Flocking Pigeons!!!

pigeon controller

Fridays weather was forecast to be isolated showers , so we went out full of energy only to be confronted with heavy rain and low cloud. We had set up on an old oat stubble as we had watched the birds comming in from a great distance. The weather then descended in on us for a good thirty minutes soaking all the gear and decoys. The next concern was the way the pigeons were comming into the decoys, as we had seen previously they were in ones and twos after the rain they were in tens and fifteens. Don't get me wrong I am not complaining but if ten come in you shoot two and spook eight or three and seven if your DB with his auto. We had a frustrating afternoon but ended the day picking up one hundred and fourteen so we were well pleased.

Saturday was a lovely autumn morning and we went in a different direction looking for birds only the end up on the wheat stubble we have shot for the passed three weeks. We went back to our hide position under an oak tree only to find some of its branches lying in the stubble as it had been shot in the week. We set up with the normal twelve fresh decoys from Friday and waited, twenty minutes later the first bird returned and we started shooting, after about thirty minutes it went dead untill another shooter started two fields behind us( not on our permission) this kept a steady supply of birds coming over our decoys and giving us some cracking passing shots, we packed up at 17.00 and picked up one hundred and forty eight birds.

September2012008.jpg

September2012009.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Superb couple of days :good: We too, noticed some massive flocks yesterday, up very high and on a distant mission south. Absolutely no chance of drawing any our way :no: We spent hours driving and hardly saw a thing under 1000 feet :( Nothing on the stubbles, germinated rape or in the woods :hmm:

The most I have seen recently was on some oat stubble, typically next to some houses that are shooting sensitive.....now that is weird, I've never known them go for oats before :hmm:

Edited by turbo33

Another couple of good bags there PC, I can't help but notice that nearly all of your birds are adults with a full set of neck markings, we shot 135 yesterday over a bean stubble and I would reckon that about 70% of those were juvenile birds without the neck markings, as is always the case at this time of year.

Do you deliberately target the adults and leave the youngsters alone, or perhaps the birds don't breed too much in your area..??

Cat.

Another couple of good bags there PC, I can't help but notice that nearly all of your birds are adults with a full set of neck markings, we shot 135 yesterday over a bean stubble and I would reckon that about 70% of those were juvenile birds without the neck markings, as is always the case at this time of year.

Do you deliberately target the adults and leave the youngsters alone, or perhaps the birds don't breed too much in your area..??

Cat.

i can see young birds in them pics, also they must breed a lot in that area otherwise he wouldn,t produce the bags that he does time after time

i can see young birds in them pics, also they must breed a lot in that area otherwise he wouldn,t produce the bags that he does time after time

We do have a fair proportion of young birds but we do tend to hit the adults if they decoy to allow the young birds to gain weight. If they are high passing shots we just go for it .

We do have a fair proportion of young birds but we do tend to hit the adults if they decoy to allow the young birds to gain weight. If they are high passing shots we just go for it .

i (sometimes) let young birds go you can tell some have not long come off a nest, but as you say any high birds or long crossing shots get it