Another week with no birds

fenboy

Just had a ride out to check my permissions hoping for a day tomorrow and not a pigeon in sight !

My game covers have been ploughed in and the rape is pigeon free

That's the second week running , I have gone from lots to zero in those two weeks

Covered 50 miles looking for anything worth knocking on a door for but still nothing.

I hate not going at least once a week but have been shooting long enough to know when I would just be wasting my time , I do start to get withdrawal symptoms though .

Hopefully things will improve with pea season quickly approaching now.

I saw about 3/400 this morning flying in and out of some fir trees....very near HMP..... two fields away was some rape but non feeding on it.

In the fields near the pigs (S.O.S) Loads of them had 20 to 50 birds feeding on bits of rape or old cut wheat....most r/h side of fields.

Seems to be plenty here, but that has been the case all winter.

Done the same myself, Rape is that slow due to being drilled to late last year they is nothing on it, plenty of fertilizer going on this weekend so when it starts moving might see a few drift back. to many gas guns out as well due to the fact farmers can't afford crop damage on a already poor crops of rape, bring on the drillings! never had big bags on rape in the winter usually shoot plenty in early spring on bare patches on rape.

Done the same myself, Rape is that slow due to being drilled to late last year they is nothing on it, plenty of fertilizer going on this weekend so when it starts moving might see a few drift back. to many gas guns out as well due to the fact farmers can't afford crop damage on a already poor crops of rape, bring on the drillings! never had big bags on rape in the winter usually shoot plenty in early spring on bare patches on rape.

yes I too normally shoot plenty on bare patches , trouble is this year the crop is so poor there is going to be far too many poor bits the birds will not get concentrated on smaller bare patches like they normally would .

went out this morning bright and early, to a new permission where the rape has been hammered by huge numbers of pigeons over the last few days, so i was full of expectation - a dusting of snow overnight and they seem to of all foxtrot oscared elsewhere, didnt see a bird, move twice, still no luck, gave up and went home - very odd! gonna go back tomorrow and look in passing enroute to work and see if they are back!

yes I too normally shoot plenty on bare patches , trouble is this year the crop is so poor there is going to be far too many poor bits the birds will not get concentrated on smaller bare patches like they normally would .

I went to 3 farms on Saturday and in total i must have seen over 3000 pigeons. I had a little go but it was a waste of time.

I'd keep an eye on those poor rape fields, they may well come good in late may/june when all else has grown away. I've had some cracking days in the last couple of years on some backwards rape where it was one of the only available options for the pigeons.

we seem to have plenty round near me at the moment but if there isnt a few of us out keeping them moving about its wasting your time.

they move from game strip to rape to freshly ploughed land ect.

but when you can keep them moving it can all come together.

went out today on one of my perms, just been ploughed,, put decoys , 2x bouncers and a magnet out,, not one single bird was about also put some crow decoys out and a total blank after 5 hours total waste of time, felt sorry for the guy i took with me

barley going in , in next fortnight so can only pick up surely

went out yesterday to new permission, 5-600 birds about. so set up for a couple of hours, had 13 woodies and 2 crows. watched them go back and forth between 2 rape fields, using the same flite lines. so next week ill set up under flite line and have a full day at it. mite turn out a good day.

A lot of ploughing going on at the moment. They'll be on the drill soon enough.

Very little spring drilling goes in around here other than peas, not a big barley growing area .

A bonus is that the field behind my house may be peas this year as the wheat crop has had so much slug damage that the farmer thinks he will have to plough it in and re-drill with peas.

Last time he had peas on that field he swore never again as it attracted so many pigeon !

I clocked up over 120 miles yesterday looking for birds and saw very little. Probably no more than 350-400 altogether. Most of the birds were on clover either in people's big gardens or on horse paddocks in small bunches between 5-40. It seems to of gone very quiet all of a sudden

Ben

Hi Ben , yes since the snow came the and went so did the pigeons, They will be back.!!!!

apart from a few bags on stubbles and a few decent roost shoots its been very poor all winter on the rape local to me and on land 20 or so miles away we shoot on, never seen it so devoid of birds i,m counting the days till the drilling starts i think it will come good march/april

apart from a few bags on stubbles and a few decent roost shoots its been very poor all winter on the rape local to me and on land 20 or so miles away we shoot on, never seen it so devoid of birds i,m counting the days till the drilling starts i think it will come good march/april

It seems the opposite round here - massive flocks of birds every few miles when driving around. Doing something with them is another story.