Childhood what got you into Shooting

The Ghost

Having just got another air rifle after many years I was thinking back to my childhood.

I was about ten years old when I saw an old bloke shooting at our local waste dump, he had a small terrier dog with him and a gun.

I said "mister what you doing" he said, Shooting rats...at this point his dog was going daft in the bottom of a dip throwing rats in the air while the old bloke was shooting those the dog was missing.

I had never seen anything like this in my life and was hooked, I got an air rifle and my Dad learned me to shoot it (ex forces) and I spent many a great day ratting learning from a natural legend.

Can you remember what got you in to shooting?

My grandad, whose coffin I carried on monday did. He moved from rural wales in his teens to birmingham, got me into shooting, he had an air rifle which as a small boy was a thing of wonder, he was a countryman at heart, he took me down the canal (in birmingham) to shoot rats on the opposite bank, loved shooting eversince.

I started with my late grandfather, a cracking shot and used a 20 bore when they were not fashionable as today ,

I can remember his lab getting on the scent of a bird and him handing me the gun for the first time and saying get ready , the dog flushed a hen pheasant and I got it with my first ever shot !

That was me hooked.

My dad liked air rifles so he bought one and we did alot of shooting with them for quite a few years, unfortunally most of them now sit in the cabinet unused.

Got into shotguns to clear some rabbits on the farm i worked on as the air rifle couldnt get moving rabbits...

Took up wildfowling due to the pinks, they always come over my house and that wink wink got me interested!

I started aged about 7 - heinkel .177, taught by my Dad We went rabbit shooting with a borrowed twelve on a local farm.

I was given my first shot at 11 with the twelve and killed a rabbit - been doing it and loving it ever since.

Also had Mr Crabtree, watched Jack H and have all of Archie Coates books - videos.

The calm away from the storm for me and no doubt many others.

Edited by Kes

Plinking in the back garden with my old man using his Gamo Expo .22, setting up cans, plant pots and whatever else we could find to make a range. I remember marvelling at my fathers marksmanship and I was hooked.

Moved on to my 'own' airgun in my teens starting with a Gamo CF20 and when that was stolen in a burglary I purchased a Falcon FN12 which I owned and shot up until a year ago when I sold it to fund some larger rifles.

Just thinking about those days makes me smile :) There is nothing like shooting to bring father and son together.

Edited by Livefast123

stretched out on the sacks of corn with my 2 mates in the barn in winter overlooking the stock yard full of sparrows and starlings and shooting them with a 177 diana and smoking no 6 and sometimes a cadet...woodbines made us turn green.....blowing bubbles with gum and talking about the only girl in the village...........

My dad used to tell me all about how he grew up shooting on a few farms with shotguns, mainly getting the rabbits which I loved hearing about then when I was maybe 5 or so he got me a g10 air pistol which he kept and I used under his supervision plinking in the garden using a old headboard for a backstop,

As I got older he bought me a air rifle for plinking together,

now he comes with me when i go out shooting either for pigeons or clays and we bond just like when we were younger and i absolutely love shooting, as my wife says its not my hobby its my obsession.

Started off shooting my grandad's empty whisky bottles in hs coal yard when I was a kid with a Diana Gat style pistol.

Then when I was a bit oder my old man bought me a Cometa air rifle for shooting crows. He was a marksman for the police back then so I got the interest in guns from him.

started very young tagging along with my brother down the river shooting pretty much anything that moved :no: :no: he then bought me my first gun a gat gun from there it has been a obsession ever since.. iv had some sort of gun all my life and just today iv just been given a webly tempest oh the memory's come back holding this little gun i took my first ever duck with one head shot from about 10 foot and i made a fire and had him for dinner in a local wildlife park :lol: :lol: i was 12 !