410 killing range

blackbird

i shot a squirrel monday at about 25 yards and it killed it but when i took a good look only two pellets had hit it i did a pattern test on mine and i think that was its limit to be honest,

i was using eley 3inch 18g 6s

colin

it was a 28inch barrel that i cut down to 24.5 so it now has no choke so i guess thats why the pattern had a few holes in it at that range

Yep 25yards, have done longer shots but!

I like 7s or 8s in my fourtens, a denser cloud usually gets them in the head and neck. I have done a few driven pheasant days with a fourten with 7s homeloads. A gun in our syndicate had just had surgury on his neck and feared shooting. I offered him a shoot of my fourten double and he was very impressed at how well he did!

Fourtens, love m'.

U.

Mike525steel - it's a common misconception that the smaller bores throw a smaller spread. They don't. The difference in spread between a full-choke 28 bore and a full-choke 12 bore is negligible.

And a .410 cartridge, loaded to achieve the same velocity as a 12 bore cartridge and firing the same size of pellet, will have the same killing range.

The critical factor in determining effective range is PATTERN. Density of pattern depends primarily upon degree and quality of choke, and weight of load.

Generally speaking, a .410 cartridge carries a lighter charge of shot than a 12 bore cartridge. If each has the same degree of choke, and the pellet size is the same, then the .410 obviously has far fewer pellets with which to form its pattern and so the pattern will begin to fail, i.e. become patchy, at a considerably shorter range.

I'm always surprised to hear people sing the praises of the 3-inch .410 cartridge. It's technically enormously flawed in that it packs its already excessive load into a long, thin column. Long shot columns bring higher pressures, higher pressures cause more shot deformation, and the long shot column causes stringing and inherently poor patterning.

If you want to fire a load of twenty or so grammes, the most effective way to do so is through a 20 bore.

Horses for courses!

The 410 was never designed as a high powered hard hitting long distance calibre. Various attempts at High Power heavier cartridge manufacture have not really changed that, they are just expensive and tend to hurt you when you pull the trigger.

If you want a 410 then best to keep it for close range small vermin, distance wise, it is up to the shooters ability.

Pattern plates are easy, any board will do if you don't have the right thing, and then you can see the spread for yourself. Try different distances, and start close, I think EVERY shogun owner should try a pattern plate, many will get a wake up call!

:good:

Love my 410 for rabbits, but anything with wings - Fuggedaboutit!!

Know your limits!!

I agree and have doubts about the claims by Richard Brigham in Sporting Gun regarding his claims of red letter days over decoys with a moderated .410 pump. If only it were possible I would buy one like a shot but the fact is that a .410 is a very short range gun apart from the odd fluke shot because the pattern just doesn't hold up past about 25yards.