'like'

Blunderbuss

Sat in a Starbucks, not out of choice, grabbing a brief lunch break and surrounded by yoofs drinking froppamochachinos or whatever. How come most people under the age of about 25 are physically incapable of verbal communication without interspersing every second or third word with a totally pointless 'like'. Does my ******* swede in! And breathe......

Sat in a Starbucks, not out of choice, grabbing a brief lunch break and surrounded by yoofs drinking froppamochachinos or whatever. How come most people under the age of about 25 are physically incapable of verbal communication without interspersing every second or third word with a totally pointless 'like'. Does my ******* swede in! And breathe......

25 people liked this post..........like.

Edited by mr smith

Made me smile.....gets on my tits also,but from around here 'like' is commonly used in local dialect and has been for generations,as in:' Are y'u garn tut pub like?' so I can't really comment.Think it's just a generational thing really,even my kids are saying such things as :'Like it was so cool Dad'.They have simply changed the 'like' to the beginning or middle of a sentence,rather than the end!

We're getting old Blunderbuss,that's what it is.

American TV shows. My two nieces, 17 and 15 are the same.

I am forever telling my two sons off for this very thing.

They are 15 and 11 years old and because their piers, girlfriends and every other bloody YOOF/CHAV speak this way, they join in!

Easiest way to stop them is a simple request to speak proper English or they don't get what they were asking for!

My kids are in the habit of saying "like" as a pause, in a generic descriptive sense and a connective between sentences.

So, being the pedant that I am, I have two stock ways of dealing with the situation:

1. The "like" alarm - whenever they unwittingly say "like" in a sentence I make a loud "Family Fortunes, our survey says NO" klaxon sound, and loud enough to make them jump and snap out of it; or

2. I pull what they are saying to pieces in a very drawn out and tortuous fashion e.g. they say "we went to the park and it was like brilliant" and to which I say, "oh that's a shame that must have been really disappointing because like brilliant is not actually brilliant, because it is only "like" brilliant whereas being actually brilliant it would indeed just have been "brilliant".... and so on.

It's like really lazy and it's like a projection of not being like able to like put a proper ******* sentence together.

You feel me?

My kids are in the habit of saying "like" as a pause, in a generic descriptive sense and a connective between sentences.

So, being the pedant that I am, I have two stock ways of dealing with the situation:

1. The "like" alarm - whenever they unwittingly say "like" in a sentence I make a loud "Family Fortunes, our survey says NO" klaxon sound, and loud enough to make them jump and snap out of it; or

2. I pull what they are saying to pieces in a very drawn out and tortuous fashion e.g. they say "we went to the park and it was like brilliant" and to which I say, "oh that's a shame that must have been really disappointing because like brilliant is not actually brilliant, because it is only "like" brilliant whereas being actually brilliant it would indeed just have been "brilliant".... and so on.

It's like really lazy and it's like a projection of not being like able to like put a proper ******* sentence together.

You feel me?

"You feel me"

"innit"

"You get me?"- that one really really flipping annoys me...

The other one my 10 year old is now using in almost every sentence - 'fail'

Though to be fair, when they get told off by the wife, or screw up in some way, I do give them the Nelson (from The Simpsons) "Ha Ha" which gives me so much satisfaction....

I was in Bicester Village Outlet Centre a while back (I'm not proud of it) and there were these highly amusing little floppy haired skinny jeans wearing wiggers, sounding like something off The Wire in front of their mates, and something like Little Lord Fauntleroy in front of their parents.

It was very funny.

In my day it was all about FILA, Sergio Tacchini, Farahs, ghetto blasters and hanging out in the precinct. Obviously like most teenagers, my parents were totally uncool like and a total embarrassment.

In my Dads day it was my Nan banning him from a family wedding because he was wearing skinny trousers and "winkle-pickers".

I was lucky enough that my mums family are all merciless mickey takers. This served to keep everyone in the family from adopting any silly teenager tendencies. If I said "like" in my mid sentences I would have been made a laughing stock. My kids know by now that if they start all that funny talk that they are in for some ribbing.

My least favorites are the use of a sarcastically pronounced "seriously" or "really" in response to almost every question/situation. In particular from my 10 year old...

And as for the previously mentioned "fail", and to take it a stage further "epic fail".. Sigh

Edited by Seamus

Spoken 'like' a lawyer :rolleyes:

LS

I hate the way the Americans and now a lot of Brits over here use the word ' awesome '

eg. That coffee was awesome. A pair of shoes awesome. Actually it's not, the Victoria Falls are awesome as are the Moon and the Sun.

From the oxford English dictionary- Definition of awesome

adjective

• extremely impressive or daunting; inspiring awe:the awesome power of the atomic bomb
Edited by kev56

What about the use of the word 'literally', I was staying in a hotel in Venice and was chatting to a bloke who said the place he stayed in Millian was literally a prision, I assumed he was a criminal and end the convosation. Another good one girl getting off the train "I've litrally got like a million bags"