Remember when

bunnykiller

If you watched Grange Hill and Worzel Gummidge , had 3 TV channels, started school with singing in the main hall, played in the woods, made a den, a game was Kick the can , Kiss Chase or Bulldog with not a computer in sight, rode your bike, had to be in before dark, got grounded if you were late, not even the home phone was mobile,… vandalism was scratching the school desk with a compass, you recorded the top 40 off the radio on tape, got 10 sweets in a 10p mix and you turned out ok, THIS IS WHEN BRITAIN WAS GREAT. :good:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you watched Grange Hill and Worzel Gummidge , had 3 TV channels, started school with singing in the main hall, played in the woods, made a den, a game was Kick the can , Kiss Chase or Bulldog with not a computer in sight, rode your bike, had to be in before dark, got grounded if you were late, not even the home phone was mobile,… vandalism was scratching the school desk with a compass, you recorded the top 40 off the radio on tape, got 10 sweets in a 10p mix and you turned out ok, THIS IS WHEN BRITAIN WAS GREAT. :good:

god yes ,dont know about the way i turned out :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yeah when teachers were psychotic and the sports teacher threw a medicine ball clean into my mates face, smashing his glasses just because he wasnt showing much interest. Nostalgia is a funny thing, but yeh some things were better and today some things are just ******* diabolical.!!

Edited by unapalomablanca

Remember them well,some good things some bad,drugs were scarce glue sniffers abundant.

Suppose every generation is nostalgic about there childhood .

I remember being able to play with knives and air pistols/rifles in the countryside and public parks without people being scared you were a nutter.

ATB figgy

I beg to differ I asked my Parents this Question and Dad said it was a **** hole of a country in the 70,s with mass unemployment, fuel shortages, 3 day weeks, high crime rates, Football hooliganism and social unrest...

I think you remember being a Child when you were aware of nothing of the above and your parents sheilded it from you as we should from our children. :yes:

Watched the moon landings in black and white,had to go next door to watch Batman as we didn't have a BBC 2 aerial,outside toilet and a zinc bath hanging on the coalhouse wall.The wooden Tops,Andy Pandy,and Banana Splits a bit later.Buying my first Action Man with a ten bob note,decimalisation and realising I now only had to save 100 pennies to make a pound!

Thinking the Ford Capri was the coolest car on the planet!Browsing me Mams home shopping catalogue for the women in the lingerie!Dickie Davis on World of Sport,Les Kellet and Kendo Nagasaki,football coupons,Tudor crisps at 2and a half pence a pack!20 Embassy Gold for 20 pence,35 pence for a gallon of 2 star petrol.High waisted flares,platform soles,tank tops.....bloody hell I feel old! :blush:

Freezing my tits off in a house with no central heating, power cuts, getting the **** kicked out of you by a gang from 2 streets away, school dinners, school bullies that weren't 'recognised' back then......oh happy days! :lol:

But we did go shooting air rifles in the woods, would spend half the summer hols camping in same woods, tracking foxes in the snow under a full moon, restoring a mini with my uncle, working a Hiab in mates dads scrapyard, learning to drive in a Scammel...not many 14 year olds do that stuff these days either! :good:

Had to watch Ready steady Go at mates house as we had no telly -- Dad used to buy Austin 7's from scrap yard and learnt to drive in them - sold on for £15 - even had a Austin 7 pickup - wish we had them all now.

Don't think I would like the mash and cabbage every day and hand me down clothes but it was an easy time.

Dave

Born in 1970 so I remember it all well. I lived in the city but there was loads of wasteland, we had about 40 acres of derelict railway siding behind our house full of rabbits. Any building sites were our playground once the staff had knocked off at tea time. Unfortunatley the wasteland (brown field sites they call them now) all became building sites so now there are plenty of Barrat's houses but no rabbits! They really were happy days, we were all poor, very poor by todays standards, but we did not realise it. One kid at school went on his holidays to Spain so was defacto 'Rich'.

Browsing me Mams home shopping catalogue for the women in the lingerie!

thought that was just me :blush:

No chance. I bet even now if a two inch thick womens catalogue is put in front of any bloke they would be able to find that section one handed first go :lol: Either that or drop slightly wide and end up in the shoe section