wax slug shells

i have been watching lots of videos on youtube about making 12g wax slugs and they look awesome, i bet they would make short work of mr fox.

have a look and see what you think, just search wax slug on the tube.

also, is it legal to carry out this in the uk?

http://youtu.be/YBWWqXVbAfA

what do you think?

cheers.

Have a look at the posts on cartridge recipes and see how much thought goes into building a load that is properly matched so as to be safe (correct powder, primer, shot charge etc etc). That amount of care is taken because you are looking to set an explosion off in a metal tube a couple of inches from your face, and improperly put together homeloads DO burst guns or leave a nice surprise waiting in the bore for the next shot.

Now throw into the equation some decidedly unscientific adjustments with a stanley knife and some candlewax, and think again about whether you really want to try it.

I would suggest after the accident that your licensing authority may wel look into your activities and view it dimly. As a round to use on foxes personally I think they would be sheite and certainly if anyone ever turned up on my shoot with any they would be going home.

yeee haa its hilly billy half-hour......

As you are effectively making homeload slugs will need to have FAC shotgun..not legal in my opinion for most shotgun users.......and if only 6 inch groups at 50 yards why is that better than a magnum loaded fox shell anyway?

Looks like another recipe for disaster, I would rather buy the appropriate load for the job or apply for a FAC(if not already have the appropriate rifle or slot), rather than risk blowing up the gun, loosing ones licence at the least, or at the worst causing sevear injury to ones self and any body caught by any flying shrapnal.

If / when a accident did happen using one of these loads, your insurance companies might just turn around, ans say you created the mess by tampering witth the cartridge and load in such a way to make it unsafe / dangerous and as so the insurance is void leaving you further in the mire. Could also result in you spending some time away from home for several years.

yeee haa its hilly billy half-hour......

As you are effectively making homeload slugs will need to have FAC shotgun..not legal in my opinion for most shotgun users.......and if only 6 inch groups at 50 yards why is that better than a magnum loaded fox shell anyway?

Exactly - your SGC doesn't allow any 'slug' type ammunition - just because it's home made doesn't change that.

Guest cookoff013

theoretically its ok to own, as it contains more than 5pieces of shot, none bigger than .36".

however, i`m enclined to say....

stop being silly, dont do it. you could have 2000ftlbs going off in your face! dont be such a D*** !

these cartridges have been designed, manufactured, and proofed, and you just want to whack in some wax as well??? grow up. seriously grow up.

if you are serious about producing a fox round, buy the components, #4 or#00 buckshot should make more than a suitable foxing round.

i`m getting on my high horse about this, in the event of a wrong detonation could mean you kill a few people around you. shotguns when they explode are dramatic.

if you blow up someone else and you both survive, expect to be sued to high heaven.

i`ve had all manor of sill requests, such as firing 5p pieces. nails, like funny shells in america, just stop.

youtube is full of rubbish. i dont care how you justify it, its aload of bull. same as cut shells, whats the point?

crazy.

Guest cookoff013

I wouldn't be so sure - as soon as you stick them all together, you're forming one (composite) projectile.

Ring your FEO and see what view they take...

er, its shot, with wax, it may not even survive the setback and stay intact, however firing uncut wads can cause the shot to behave like a slug, but expect all usability / accuracy to go out the window.

as for asking my FEO i doubt he would even care as the wax could be argued in court as a "buffer". so there is that. buffer is suitable usable in homeload shells.

i`ve been loading a while, and i`ve read my fair share of books, and online resources.

i still fail to see any reference to adding molten wax to the shot charge, i have never seen any reloading manual that suggest "adding moulten wax" to any part of the shell.

as for it screwing up the ballistics of the shell, who knows whats going to happen. in or out the chamber / gun.

lets face it, youd have to buy a packet of candles, to do this, for £3 extra, you could just buy a box of 42g BB, or buckshot.

thats the decision.....

£3 or no face or limbs.

My local gunshop has exploded shotgun barrels hanging off the walls and ceilings as a warning. Most are old guns blown up with nitro shells, some have been fired with mud in the end of the barrel. I pointed at one side-by-side and said "nasty", apparently the shooter lost his arm.

Have a look at the posts on cartridge recipes and see how much thought goes into building a load that is properly matched so as to be safe (correct powder, primer, shot charge etc etc). That amount of care is taken because you are looking to set an explosion off in a metal tube a couple of inches from your face, and improperly put together homeloads DO burst guns or leave a nice surprise waiting in the bore for the next shot.

Now throw into the equation some decidedly unscientific adjustments with a stanley knife and some candlewax, and think again about whether you really want to try it.

While i agree completely with the above i do think that it would be interesting to see the legality of wax enhanced shotgun cartridges if it where to be contested in law.

Certainly the cvartridge would consist of a cartridge containing 6 or more shot, if the space between the shot was filled with lead it would clearly be then a single slug but how about filled with wax ? could it be made to fall fowl of the regs that relate to expanding ammunition ?

While i agree completely with the above i do think that it would be interesting to see the legality of wax enhanced shotgun cartridges if it where to be contested in law.

Certainly the cvartridge would consist of a cartridge containing 6 or more shot, if the space between the shot was filled with lead it would clearly be then a single slug but how about filled with wax ? could it be made to fall fowl of the regs that relate to expanding ammunition ?

Ignoring the very valid 'Darwin award' concerns, that'd be the next thing that concerned me - what bonds make it solid enough to become 'one projectile' - I certainly wouldn't chance it.

"...but officer, that's wax | glue | resin | solder | weld holding it together, not shot! Take the handcuffs off me!" :yay:

well i tried some of these and had no issues at all! i weighed to match the original weight and damn sight cheaper than slugs from shops im not saying you should make these but its not illegal for slug.fac

forgot to mention not all of these that i tried held together the blast turned it back into shot

Making these isn't something I'd like to try. Forgetting the law you are firing a load that has not been tested apart from by a complete stranger on the internet. I could make that video and say it worked fine in my gun without even trying it.

Legally I think they'd be classed as section 1 as the shot is bonded together. Do yourself a favour and get yourself a slug mould and some load data - you'd be breaking the law but at least you'll live to tell us what it's like to have your certificates revoked!

Anyone that wants to try this "experiment" should be free to do so - but should fill in an Organ Donor card first.

All their useful parts could then be recycled, with the probable exception of their eyes - they'd be a bit too damaged after being blown out of their heads and rolling about on the ground.

well i tried some of these and had no issues at all! i weighed to match the original weight and damn sight cheaper than slugs from shops im not saying you should make these but its not illegal for slug.fac

forgot to mention not all of these that i tried held together the blast turned it back into shot

Doesn`t work like that though, would you take out the steel shot from a cartridge and substitute lead shot :no: