Oops

njc110381

Well I thought long and hard about posting this one but hey, I like to give an honest picture of how things go for me - good or bad! I went out the other night in search of foxes. The lambs are getting older now but there's still a lot of activity and the farmer likes me to show up regularly. About a month ago a new fence arrived. Farmer did a really tidy job and all was well, until I arrived that is!

We were watching a fox come in to a smashed up bunny that we had set out for bait. He was the other side of the new fence and couldn't find a way through. So I figured I could get him through the wire... Well a .22 bullet hitting a strand of wire is unlikely right? Those holes are about six inches square, I was bound to get through...

I hit the wire! Luckily the fragments nailed the fox and although I had to take a follow up shot I got him on the floor quickly. Not ideal but at least he didn't get away injured. The bullet cut clean through the wire so in the morning I called the farmer... Do you want the good news or the bad news!? I asked. Well he replied, best give me the good news first. I shot two foxes last night... There was a pause. How's that bad then? he asked. Well I shot your new stock fence and cut a wire... Another pause (and at this point I'm rather worried). Did you get the fox? He asked. Yes I did I replied... Well that's ok then, don't worry about it!

Thank god for that! Lesson learned - next time I see a fox the other side of a fence I'm still going to shoot at it! :oops:

Well I thought long and hard about posting this one but hey, I like to give an honest picture of how things go for me - good or bad! I went out the other night in search of foxes. The lambs are getting older now but there's still a lot of activity and the farmer likes me to show up regularly. About a month ago a new fence arrived. Farmer did a really tidy job and all was well, until I arrived that is!

We were watching a fox come in to a smashed up bunny that we had set out for bait. He was the other side of the new fence and couldn't find a way through. So I figured I could get him through the wire... Well a .22 bullet hitting a strand of wire is unlikely right? Those holes are about six inches square, I was bound to get through...

I hit the wire! Luckily the fragments nailed the fox and although I had to take a follow up shot I got him on the floor quickly. Not ideal but at least he didn't get away injured. The bullet cut clean through the wire so in the morning I called the farmer... Do you want the good news or the bad news!? I asked. Well he replied, best give me the good news first. I shot two foxes last night... There was a pause. How's that bad then? he asked. Well I shot your new stock fence and cut a wire... Another pause (and at this point I'm rather worried). Did you get the fox? He asked. Yes I did I replied... Well that's ok then, don't worry about it!

Thank god for that! Lesson learned - next time I see a fox the other side of a fence I'm still going to shoot at it! :oops:

:oops: Neil, didn't you shoot a gate a few weeks ago? :o :lol:

Gate, what gate? :blush:

I've never done a wing mirror myself. Seen it happen before though and it's not pretty! The best I have heard of before was a guy I know very vaguely shot his old Land Rover once. Apparently there was a deer browsing near his truck as he went back to it after a stalk - he weighed up the options and shot the Deer! The hole in the truck backs up his story. :o

Gate, what gate? :blush:

I've never done a wing mirror myself. Seen it happen before though and it's not pretty! The best I have heard of before was a guy I know very vaguely shot his old Land Rover once. Apparently there was a deer browsing near his truck as he went back to it after a stalk - he weighed up the options and shot the Deer! The hole in the truck backs up his story. :o

Oh how we laughed. The wife didnt, as it was her new car. Ive also cracked one of those ceramic disc things that sit on electricity poles. Went for a pigeon sat on the top (dont worry, i had an ocean as a backstop) and the power had dropped from the PCP. i could almost see the pellet fly and with an almighty DOOONNNG! it broke it. :blush:

out lamping with my Dad years ago. I am on the lamp, he is using my shoulder as a rest.

Standing at a galvanised gate I spot a rabbit really close. dad lines up....WHAM! shoots the top bar of the gate.

The noise was incredible as we are about 2 feet away.

was the last on that list an accident though Charlie ;)

Memorable moments I've been party to were my brother and I rabbiting off the back of an old subaru pickup, rabbit ran towards us I missed with one barrel he also did and kept following it and had another shot just clipping the front of the bonnet but neatly missing the rad and headlight :oops:

another was someone on here taking a shot from on the bonnet of a 4x4 and seeing the rabbit nicely in the scope but below that was the front pillar and shot that quite nicely. Fortunately it was his own truck :lol:

Not had any fence incidents but thats probably as we aren't really on livestock ground, I've also shot a landrover SSG's in use at the time and a ricochet off a tree and hit the landrover at 45 degrees away from the direction of shot. No damage just livened up the person sat in it at the time.

So far just a top strand on a rabbit-proof fence and the wing mirror on my car...had wound the window down just enough so I couldn't see the mirror through the scope!

Luckily it was only an air rifle but I did take two shots at the same rabbit and hit the mirror the second time too!

GH

Edited by Greenhunter

was the last on that list an accident though Charlie ;)

Shooting of the back of the Mule dealing with some cubs in one of our hedges. I'd had a couple when a third jumped off the top of the bank down into the field, quick as a flash I shot that one only to realise to late that it was my neighbours fluffy moggy. In my defence it looked more like a fox cub than a real one.

Well then. If you'd shot a couple of foxes on my land, I too would be well pleased, and not in the least concerned about a cut wire on a new fence :rolleyes: , you might get some ribbing for it tho !!! :lol:

Just FYI, there are a number of easy ways to fix the broken wire, probably the easiest to use is the "Gripple", available "from all good suppliers" :yes: - they are about a quid each in quantity..

here's a link, ( for the piccie )

http://www.avsfencing.co.uk/retail/products-by-type/fixings/wire-joiners/

ATB

Sim

I love the honesty, so far while shooting no mishaps other than a smashed scope from stupidly restin gun up against the fence then climing over another section, caught my foot in the cattle wire which threw my gun on the floor using the top turret as a braking device.

but i've had loads of dumb fishing mishaps, always happy to admit to what i've done. I am what I am afterall. to the OP glad your farmer was happy with end result.

I challenged what I thought were poachers in the dark last night. turned out it was my farmer and his dad trying to sort out electricity to the hatchery (they have a trout lake too) because of an elongated power outage. Kinda glad it was them as it was going to get awkward if it was poachers.

A couple of tales.

A few years ago when I had sheep around mid morning checking ewes and lambs. I had walked

300 yards from base and looked over the hill and saw what appeared to be a fox sleeping in the sunshine.

So i walked all the way back for the .22 thinking the ****** might wake up and depart.Well it was still there and

I shot it. It was a superb shot and the fox did'nt flinch. It turned out to be a dead fox,not a sleeping one.

I only ever told one person until now and he told me I was a **** or something.

The other tale was a friend in his youth who thought an old derelict caravan in the woods was a good target for .22.

His older brother inside the caravan was not so sure.

Bryan.

Shooting of the back of the Mule dealing with some cubs in one of our hedges. I'd had a couple when a third jumped off the top of the bank down into the field, quick as a flash I shot that one only to realise to late that it was my neighbours fluffy moggy. In my defence it looked more like a fox cub than a real one.

yup was it ginger by chance, I spent ages a few years back looking at what looked like a cub in the lamp by a tree, eyes looked good colour was good and it peeked out every time you squeaked. But something just wasn't quite right when it came out it was obvious but that was one lucky cat. Location was its big surviving factor close to houses is about all that kept it alive. Had a feral one that wasn't so lucky but that was an entirely different part of the farm miles from houses and it never crossed our minds it wasn't a fox. Our big one is making sure they aren't muntjacs when they are in hedges this definitely wasn't and head looked right ears pricked and ginger with a big white blaze on its chest well the dog thought christmas had come when it found that one :oops:

Well i have lifted the odd molehill or sod now and again at very short range and added trickle ventilation to a Velux frame once a good few years back :rolleyes: Moving quarry and objects below the LOS but within the bullet path turn a clear shot bad very quickly with changing angles Shooting through cover (especially fences) is something i wont do personally as a bullet that breaks or tumbles can lead to very unpredictable terminals, 99% of the time if you hold you horses a clear shot will soon arrive. A few years back i shot at a Fox with the .243 and a 95 grn bullet aiming for the atlas joint as it sat facing away from me at 50yds tops, in flight the bullet hit a twig or something ( i was shooting from a sitting posision on a long pod in forestry) and vapourised the whole of one rear leg and thigh. The blood trial was easy to follow and the finishing shot came quickly but i had to follow on my belly to get under the Sitka lower branches that were heavilly planted to take it. i have also witnessed a Fallow Doe take a perfect high neck shot that was aimed as a heart shot for the same reason. I commented on the stalker in question taking such a difficult under the circumstances shot at the neck and the story unfolded, we inversigated and found the unseen twig the fragment of bullet that did the deed on the deer. It was a 6.5 x 55 with a 140 grn bullet if memory serves me

:oops: Neil, didn't you shoot a gate a few weeks ago? :o :lol:

How many times??? try twice on the same gate. LMAO.

makes a change he hits things as it wasnt so long ago he missed 7 in one night. shockingly bad, would catch me missing.

I have shot my mirror as well with the air gun a fair few years ago.