would be safer http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roadcraft-drivers-handbook-Essential-Handbook/dp/0117021687/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320511886&sr=8-1

I worked as a TM operative for a good few years and seen a few bad smashes first hand on the many motorways i have worked on, amoungest

other roads as well. But this one is by far the worse one i can recall hearing of, by a long ways.

My thoughts are with the familys that have suffered loss at this tragic time.

We travel back from Bristol to London regularly on a Sunday evening. We did so last week, (my son is at Uni in Bristol). Its flippin' dangerous, a white knuckle drive all the way back. The traffic is very heavy and bunched right up with no concession to visibility or driving conditions. Idiots switching lanes because one lane is going 5mph faster than the other then switching back when the situation reverses.

You can easily see how accidents like this can occour.

Horrendous accident.

I drove up the M5 the opposite way on my way to Manchester on Friday night and I'm surprised there were not more accidents given the driving rain, spray, huge amount of traffic etc, it wasn't a nice drive.

Once I was on the M6 where it gets busier people were driving far too fast and far too close, I saw an artic about 3m off the car in front and amazingly a car with absolutely no lights on at 6pm in pitch black on a section of motorway with no lights. I wanted to get his number plate and call the cops but I couldn't actaully see his number plate in the dark and spray and I'd gone past him by the time I'd seen him.

I drive 40k miles a year, have done since 1990 and the standard of driving overall is getting worse each year. I'm not passing any comment on the accident, it's just a general comment.

Assomone has already said on here, too fast too close.

SPeed does not kill, speed in the wrong circumstances does.

RIP to thos who have died.

On a second point this is one of the reasons i will not drive on the motorway in anything smaller than a mondeo sized estate.

I drive 40k miles a year, have done since 1990 and the standard of driving overall is getting worse each year. I'm not passing any comment on the accident, it's just a general comment.

Lane discipline seems to have gone out of the window, often the inside lane empty for miles while everyone just sits in the middle or even worse in the outside lane. Even with markers to show how much space there should be people still just sit a few meters behind the car in front.

Motorway driving needs to be added to the driving test.

I would concour with those who mention tailgateing, this is something that I see constantly on the motorway.

The speed people drive at is somewhat irelevant, if they are only 5m from the bumper of the vehicle in front then they don't stand a chance no matter if doing 60 or 80.