Making a Gunning Punt and Punt Gun

Wildfowler

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Writing is not my forte, so IF I were to write a book, i'd like to think it would sell a few copies to justify the time writing it.

Yes please put me down for one, I've been following this thread from the beginning

Sounds like a few people would like a copy then... (obviously the more the better ;) )

Wildfowler when your book happens & I am sure it will now ,what is the chance of the first few copies in numbered & signed & leather bound or half or quarter leather with some gold tooling & marbled papers ? & I like raised bands on the spine & gold tooling . Some of us on here who like our library & our books will know what I am talking of & if you get your publisher to print them on good quality paper & not cheepo magazine paper !. If there are enough PW users who want a quality book then I am sure it could be done ??? , just a thought over the my port :) . ( serious thought )

Note I have a handful of such books & they will out last you & I by hundreds of years with a little luck , I have a friend who has a limited & signed copy of Peter Scotts Dawn Chorus but alas I know he will never sell it to me ! & I don't blame him :good: anyway I have a limited leather bound signed copy with sketch of a Gry Falcon by Digbys Falcons of the World & I won't sell that either . ATB

I haven't got any done of on the gun this week... I've been 'repaying' the mrs for her assistance last weekend!

So for those of you who are unfortunate enough to have a mrs with horses, here is the latest creation... a set of mounting steps!

The plans are here if anyone wants them! you can get a set out of one 8x4 sheet of 12mm ply and 2 lengths of roofing batten.

I made them yesterday, finished them today and gave them a coat of stain. 2 more tomorrow and they're out of the man cave!

Pole Star... I can get you a solid gold Rolls Royce...

IF you ready to pay for it! :) :) :thumbs:

I have no idea what people would be willing to pay for the book as a hard back, let alone leather bound with gold!

Dont panic they are not beyond the scope of most of us & I have in the past had books rebound as such , best was an original copy of Beebs Monograph of the Pheasant which was published over 30 years & it was complete with its original printed wrappers , a truly magnificent work if you are a fan of the Pheasant tribe , google it & see pheasant tribe lovers .

I also had a set of Rural Sports by Daniel ( 1807 ) complete the supplement published 13 years later rebound as such . ps its tooled in gold leaf which is thinner that paper thing .

Have a word with the publisher about a limited signed & numbered copy ? & you will have number one , of course ! .

Atb Pole Star :)

If the new angling book market, particularly the carp fishing book market is anything to go by, £30-35 for a hardback, a little more maybe for a signed , limited publishing run copy and anything from £150 - £250 for a leather bound, limited run.

The fowling market is smaller though, so maybe £5-10 cheaper for the standard hardback.

Pole Star... I can get you a solid gold Rolls Royce...

IF you ready to pay for it! :) :) :thumbs:

I have no idea what people would be willing to pay for the book as a hard back, let alone leather bound with gold!

Edited by Penelope

I doff my cap to you sir, you are a very clever and talented fellow :smartass:

I came across this thread a few weeks back, but then couldn't remember where it was :blush:

Now I have only finished reading the entire 40 pages and found them all fascinating. Your attention to detail is second to none, the photographs of the work in progress have made understanding the process much easier. The CAD designs and 3D modelling make you feel like you are part of the bulid. The punt looked great floating on the marsh, you showed great resilience waiting the extra day for the more favourable conditions. Great workmanship!

Building the Punt Gun part had me on the edge of my seat (I would love to do something like this one day). I hadn't realised it is as big as it is, until I saw the pic of the barrel sleeve with a pen, that's huge :w00t: The way you defended your designs of a breech loader vs muzzle loader were done very well. Personally I would think a BL would be more safe than a ML (as long as the thumb screw holds :ermm: What size thread is it? I'm guessing around M8). After all you designed, built and have now fired a beautiful piece of art.

The man cave is more like a man castle with all that equipment in there. You are one very lucky man getting the milling machine for £100, it has cleaned up nice.

What will you do to secure the Gun? Is the Mechanism hinge easily disassembled, so you are only left with "a piece of pipe" and the firing mechanism/ breech plug in the cabinet with the "small Guns"?

The cartridge looked massive next to the 2 3/4" 12g. What is the wall thickness on the finished cart? Don't envy your reload cost, mind you I wouldn't mind paying £50 to have a go :whistling:

Sorry for all the questions, but there is 40 pages after all :lol:

Well done Wildfowler. Have a great season, Happy shooting :shoot:

I doff my cap to you sir, you are a very clever and talented fellow :smartass:

I came across this thread a few weeks back, but then couldn't remember where it was :blush:

Now I have only finished reading the entire 40 pages and found them all fascinating. Your attention to detail is second to none, the photographs of the work in progress have made understanding the process much easier. The CAD designs and 3D modelling make you feel like you are part of the bulid. The punt looked great floating on the marsh, you showed great resilience waiting the extra day for the more favourable conditions. Great workmanship!

Building the Punt Gun part had me on the edge of my seat (I would love to do something like this one day). I hadn't realised it is as big as it is, until I saw the pic of the barrel sleeve with a pen, that's huge :w00t: The way you defended your designs of a breech loader vs muzzle loader were done very well. Personally I would think a BL would be more safe than a ML (as long as the thumb screw holds :ermm: What size thread is it? I'm guessing around M8). After all you designed, built and have now fired a beautiful piece of art.

The man cave is more like a man castle with all that equipment in there. You are one very lucky man getting the milling machine for £100, it has cleaned up nice.

What will you do to secure the Gun? Is the Mechanism hinge easily disassembled, so you are only left with "a piece of pipe" and the firing mechanism/ breech plug in the cabinet with the "small Guns"?

The cartridge looked massive next to the 2 3/4" 12g. What is the wall thickness on the finished cart? Don't envy your reload cost, mind you I wouldn't mind paying £50 to have a go :whistling:

Sorry for all the questions, but there is 40 pages after all :lol:

Well done Wildfowler. Have a great season, Happy shooting :shoot:

Thanks for your post... I'm glad you enjoyed it so far. :)

The thread is indeed M8, however that will only ever see any pressure IF the breach plug fails. Based on the materials used, depth of thread and thread profile, that thread is good for c25 tonnes, so the m8 is only a closing screw and a fail safe.

The gun is disassembled virtually entirely, action off, breach plug and firing pin in gun cabinet and the remaing parts all stored separately in the house.

I worked out the reload cost more accurately and based on a standard load it will cost £31 - £32 per shot ( as I bought all the gear in bulk) which the mrs was over the moon about! :D but I do hope to be in a position to offer a trip or 2 out at next years charity shoot so you might well get a chance! ;)

I too am conscious that it is dragging on over a huge number of pages now, making it an endurance challenge to get through! I bink I put in one of my other posts, I have started work on a website for it, as a taster of what is to come in the book! ;):lol:

ATB for your season too,

Edited by Wildfowler

I think you will enjoy your next project, whatever it is, more than writing a book.

Just keep enjoying yourself.

You can write books when you get old.

Anyone know if there have ever been any books on the subject of punt gunning ! , there is chapter in Payne Gallways book The Fowler in Ireland but there must be others ?

ATB Pole Star

ps Colonel Peter Hawkers works might but I dont have any as they are very hard to come bye & expensive when they do .

Not sure if it was ever reprinted ?

Edited by Pole Star