Inaccurate Weihrauch 77

manton

I have just purchased a secondhand Weihrauch 77 and cannot get it to group the pellets smaller than 3 inches at about 20 yards.

I am using JSB Exact Jumbo pellets. I have tried tightening the scope mounts and have replaced the scope with another I had but it makes no difference to the groups.

Anyone any ideas or suggestions about to do or what might be wrong. Desperation! any help appreciated.

I think 3 inch group at only 20yds is too much of an issue to be a dirty barrel. IMO its not a dirty barrel, it has got to be something loose, the scope would be a first guess, then the mounts, then check the crown for damage, are there open sights on it ???(try without scope) that will rule out mounts and scope if it has.

Is it fitted with a Silencer if so it could be out of line so the pellets are clipping the baffles.

It should be a push on Silencer so just take it off and try it.

If its still bad it could be a very dirty barrel get a cleaning kit and clean it.

If it still as problems it my have had the barrel cut or damaged at the end.

So it will need re-crowning not that big of a job easy DIY job.

Have a look on YOU TUBE on re-crowning a barrel.

The HW 77 is one of the best springers and very accurate being fixed barrel.

What ever is wrong it won`t be much to fix.

Have it put through a crono i had one second hand that was doing 15 ftlb well illegal.

I had to put a standard spring in it to get it down to 11.7 ftlb.

Thanks for the ideas men. I dismounted the scope and mounts and even used another set of mounts during my efforts to improve the situation it had no effect Strange to say I have been thinking along the same lines as magman as the gun seems to be quite powerful - not a problem in itself as all air rifles are held on FAC in N Ireland, so long as it would not affect accuracy and I am thinking of giving it a good clean. One other observation I made was that the dovetails on a Weihrauch 77 are very small and take up little of the dovetails on the mounts although they seemed to hold the scope securely,

How does it shoot? Any funny noises, smoke or odd recoil? My first guess would be faulty scope, if that's fine then it could be dieseling after being messed around with. The only other thing that could cause 3" groups is you are resting on the barrel when shooting, although I would have thought the underlever would negate that issue a bit.

I would say that the junbo exacts are not a ideal pellet as they are too heavy for use with a springer , try one of either RWS superdomes/superfield H&N field and target trophy or Air arms field diablos, and I am sure accuracy will improve.

It could also just be the way you are holding the gun , a very light hold is best with most spring guns.

I would say that the junbo exacts are not a ideal pellet as they are too heavy for use with a springer , try one of either RWS superdomes/superfield H&N field and target trophy or Air arms field diablos, and I am sure accuracy will improve.

It could also just be the way you are holding the gun , a very light hold is best with most spring guns.

My 77 in .22 does perform perfectly with AA diablo fields. I did tyry some Bisley pellets once (super field, maybe?), that are a bit heavier, and I did notice a drop in consistency

Just an update. Today I cleaned the gun thoroughly, purchased some AA pellets , and remounted the scope but the groups were just as irregular and wide. I suspect someone has been messing about inside this gun. One observation I made as I used the rifle was that the pellets seemed to slip in very easily- is it possible for an air gun barrel to wear out?. A serial number cheek showed that this gun was made in 1990. The outcome of this all was that the gun has been returned to the dealer and arrangements made to purchase a new one involving me in much higher costs than I had planned for.

I'd doubt that the barrel has worn out, unless someone has really been abusing it to a horrendous extent. My 77K is a 1987 gun, and I know the last owner, who had had it since about 1996. It's had a lot of pellets through it, never been cleaned, spent a few winters sat in a barn (so he could shoot roosting pigeons whenever, without having to go get it from the house), and generally been abused and neglected. It is devastatingly accurate, even so

He has got rid of it.

I know. Just a point here, but typing in really large letters all the time looks like shouting, much like typing in caps does.

It doesn't mean your post gets read more, it just makes you look like you are continually shouting to be taken notice of.

get some jelly ( not KY) and fire it into the jelly and check the pellets over for diformaties.

or use some soft rag like an old sweat shirt , check over half a doz pellets to see if there are any obvious marks that should,nt be there caused by clipping etc .

also a good way to check rifleing marks , totally clean the barrel and use a good light pellet like falcon hunter ( AA are good but a bit heavy in a springer imo ).

HW77 are one of the best underlevers in the buisness , also have a look at the loading port , does it have a 0 ring .