Shortness of breath

STOCKY A391

Hello all,

Just a quick question,

I have had shortness of breath for about ten days now .I have had no chest pain or discomfort, no sharp pains or chest injurys .no cold or flu syptoms. :no:

i am 35 , pretty fit , with an active job ( slinger banksman/crane supervisor/carpenter)on portable accomodation.

The job is fairly stressfull with a lot of tight deadlines to meet.

I have spoke to my doc and he seems to think it is stress related.

I have started taking some tablets (beta blockers) but no change so far .

Any ideas ? sometimes it is genuinely difficult to get a breath !! :/

Hello all,

Just a quick question,

I have had shortness of breath for about ten days now .I have had no chest pain or discomfort, no sharp pains or chest injurys .no cold or flu syptoms. :no:

i am 35 , pretty fit , with an active job ( slinger banksman/crane supervisor/carpenter)on portable accomodation.

Possibly pneumonia. I hope not though. :good:

Hello all,

Just a quick question,

Stress or anxiety :good: but then I'm not a real Doc. You needto learn how to relax properly and I don't just mean plonking yourself down in front of the TV, not saying that is what you do but you know where I'm coming from.

Stress is an absolutely horrible condition and can come out in many different ways. Anxiety always seems to affect breathing which in turn can leadd to stress so... relax!

And knock tablets on the head. Bad news long term

Edited by Doc Holliday

not been to Edinburgh but valid point :/ , and the doc listened to my lungs and has said they are clear.Asthma has also been ruled out , and i have a medical yearly at work.

I assume you are a non smoker?

Do you find you have to take large breaths every so often and when you are thinking about it it seems to worsen.

If so I would say its Anxiety related.

Meditation is good as is Yoga.

Hello all,

Just a quick question,

I reckon you're Doctor might be able to tell you better than us lot :rolleyes:

I have had shortness of breath for about ten days now .

i am 35 , pretty fit , with an active job.

Get yourself to the GP mate - If I had shortness of breath for more than a few hours I would be thinking something was wrong.... Dont get me wrong it could just be an allergic reaction to something you are working around (or pollen etc) - but Really 10 days and you've not sought professional advice......

I was being treated by a quack for almost a year for shortness of breath Lung allergy he said I had an inhaler it got to the stage I could not get my breath even to tie my laces. Changed to a different DR. had cardiogram iregular heartbeat possibly after a heart attack I disputed the heart attack bit I reckoned I might just have noticed it. Got an echo scan greatly enlarged heart CLASSIC signs of chronic heart failure at the moment I have a pacemaker but I hope all you lads are carrying DONOR cards. Mate see your doctor never mind PW good as the advice usually is you need your Doctor to investigate further. ATB, and remember Donor cards I may need your help to keep shooting. :yp:

I was being treated by a quack for almost a year for shortness of breath Lung allergy he said I had an inhaler it got to the stage I could not get my breath even to tie my laces. Changed to a different DR. had cardiogram iregular heartbeat possibly after a heart attack I disputed the heart attack bit I reckoned I might just have noticed it. Got an echo scan greatly enlarged heart CLASSIC signs of chronic heart failure at the moment I have a pacemaker but I hope all you lads are carrying DONOR cards. Mate see your doctor never mind PW good as the advice usually is you need your Doctor to investigate further. ATB, and remember Donor cards I may need your help to keep shooting. :yp:

We could all give advice and opinions but I doubt that there are many (If any) amongst us that are qualified and in a position to help you out in the best possible way.

The best advice has already been given. - Make an appointment to see your doctor as soon as you can. If nothing else for your own peace of mind!

I wish you well mate!

So stocky mate,you say in your op that youv'e spoken to your Doc

If your asking us lot what we think,maybe your not happy with what the doc thinks?

After 10 days mate,i reckon you need to get a second opinion :yes: better safe than sorry mate :o BB

Stress or anxiety :good: but then I'm not a real Doc. You needto learn how to relax properly and I don't just mean plonking yourself down in front of the TV, not saying that is what you do but you know where I'm coming from.

Stress is an absolutely horrible condition and can come out in many different ways. Anxiety always seems to affect breathing which in turn can leadd to stress so... relax!

And knock tablets on the head. Bad news long term

as above i would get of the betta blockers

colin

many thanks for the kind replies 1 and all , am back to the docs tomorrow at 9.30.

The shortness of breath is constant, with the occasional " grab " at more air when i think about it.

I am also yawning a lot more!

have found no improvement with the tablets as yet but its only been a couple of days.

one thing i have neglected to mention with my work is the hours that i do , Between 50 and 65 on an average week, rising to 80+ in busy times , this obviously may be a strong factor.

One thing i am currently looking into is the possibility of Anemia/ iron deficiency, and will mention it to the doc tomorrow.

Once again thank you all for your kind words and excellent advice.

Stocky.

Hello all,

Just a quick question,

my wife is a heart physiologist and says demand a second opinion.you can't be to carefull pal and some doctors get there qualifications in zambia or the net.

i think in my opinion its stress related panic attack i suffer with them myself it goes on for days, shortness of breath and the more you think about it worse it gets.i find soon as you can feel it coming on get up and do something just to take your mind off it i,ve had them so bad i,ve been rushed to hospital on a few occasions thinking your having a heart attack and your going to die (very embarrasing)i feel like a complete idiot, cos i know now what they actually are but sometimes they get so bad they get out of control, i,ve been to a shrink over this just for him to show me how to deal with them and to say the truth it helps.but my opinion mate get to the docs and get it checked hope it all goes well for you :good:

many thanks for the kind replies 1 and all , am back to the docs tomorrow at 9.30.

The shortness of breath is constant, with the occasional " grab " at more air when i think about it.

I am also yawning a lot more!

Stocky.

As you say you are yawning a lot more, i would say that it is stress related.

Get a relaxation CD and take 30 mins a day to learn to deep relax this will help you a great deal.

But still get a second opin from another doc just in case.

All the best

PELTY :good:

Sorry but a lot of what has been written above is rubbish, Stress does not make you Sob for 10 days, during moments of extreme stress maybe but constantly for 10 days?

You need and ecg and spo2

you need a chest xray

a full blood work up including trop t and d dimers

a peak flow

I'd do an echocardiogram

Is you pulse regular and how fast is it?

seriously push push to get some tests, im not buying stress!!!!!! :angry:

Sorry but a lot of what has been written above is rubbish, Stress does not make you Sob for 10 days, during moments of extreme stress maybe but constantly for 10 days?

You need and ecg and spo2

you need a chest xray

a full blood work up including trop t and d dimers

a peak flow

I'd do an echocardiogram

Is you pulse regular and how fast is it?

seriously push push to get some tests, im not buying stress!!!!!! :angry:

This is the best advice you'll get!