Looking for a flat shooting .22lr round

I'm hoping someone can give me a bit of advice here regarding high velocity .22lr rounds. My .22 Hornet is playing up at the moment so I want some really fast rounds to reduce the chances of me messing up shots under the lamp (I can't be the only one who finds range hard to judge in the dark?!).

I've thought of Stingers but are there any others I should try? I want to try a few so I can pick the one that shoots best.

Any suggestions?

I'm hoping someone can give me a bit of advice here regarding high velocity .22lr rounds. My .22 Hornet is playing up at the moment so I want some really fast rounds to reduce the chances of me messing up shots under the lamp (I can't be the only one who finds range hard to judge in the dark?!).

I've thought of Stingers but are there any others I should try? I want to try a few so I can pick the one that shoots best.

Any suggestions?

Hi there, what's up with the Hornet?

Aguila Super Maximum .22lr 1750ft sec, 204ft lb.

Available HP or Solid, both 30g and not easy to find in the UK, I had some solids from a dealer somewhere over Cambridge way several years ago.

I wouldn't bother again, and they weren't cheap.

As far as I'm aware they were the fastest and most powerful .22lr available, probably someone beaten them now though!

Whichever way you want to look at it there is a gulf of difference in range and power of a .22lr and a Hornet!

Re the Hornet - Just can't get it to shoot. I don't know if the barrel is shot out or the bedding in the stock has got loose? I'm sending it in to the gunsmith once he's got back to me with some details. I can't get a group inside 2" or so at 100 yards - It used to do near 1/2" at the same range.

I'd never expect an LR to do anywhere near Hornet performance. I've either got the LR or the .223 though and the .223 has a .30 cal mod on (it's not that quiet!). I just want something to boost the LR until the Hornet is back on form. :good:

It might be rusted out but not shot out, simply put it takes too long to shoot one out :good: The playoff with HV is they go transonic before 100yds and although flatter they loose the accuracy so win with one hand and loose with the other. Best way is std 50 yds zero and offer no hold over till an estimate of 60+ then go for the chest adding hold as range increases. OR never lamp further out than your comfmfort range for a headshot without hold over.

what you want is an HMR rather than HV .22 rounds that sort of defeat the object of it. :lol:

Oh no, don't start that whole HMR thing again!

Ultimately what I want is my Hornet fixed. The money it would cost for me to set up a new HMR would be similar to the cost of a new .17/.22 Hornet barrel and fitting. I think you can guess which it's going to be?! Just in case you can't, it's not a HMR! It may well be the .17 Hornet though. :P

I'm looking for a temporary fix. Something I can pay a tenner for and go out a few times whilst the Hornet is in shop getting sorted. Then I'll be back to Winchester subs in the LR and have a posh new Hornet to do what it's done for me for the last three years or so - Shoot bunnies and Foxes at HMR ranges but without the worry of the Fox getting up and legging it. :good:

It was a joke knowing your views on them, but its exactly why I have one lamping from a vehicle you don't have to worry about range. Foxes also don't get up at the right range if its further then they really don't get up as the proper fox gun gets used. In your situation get the hornet booked in as hv rounds won't be particularly satisfactory.

When I was a keen small bore target shooter I used to use Ely club cartridges and used to score very well at 100 yards . Just about all our club members used this cartridge . Some paid the extra for ten x not realizing that the ten x was the same as the club but in different boxes . Alright ,the ten x was boxed from the middle of the run during manufacture but none of my club members could tell the difference .

Harnser .

Remington golden bullet is the bullet i have settled for now through my .22LR SAKO Finnfire. Get very good groups from them at 50 and 100 yards. If i zero my winchester subs @ 60 yards, they shoot about 1.5-2.0" high and then almost bang on at 100yards. Dropped a fox at 112 with one, fox was standing side on, bullet went through both shoulder blades and the lungs, the fox dropped instantly.

Try some, and the best thing is they are fairly cheap at £7-8 per 100

Andy - I think it's just a case that at some point along the line I've given it a knock or done something to upset it! These things do go wrong now and again and in all fairness to you it was shooting fine when I first got it back from you. It's nothing you've done. :good:

Al4x - I know it was a joke, no worries there. I know you love your girly gun and I love mine so we just have to agree to disagree on that score! Oh, but the Hornet is better you know.... ;)

Paul - .17HH, that's the leader of the re-barrel choice list at the moment. Almost Ackley performance and no messing about with cases. Just what I want.

I've got some Federals which I found in the safe that run 31gr at 1430fps - Hyper velocity apparenty but hardly hyper in my mind!