Is a cheap shotgun a waste of money?

FalconFN

I haven't had a shotgun for nearly 25 years, and that was an old folding 410, and I've been thinking of getting a cheap sxs for occasional use. I prefer rifles on bunnies but a shotgun will be useful for pigeons but, as always, funds are limited so I wanted to know what the limitations of a 50 quid gun are and how much of a difference you can notice compared to a 500 gun. I'm not worried about comfort, looks or anything other than accuracy and reliability (which I assume will be hit and miss) I just want a cheap tool.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't had a shotgun for nearly 25 years, and that was an old folding 410, and I've been thinking of getting a cheap sxs for occasional use. I prefer rifles on bunnies but a shotgun will be useful for pigeons but, as always, funds are limited so I wanted to know what the limitations of a 50 quid gun are and how much of a difference you can notice compared to a 500 gun. I'm not worried about comfort, looks or anything other than accuracy and reliability (which I assume will be hit and miss) I just want a cheap tool.

Hiya FalconFN,The thing to remember is as long as the gun is safe the barrels are straight and the cartridges are good then the only thing that stands between you and what you want to hit is you and it dont matter if the gun £10.00 or £100,000.0, as long as you put the shot in the right place ! Then job done. beleave me I've shot more game with a sub £100 than I have with My more expensive guns. Cheers Dave.

if it goes bang and shoots straight then go for it

colin

If its in a safe shootable condition, everything works and nothing falls off, then the only thing that really matters is fit. If a shotgun doesn't fit its utterly useless whatever it costs. Bring the gun up to your shoulder with your eyes shut, then open them. Ideally you should just see the bead sitting on the top lever. If you can see miles of rib or you have to lift your head to find the bead, forget it.

If you're worried what people on your shoot might think of a cheap old gun you are a deeply inadequate person with nothing to contribute to the advancement of the human species. You should give up shooting and get a job in the fashion industry.

Edited by Gimlet

Hiya,

I bought my first shotty, an old Baikal O/U when I got my tickets over nearly two years ago. The plan was to trade up to something better, it ain't happened yet and I don't see it happening in the future, it shoots as well as any other gun I've tried at a fraction of the cost (£180) :good:

I picked up a gun for a mate 2 months ago from a sporting auction I was the only 1 to bid on it £12 it fits him ok and both barrels go ban separately depending which trigger you pull and the extractor works to.

Choked 1/2 and 1/2 it has killed rat pigeons pheasants and even his Christmas goose.

Try getting a goose for £13!!!!!!!! Bismuth is pricey stuff

Edited by welshwarrior

"If a shotgun doesn't fit its utterly useless whatever it costs"

Never a truer word was spoken!When I was younger & richer I had some reasonable guns (Brownings & Berettas) only to find I shoot better with an old Baikal DTNE O/U which cost me £80 .

I paid £60 for my sxs Spanish master and can't fault it. Also does not look out of place when i use it on the shoot. Pm wabbitbosher on here, he has some good guns. :good:

I paid £50 for my sxs Spanish master, and it's my favourite rough shooting gun,and for that price it won't matter if I put the odd scratch on it,all I did was take off the varnish,and made it an oil stock.

At the end of the day it's what feels comfortable and fits,and you can bring up and swing through without thinking.

Not going to get and ejector or anything posh at that price but can get respectible spanish gun for -£100. I will be getting a cheap sxs too as I want a feel of class, history and just generally like the look alot more of o/u. My grandad can use it along with my dad, obvs with me, but youll not be bothered about the odd ding or scratch and they seem to be built better to, to what I can gather, been looking around for ages as been waiting on cert. Finally here tho.

I paid £50 for my sxs Spanish master, and it's my favourite rough shooting gun,and for that price it won't matter if I put the odd scratch on it,all I did was take off the varnish,and made it an oil stock.

At the end of the day it's what feels comfortable and fits,and you can bring up and swing through without thinking.

same here i have a spanish lig 12 s/s and it is worth nothing - but to me its the most used gun in my cabinate. take it out use it and abuse it, give the barrels a clean each trip out and it will last for years and be the best £50 spent in my life!