pretty sure I almost got shot.

Marc Z

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

make the incident known to him, but not that you know it's him (don't include the mule and he won't know you know it's him, just your whereabouts and time, the rest will fall into place)

then tell him you do a bit of shooting and ask if he needs some help with beating etc when you have free time

Edited by Paul223

but the keeper needs to know, not good to have rounds flying off around footpaths, especially whilst people are walking them

Well let the next person who thinks they have been shot at tell him.

Sometimes you have to do the wrong things in life to benifit yourself.

It dosent matter how you dress it up, if you tell him then you are on the wrong side of a influential person when it comes to getting permission for a very long time.

The crack sound you hear on a range/in the butts, is the sound or the round passing through the target.

A round passing through the air makes a "zip" sound.

A tumbling round makes a "wizz" or a "vvvv" sound.

I think the crack is actually the noise made due to the round going supersonic fella.

Edited by sako751sg

I think the crack is actually the noise made due to the round going supersonic fella.

That would happen as soon as the round goes supersonic, not 600m down range at the target end mate.

Like many on the forum, I've had a few rounds wizz over my head, they never made a crack on passing over ...

Edited by chrispti

It dosent matter how you dress it up, if you tell him then you are on the wrong side of a influential person when it comes to getting permission for a very long time.

what if the next person gets shot?

That's right, don't let the game keeper know the error of his ways, let someone get killed next time, as long as your alright jack.....

That has to be the most stupid post of the year so far.

That would happen as soon as the round goes supersonic, not 600m down range at the target end mate.

Like many on the forum, I've had a few rounds wizz over my head, they never made a crack on passing over ...

The vast majority i have had over my head,or close to me have been accompanied with a crack fella,and was always led to believe its a supersonic crack.Its definately nay the pill hitting anything,as ive had them over me and not striking anything and still get a crack.

Had a similar experience when out lamping , my friend and I could see a distant lamp red filter coming from wood on other side of our permission luckily at the time we where laying down shooting of bipod with air rifles , then we heard what I can only explain as a crack an loud hissing sound hsssssssssssss it was a little un nerving at the time

Edited by bigman

Bloody phone, deleted my posts....

The round only cracks once as it goes through the sound barrier, I'm guessing here, would this be within the first 100m of the rounds flight?

Sorry to jump in on this. The crack is relative to you, ie. the round has to be within a certain proximity from you in order for you to hear a crack from it. Think crack and thump as mentioned before - the crack is the round near you, the thump is the round being fired. You hear the crack first then use the thump to ping the direction of the firer.

The round is going supersonic before it leaves the barrel.

Edit: That's not to say this is what the OP heard though.

Then crack, the rifle goes. But this time accompanied by a loud snatch/whizz what seemed like yards from my head.

If you heard the crack of the rifle first then the whizz of the bullet it sounds like a ricochet.

Edited by Gregthegreat

That has to be the most stupid post of the year so far.

Then surely you should accuse the op of being selfish and putting his desire for permission over the life of other innocent pedestrians?

By your logic the op should go straight to the police because that action will reduce the perceived risk by the greatest amount?

Alternately you could reside in the real world with all it's compromises like the rest of us mortals.

Then surely you should accuse the op of being selfish and putting his desire for permission over the life of other innocent pedestrians?

By your logic the op should go straight to the police because that action will reduce the perceived risk by the greatest amount?

Alternately you could reside in the real world with all it's compromises like the rest of us mortals.

Or the middle ground, speak to the keeper so that he is aware of what happened so he can avoid it happening again.

Sorry to jump in on this. The crack is relative to you, ie. the round has to be within a certain proximity from you in order for you to hear a crack from it. Think crack and thump as mentioned before - the crack is the round near you, the thump is the round being fired. You hear the crack first then use the thump to ping the direction of the firer.

The round is going supersonic before it leaves the barrel.

Edit: That's not to say this is what the OP heard though.

If you heard the crack of the rifle first then the whizz of the bullet it sounds like a ricochet.

+1 a bullet, or plane, will continually produce a crack all the time that it is travelling super sonic.

Or the middle ground, speak to the keeper so that he is aware of what happened so he can avoid it happening again

Is the correct answer, you don't need to be aggressive or confrontational. Who knows the gamekeeper may not even be aware of what happened and quite grateful to be informed discreetly.

The idea that ignoring the issue and risking someone getting shot, including yourself, on the basis of not prejudicing the chances of gaining some permission is quite staggeringly selfish and the logic of the terminally thick.

Bloody phone, deleted my posts....

The round only cracks once as it goes through the sound barrier, I'm guessing here, would this be within the first 100m of the rounds flight?

A .308 or similar is supersonic out to about 900 yds depending on the bullet. Actually it is at its most noisy when it is going between super and sub sonic in what is called "the crisis" where it is buffeted by the air starting to flow round it in a different way. Thats why 900 /1000 yds is so challenging to shoot, its not the distance, its the point at which the ballistics change.

Edited by Vince Green

I have been down range of air rifles and as the pellet comes past it sounds like a vzzzzzssss.

You should report this keeper before the worst happens,you were lucky,do you really want to be on this land whilst such an incompetant idiot is out there with a high powered rifle shooting deer at night over a footpath !!!!

Oh and carry a torch next time.