binoculars what do you use

bi9johnny

Hello fella, I use a set of redfield 10x50's from the states very good and weren't majorly expensive.

Leupold do some nice little compact sets a fella I shoot with used a little set that are 8x30 I believe and these were about £75 I think he said from uttings.

What you need them for will dictate what you want though.

Liam

I use Barska Atlantic's 10 x 42 and have found they are great - they were about $130 when I bought them but can be bought for about $75 now on the net and shipped over. :good:

If I needed a new set tomorrow i'd be looking at Stieners as I have been really impressed when I have had a look through them, that or Lieca Geo vid's with the RF built in - but these are in a way higher price bracket.

Regards,

Gixer

I use 7x50 Swavoski. let me tell you the quality of the glass is way more important than the magnification or objective size (within reason). Its not about looking at what you can already see in larger format, its about seeing what you cannot without them clearly.

Leica 8X20 BCA trinovid

Small enough to fit in the pocket. Enough mag to clearly see a very long way. World class optics.

Also as kent stated above.

Toss up between swars and leicas. Personal preference, I chose the smaller binos.

New price £320 > £370 ish

Edited by fortune

As i left my old pair of binoculars out on the marsh I went to my local shop and tried a few before the wife treat me to a pair of Optisan 10 x 50's. At only £30 they are of good quality for what I use them for. if you want a decent pair at a decent price give them a try.

i shoot right down a 600 acre valley so realy like to see most of it for rabbit and fox :good:

In that case you need to taylor your purcahse to the use you are going to give them. I would suggest you limit the binoculars you buy to a maximum of 8 magnification

The 8 x mag will generally give you a superior field of view. Ie you will see more of the countryside at distance which is better for stalking and reccie work.

What to choose.... Roof V Porro Prisms? Roof prisms binoculars are generally more compact, but to reach the same optical quality as Porro prism models they generally cost much more to manufacture hence the reason for the higher price of Leica, swarovski and other top Marques of roof prism design.

Depends very much what you want to pay...there are Binoculars available in the traditional Porro Prism range which will perform as well as the Top end Roof prisms and you dont have to pay a fortune for them.

Dont make the mistake of thinking that if you get a 10 x magnification you will see more..this is not the case and unless you have extremely steady hands or use a tripod you will get a shakey image which is difficult to maintain on the subject.

If you would like some impartial advice and reccomendation on the best optical system for your use at a particular price range PM me. I have tested hundreds of different Bins over the last 25 years and would be pleased to help.

Edited by Fisherman Mike

take a look at all the ones mentioned above then look through these..... the 8x43 HG range

http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/minox_bino/minox_bino_fs.html

30 year guarantee and they will seriously impress you.

Another good company to deal with is Focus Optics they have some special offers as well.

I have to agree that Minox punch above their weight (price wise). I had a pair and was happy with them. I have just upgraded to the Zeiss RF bins and they are amazing.

Steiner Pro rangers - Good value for the money imo ;)

:good: +1

I have to agree that Minox punch above their weight (price wise). I had a pair and was happy with them. I have just upgraded to the Zeiss RF bins and they are amazing.

Minox have gone up in price lately. Heinnie still selling the old black 8X42s for a shade over 200 quid.

I'll stick my neck out and say you don't need Swarovski or Zeiss to spot rabbits and foxes. Either of the above brands or similar will serve you very well.

You do want the very best for stalking because you're not just locating deer, you need to identify details: sex, age condition, head quality as well as mark out individual animals, offten while they're moving. No bins are to good for stalking.