Fake gear from eBay?

Mikaveli

Long story short, I've just been sold a set of bike gloves on eBay that turned out to be fake (pretty bad fakes really).

I heard that these things happen, but it's the first time I've ever been 'had' from that site. Pretty annoyed that someone would sell fake protective equipment - I don't give a stuff about the brand name, I just want me hands to still be in one piece after a stack... Obviously the seller has no such concern. :mad:

Has anyone else experienced this from fleebay - how soon did you know it was fake? Share your stories / rants here. :D

DONT buy anything listed as located in China, India etc etc........ also if you are daft enough to buy any high end optics or pretty much anything high value you kinda deserve all ya get.... all that looks too good to be true usually is

Yeah, Aftershave as well!

Worth a try as it was cheap, smells the same but last 5 minutes.

Anyway, tricky but you must always be careful with these type of sites.......

It is the world we live in, with all due respect we go looking for the deal and sometimes get caught. :/

I'd get in touch with the proper manufacturer, it's them the seller is stealing from, they often have a team of "anti fakes" lol. You might get something original aswell maybe... If they are already investigating said individual it could be your evidence what tips the scales...

You probably bought the protective stuff because it was a bargain. Buying cheap stuff you rely on for your own safety is a bad idea. Invest wisely

Well, not a bargain, just cheaper - the guy made up a story about buying them from a main dealer recently, but after one ride decided they were to tight... :whistling:

In reality, that seems to be just a cover story for why he's selling new / nearly new gloves less than retail.

But yeah, bad as it sounds, I don't generally buy any goods located outside the UK. This one was though and it's still fake. :no: Oh well, live and learn. :yes:

I say my experiences are mostly positive, I had one recently where a commercial seller blatantly misdescribed a (shooting) item. I got an immediate refund when I realised half the item he said was included wasn't and he then sent me a message on ebay saying I should "get a life" (a phrase I detest as it's used exclusively as a kind of last-resort insult by imbeciles), anyway I am still contemplating whether to leave him negative feedback and break his 100% positive so far.

I have given him long enough to apologise now. What should I do :hmm:

Anyone buying things that are new on Ebay or at market stalls at knocked down prices should think its ether going to be stolen or fakes then you get people buying stuff cheep from a chap in a pub or at work its people like you that keeps burglars in business if people did not buy it then they would not steel it in the first place.

having said this there is still good stuff to be had but it will not be new people get fed up with things or need the money and sell stuff but you need to think before you buy dose the seller seem like a genuine person.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

Anyone buying things that are new on Ebay or at market stalls at knocked down prices should think its ether going to be stolen or fakes then you get people buying stuff cheep from a chap in a pub or at work its people like you that keeps burglars in business if people did not buy it then they would not steel it in the first place.

True, to a point. I brought a tent last year, brand new in a box was a proper bargain and saved hundreds. Inside was a label which tracked to an Argos warehouse where they sell kit to trade by auction, sometimes last years stock or things they have decided not to sell any more and some untested returns.. The chap buys job lots from them and ebay is his outlet so I suppose all is not dodgy. If i had the money to invest I would do it too. You can get all manner of stuff from branded shops if you can find the sites and then flood ebay with it.

DONT buy anything listed as located in China, India etc etc

I've bought quite a few items from China, all positive transactions...quite a good few of the UK sellers need to take a leaf out of there book.

Not saying you won't get a dodgy deal, but I suppose it depends on what you buy.

Latest little gem is a fly reel, 3* for czeching, posted £6.45 :)

Edit to add,........ take a look at most of the stuff now & it has "made in china" stamped on.

Edited by Bazooka Joe

What if I want to buy fake? too poor to afford a Tag Heur but like the style. If I buy knowing its a copy am I harming them?

Yes. If it is a similar design with a different name like Tel hour then its just a cheap watch............

There are some russian military watches on there that look good but must be fake. Not condoning it but slightly temped if its not damaging the original manufacurers.

Girl I worked with sold Beats by Dre headphones she bought in from China as the real deal on flea bay. She got in a world of trouble when found out

I'll add that I've bought some amazing stuff from China. I got a Sky cycling jersey and bib set for £35 and they're over a £100 here. It's clearly a knockoff, but the workmanship is amazing and the fabric was spot on.

Hit and miss, but always worth investing time into checking the sellers feedback on specific items. China sellers will usually have feedback in the thousands, so it's highly likely your item will have been sold before.

Oh and I'll add, I did once get a call from a police force after using a UK eBay business to buy moody goods. (they were raided and my name was on an invoice)

..The item was:

140 Golf pencils.

Apparently you can fake golf pencils :lol:

Edited by Billy.