Wrestling with my conscience

Beretta06

Time has arrived to renew my Firearms Certificate. However, over the past few years I have stalked less and less and now find it increasingly difficult to take kill shots at deer. I have been stalking for the past 20 years and it has never been an issue until the last few years.

Anyone else been through the same emotion?? I wasn't expecting a test of my conscience at 46 years old!! :-(

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time has arrived to renew my Firearms Certificate. However, over the past few years I have stalked less and less and now find it increasingly difficult to take kill shots at deer. I have been stalking for the past 20 years and it has never been an issue until the last few years.

Anyone else been through the same emotion?? I wasn't expecting a test of my conscience at 46 years old!! :-(

Oddly enough I find i go out and blatt numerous bucks, but when it comes to doe's i find I haven't shot one this year yet.... :( take from that what you will....I also hate it when i shoot a vixen to find she's lactating.... :(

Is it really a conscience issue ? That implies that you feel that what you are doing is inhumane, whereas a well executed stalk isn't. Everything dies, the deer you have shot probably had it a lot easier than those that die toothless and cold in the snow.

Nah, you've just gone soft :lol:

I think you are probably right!! That's where the 'bambi' reference came from!! I am fine with the humane part, fine with the eating and dressing part and fine with the 'population needs to be managed part'. I'm just not sure I want to do the management part. There are always stalkers looking to access our land, maybe time to check some references and let them loose! After all, the job still needs to be done.

The odd part is I am happy shooting bunnies - and a fluffier, lovelier animal has yet to be invented! :):):):):):):):):)

Is it really a conscience issue ? That implies that you feel that what you are doing is inhumane, whereas a well executed stalk isn't. Everything dies, the deer you have shot probably had it a lot easier than those that die toothless and cold in the snow.

I have more of an issue when i've stalked in close and sit and watch the deer for 30 mins....you kinda think it's having a happy day - and that you are away to make it end.....

I know its irational but hey ho....

I remember watching a fox for a good 15 mins and it was jumping from spot to spot - iat first i thought it was trying to catch something but in the end i think it was just playing!

I always try to be logical and efficient when it comes to killing but i think it would be inhumane if we did not recognise that fact that rergardless of how well done the kill is it's still taking a life - for the greater good maybe - but still taken all the same.

Regards,

Gixer

I once sat stock still in a wood early on in the morning waiting for a Roe buck,and didn't realise it had crept up behind me and was grazing less than two metres away.When it drew level with me it started head bopping,trying to make out what I was.It knew something was there but because I didn't move it couldn't seem me.It must have taken it 15 minutes to graze its way past me,and all the time I sat still and watched this fabulous animal as it gently sauntered on its way.I watched it as it eventually disappeared into the undergrowth,at which time I could have shot it(about 70 yds away)but didn't.

I have shot several since though,and possibly even this one,but didn't shoot any on that day.

It shows that you have feelings and do not randomly kill things for the sake of it. I have always found it hard to rationalise how anyone can take pleasure from killing something. I shoot pigeons and kill trout but don't particulaly enjoy the killing part, so why do i do it ?

Quite right.

You're causing the deer less suffering than what they would experience naturally. Animals like deer lack the mental capabilities to experience fear and the concept of death as humans would.

yates also makes a good point. I do feel compassion for the same types of animals as I shoot, as I always aim for a humane kill, and you're not shooting just for the sake of it - you're doing it for a reason.

Yes. I hardley shoot now. Im 23

Find that im thinking the same quite a lot now,but realise i would be lost during the bucks.Shot around 40 bucks last year and havent pulled the trigger on one doe as i dont need to,but a few places have zero tolerance on bucks so hammer them and often wonder if i could just stop altogether.If you think its time to call time,just do it fella.All the respect to these folks that say they dont shoot such and such anymore because they have done enough,although some of them are hpocrits and expect everyone to follow suit.

Don't mind shooting single Roe does, don't like shooting does with kids or the kids. I fact I try not to shoot does with kids at all and will try to pick a kid, but then, especially if it is a single kid, I think to myself that the doe has reared this yougster all summer through to the winter, and here I am undoing all her good work! So much happier culling just obviously single does if I can get away with it. I watched a doe and twins last winter in thick cover, well just too thick to shoot, and they were grooming each other for 15 minutes 50 meters away and I was not at all dissappointed when they eventually wandered off without me getting a clear line of sight.

A Man on a Burger Van, that used to come round the factories, said he used to shoot years ago, wildfowling I believe he said..

Asked him if he still shot :???

No, He replied, " I have learned to have More sense":::

This has Run around inside my head since the day he said it, Yes, I do get twinges sometimes..

I think I am taking the only thing that animal has: "It`s Life"..

One day i will put my guns away for good:: No Doubt of it::

Maybe Clays::

I think a lot of people come to this point eventually, my grandad shot a lot through his life until he was in his 60s, he still enjoyed shoot days but just prefered to work his dogs picking up. Like people have said, stopping and thinking that they aren't just feathery/furry targets makes you a better erso !

I think we all have those moments when we put the gun down and watch. That's no bad thing. I don't consider myself cruel etc i genuinely hav an appreciation for quarry. Roe are the most beautiful of animals but it wouldn't stop me taking one. I love the countryside and all of its culture and traditions I am proud to be a part of it. Shooting included. Conscience is a great thing to have, and the fact it's an issue for people makes them better more respectful hunters.

In my opinion lol

I think fair play if you decide it's time to give up certain quarry.

I'll happily shoot rabbits and pigeon as long as I can use them for food. Maybe that's how I justify it to myself without the standard well I've got a gun and I'm top of the food chain response.

Glad I'm older now (36) and have a better understanding of how it all works. Respect being first and foremost.

When I was a teenager with an air rifle I'm ashamed to look back at some of the things I've shot, terrible. Killing just for the sake of it.

I am not going to judge anyone on their "moral standards and beliefs" so all I will say is that if you feel that it is time to give it up then you must follow your own feelings rather than those of others - It is your concience and it is you that has to live with it.

I personally have no problems with killing but I like to think that I can justify every life that I take and that I am not killing just for the sake of killing and I do feel "remorse" if ever I pull a shot and do not deliver a clean and humane kill!

when out shooting rabbits i dont like finding i have just shot a heavily pregnant doe, i know its pest control, maybe its me.

I'm the opposite. I regard a pregnant doe as a bit of a result. Four or five for the price of one. Its buck after buck I don't like because I know it will make next to no difference to overall numbers.

And that's the thing. As many have said it all comes down to motivation. Shooting as a means to a constructive end, whether culling a pest or producing a carcase will never trouble my conscience; if I found I was kidding myself that I needed to cull something or produce a carcase as a pretext to use a gun, I wouldn't keep it up for long. That's just using animals for target practice. I hate to see people taking difficult long range shots at something just to see if they can hit it because they're bored.

I shoot magpies but I don't shoot crows and rooks for example. They are not a problem here and I won't kill them just because they're on the quarry list. If they became a problem that would be adifferent matter.

Like most people I feel great remorse if I injure something, even a rat, with a poor shot. Safety comes first but then a humane kill.