over priced guns

soontjen

It's true, I first heard the term about 25 years ago in the motor trade.

The prices that people put cars up for sale for, they would never be willing to pay that money for the same thing, and yet they seem to expect that buyers are going to snap their hands off.

And 3 months later, when they are fed up with all the timewasters, con artists or 'sales agents' who have been in touch, they used to come back into the dealership and expect us to give the same p/x price we offered them originally !

There's more leverage with private sales though. If you tell a private seller that what they're selling isn't worth what they're asking, and they find out that you're correct, they will often reduce the price to a more reasonable amount. Now try the same thing with a dealer or retailer. There seems to be some kind of opposite endowment effect when walking into a shop to buy things. Whether an RFD or car sales place, they seem to think they have a divine right to your hard earned. Not to be taken thick, just an observation :good:

Not knowing much of the trade in guns.

I tend to look about see what's the going rate and pice mine according to that depending on its condition and avalubilty.

If I am stuck I will ask one of the dealers on here, bosher or flazz who will usually point you in the right direction.

There will always be people that think anything they have is worth it's Weight in gold, these usually get avoided.

What people seem to forget when you buy a brand new gun from a dealer,twenty percent of that will be vat,so if six months later you dicide its not for you and put it up for sale,you lose that amount,i bought a new maxus about eighteen months ago,paid 1,050 for it,so even if the guns mint you can only be looking at a asking price of around 750.00 if your lucky,then people will try and chip you down, :innocent:

ANYTHING, is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it, if someone considers it overpriced then the odds are it will not sell, but who knows.

The market will ultimately decide it's value.

Thats about it, a gun/car is worth exactly what somebody else is prepared to pay. My mate Gordon is into boats. He buys and sells but not as a business just a dabbler. He said the other week that you can't give boats away at the moment. There are so many on the market that people are trying to get rid of, some desperately, and few people are looking to buy.

So price and worth are very nebulous terms really

Leftie guns aren't always expensive. I picked up an absolutely lovely Bettinsoli Overland EL leftie a few months ago. Hardly ever used, £550.

Rifles/air rifles are the same. Quite often, you'll find traders are more realistic than private sellers, especially if they've had the thing sitting there for a few months