Distance

hoggysreels

When l go shooting in the field l dont use 28g No 7.5 cartridges, though there are numerous spent cases of the aforemention littered about. I have mainly been using 34g & 36g No5 eley ( good ) & Lyalvale ( okay, but leaves heavy residue ) both 12 bore 70mm

On numerous occasions I've had Crows/Rook/Magpie etc cross me at distance and lve held fire.

What lm wondering is what is the maximum distance from tip of barrel to the bird is a practical distance.

As a comparison ! ... if l were to use say ...

No 7.5 70mm 28g cartridges. ( just out of curiosity )

No 5. 70mm 34g cartridge

No5. 70mm. 36g cartridge

No4. 76mm. 42g cartridge

This is purely to gauge by comparison .... lve hedged to the side of, if its not within obvious range, dont shoot ... lm thinking l missing viable opportunities to knock them off ... any advice appreciated

PS ... should have mentioned chokes are a 1/4. & 3/4. ...

Edited by hoggysreels

Well l'm far from a good shot !

I particularly mentioned Carrion Crows as it's those that mainly seem to fly across R-L-R etc

When l first got back into shooting it soon became clear to me the limitations of 7 1/2 28g clay cartridges

I dont shoot dozens of cartridges when l go out on the farmer and when l start docoying, l wont use anything less than 30g/32g .... the pleasure l get out of shooting in my mind is worth paying a few quid extra.

Ive many times glance and raised the gun but held off firing ... to see the crows fly off scott free ...

I use at leaat 34g 70mm 12 bore ... lve not used the 30g cartridges because lve as much the chance of a crow as a pigeon or Rabbits etc ... suppose the fact is there isnt an ideal single cartridge that suits all ... l take 34g & 36g with me and use the 34g in the 1/4 choke and a 36g in the 3/4 choke ...

I mght mess about using different choke tubes ... its all good fun though, as its suppose to be me thinks

I particularly mentioned Carrion Crows as it's those that mainly seem to fly across R-L-R etc

When l first got back into shooting it soon became clear to me the limitations of 7 1/2 28g clay cartridges

I dont shoot dozens of cartridges when l go out on the farmer and when l start docoying, l wont use anything less than 30g/32g .... the pleasure l get out of shooting in my mind is worth paying a few quid extra.

Ive many times glance and raised the gun but held off firing ... to see the crows fly off scott free ...

I use at leaat 34g 70mm 12 bore ... lve not used the 30g cartridges because lve as much the chance of a crow as a pigeon or Rabbits etc ... suppose the fact is there isnt an ideal single cartridge that suits all ... l take 34g & 36g with me and use the 34g in the 1/4 choke and a 36g in the 3/4 choke ...

I mght mess about using different choke tubes ... its all good fun though, as its suppose to be me thinks

Believe me, a 36gm cartridge is certainly not necessary for what you are shooting.You are just using more expensive cartridges for no reason.

A 30 gm 6 will be plenty for the shooting you have described.

I personally like 30 gm 6 , but any cartridge 28- 32 gm 5,6,6.5, 7 or 7.5 will kill Pigeon or crow out to 40- 50 yds easy ....... and if you pace it out it's a long way !

I think your making it all to involved loading different shells in each barrel , just keep it simple....

I normally place my furthest decoy at 40 yds and tend not to shoot birds that are further out if i can help it.

Dave

All of the shells above will cleanly kill birds out to 40 yards. Some of the above you can stretch to another 20 yards if you are capable.

I shoot occasionally with a very well known shot and with 32g 6s he regularly kills birds stone dead out to at least 70 yards not something I would attempt too often as it would result in too many pricked birds.

Do you use 30g No 6 for all aspects of shooting ?

I rough shoot mainly ... come across from Teal to Fox ... not done very much decoying.

Decoying by its very nature indicated your quarry, l could understand having a one cartridge suits all when decoying, but sliding half a dozen 34g and 36g cartridges add to my days pleasure. Will try some 30g & 32g ... l will use the <32g cartridges with my sbs and 32g> with my O/U ... it all adds to the enjoyment of the sport ... those Crows might not be so smug next time out.

I was surprised a few weeks back at the distance l dropped a Pigeon with my .410 and l was only using a 12.5g. 2 1/2 cartridge ...

From 36g to 28g of 6 shot will make no difference , put it in the right place will kill to 50 yrds +

Teal should be non toxic as im sure you no but have shot more fox with 6 shot than any other as if they bolt within 20 yrds there dead even with 7 1/2

Another vote for 30gram 6's :good: Check "corvid choas" in sporting pics. Some long shots taken there and not for a second did I doubt the shell choice. 32grms in a s/s must give you a hell of a punch and 34 is a bit of overkill on everyday rough shooting/decoying imho. But its entirely your choice. :yes:

Another vote for 30gram 6's :good: Check "corvid choas" in sporting pics. Some long shots taken there and not for a second did I doubt the shell choice. 32grms in a s/s must give you a hell of a punch and 34 is a bit of overkill on everyday rough shooting/decoying imho. But its entirely your choice. :yes:

i,m in the 30g 6s corner also, but have been using 29g 6 hull super fast, brilliant cart and even better price

i,m in the 30g 6s corner also, but have been using 29g 6 hull super fast, brilliant cart and even better price

I also use the lyavale pigeon special that used to be 30g, then it went to 29grms also called the chasse. Its a cracking shell. It depends on which is cheaper when I'm the shop and also availability. More than confident to use either :good:

The SBS kicks a tad .. but was advised to check lop ... bought a slip on recoil pad and its better'ish ...

Anyhow thanks for the insight ... there appears to be a liking for 30g No6's ... will give them a go, though no one will convince me to use clay ground cartridges ;)

They have their place - at the CLAY SHOOT!

I usually use a 28g or 29g load of 5s.

They are light on recoil and will kill long range pheasants cleanly (provided you do your bit correctly) so are more than adequate for rangy pigeons and crows.

They are also priced somewhere between pigeon and game cartridges, so not megga expensive.

A great all rounder in my opinion.

Edited by chrispti