Gun in water!!!

Degalle79

I fell into a very deep drainage ditch and my gun was fully submersed in water for about 30 seconds while I scrambled out. I dryed gun off as soon as I got home, then broke it down into its three main parts and put in hot press, should I remove action from stock, it's a siler pigeon s.

Be carefull!! Drying a gun can be devastating in hot rooms, wood can warp and split. Let it dry at room temp to avoid this. I personall would strip the lot down dry and re assemble and lubricate/grease as neaded. Bet you will steer clear of ditches now lol. I cant talk i fell into a hole in a feild up to my chest last winter. Lol

Take off the stock, barrels, forend etc. If you have an air compressor or access to one - get it blown dry with the air blower. Spray it with WD40 or equivalent, blow it dry again, spray again and then let it dry at room temperature.

Edited by Gordon R

I go with pretty much everything above, never accelerate the drying process through radiators, fan heaters, whatever, dry as much a possible by wiping and then let dry at room temperature.

And in your case strip the gun as far as possible, clean and lubricate as required.

I see no long term problems as long as you follow everyones comments here.

Edited by Dekers

Doesnt WD40 damage blueing as blueing is a form of rust/ corrosion and WD40 is ment to stop it ?

Could be wrong here though !

This has been done before, and nobody could come up with anything more than hearsay and opinion.

Plenty of people, myself included have used WD40 for cleaning and drying purposes with no detrimental effects. Note I said cleaning. For protection, once the gun has been cleaned, it is then wiped over and barrels pulled through with a protective oil, personally I use 3-in-1.

Edited by -Mongrel-

That's it all sorted now, eventually. I hadn't got the proper tool to remove stock from action so I had done as much as possible including ejectors, which btw are so easy removed, thanks mudpatten. Gun shop sorted the rest for me, sprayed it with proper cleaning gear etc. happier now.

Guest Fuzzy-pigeon

the problem with WD-40 is that its water based and doesnt protect after its displaced the kak, so after using WD-40 dry off with rags and then apply a oil

Myth:

WD-40 Multi-Use Product is not really a lubricant.

Fact:

While the “W-D” in WD-40 stands for Water Displacement, WD-40 Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product’s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal.

from wd 40 web site

... Note I said cleaning. For protection, once the gun has been cleaned, it is then wiped over and barrels pulled through with a protective oil, personally I use 3-in-1.

the problem with WD-40 is that its water based and doesnt protect after its displaced the kak, so after using WD-40 dry off with rags and then apply a oil

Is there an echo in here? :lol:

• 11 months later...

I'm resurecting this thread to ask for clarification.

Thank you to all contributors - the thread has been very useful after I took an unplanned swim in Lough Neagh this morning!

I have removed the stock of my browning b525 and have flushed out the action with wd40. My question is about the next step after everthing has dried out at room temperature. I was going to liberally apply legia spray, let the excess run off and replace the stock but would like to know if there are parts of the action I should be greasing rather than oiling.

I know grease can be a doubled edged sword in that while it lubricates, it id also a muck and grit magnet!

Thanks in advance.

As a rough guide, where things have a low movement speed, high pressure and easy access to apply and clean off, clean well then apply a very thin smear of grease. Just wipe it off (taking the dirt and grit) each time you clean and renew it. Such places are joint pins, bolt surfaces etc. Where the movement is fast, pressure light, then a light oil is easier and works its way in more easily. A very thin film of oil prevents corrosion. Loose running oil can soak into the wood and damage it over time.

In all cases, the key is 'clean, little and often' and clean the old off each time taking away any dirt and grit. Just adding more makes an oily/greasy/gritty mess that is bad for both metal and wood.

Edited by JohnfromUK