blood donors

washerboy

I want to but work makes it difficult im gonna suggest they get a waggon to pull up at our place, most the guys would bleed there self for time off so the thought of a nurse doing it would definitely appeal to them, my work are complete publicity whores too so can't see them objecting to getting a picture opportunity out of it.

I did it a few times then stopped, don't know why? I went back and started again a couple of months back - in fact I recon I'm due another go soon. I'm going to try to stick with it this time as I'm more settled now and both me and the mrs can go.

If you get a decent nurse it makes it all worth while. Needles don't bother me but my god I play on it when they're handing out the attention! It's just another fun game but with a serious and important role. :good:

Last time I went they made me drink a pint of squash before I donated, apparently it's the new procedure? Well I had a pint of water before I went out in preparation so having to drink another didn't go down well. Then I donated, got off the bed and was told to have a drink... I mean really, my insides felt like they were about to float away! :lol:

Only problem with giving platelets is that - Because the needle is left in for 60 or 70 minutes, and anti-coagulant is pumped into you - The vein puncture seems to take longer to clot... More than once i've stood up to get my jacket and felt blood trickling down my arm :blink:

Cold sweat time :lol:

Nice one guys. Keep up the good work :)

Sorry to hijack but anybody interested in organ donation, please read my thread about a lady called T and her effort to get 10,000 people added to the list before she dies. She's currently on 4018. http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/174614-truly-inspirational/page__p__1543153__hl__%2Borgan+%2Bdonation__fromsearch__1#entry1543153

If you can't be bothered to read, only advice I'd give is if you signed up a while back, please go online and confirm your details are current and correct. If you move house, change your name or get married... You need to update the records. If you have the old Donor card - you are not necessarily on the NHS Organ Donor Register so you need to register online!

Having a card is great and by all means keep it. But, the card might not always be handy in the time of need (plus they can get lost and break etc.). Registering on the database is a permanent solution.

Facts about Organ Donation

•  
  • 10,000 currently need a transplant in the UK, and three people die everyday whilst waiting.
  • Whilst 96% of us would take an Organ if we needed one, only 28% of us are on the register.
  • Simply carrying a donor card does not mean you are on the register, you need to sign up to join the database from this website.
  • Anyone can register on the NHS Organ Donor Register. Age isn't a barrier to being an Organ and/or tissue donor, and nor are most medical conditions

Ben

Edited by huffhuff