Can it get any worse ??

fenboy

Well my worse winters shooting in years has been swiftly followed by my worse spring / early summer.

I just cannot get a bag of pigeons anywhere.

I had a few hrs on some spring rape a few days ago there was 200+ in the trees and on the ground when I got there , I ended up shooting 9 !

All the while I was there I watched pigeon coming from a good distance and drop into some winter rape that has lots of weeds etc where it did not take too well , rather that up sticks and shoot it I decided to return the following day when I would have more time .

I took Fenny along with me telling him I though a decent day was on offer at last, two hours later we had two pigeon come into the decoys shot one each , walked out to pick them and both got up and flew off :mad: we never had another shot :no:

We then looked at some more spring rape and there was a few there so set up again , I was not expecting much , which was just as well as we managed 1 between us.

Un deterred I was out again today on spring rape , a good few birds in the trees again , result 3 hrs for 1 pigeon :yes:

So packed up again found a few on some peas set up again , did much better this time with the fantastic total of 3 for another 2 hrs shooting :yahoo:

I really have never had it this bad and am seriously considering taking up knitting instead of shooting :whistling:

The birds still seem to be in large flocks and just dropping in anywhere , its not that there is none about just that they cannot be pinned down . its getting really tedious .

A reason I was given is these flocks are the late young birds not quite ready to breed,

There is a big flock who have been feeding on the pea/been field across the road from me for around 2/3 weeks as they was so much on top…

We have shot at them a lot and they are getting very shy, but most are young birds.

They have full feather but you can see what they are….

TEH

The birds haven't disappeared they are still there.

In my area they have mostly split up, half are sitting on nests and the rest are spoiled with the choice of new leaf buds, chitting peas, rape, linseed and clover.

With so many fields failing over the Winter, there has been more Spring drilling this year than I can ever remember.

I am shooting small bags and moving around the fields, plus shooting quite a lot of corvids.

Same here, been watching fields for weeks, not really seen many pigeon at all. Had some good bags on corvids tho.

Having said that I ain't seen many, my brother saw my pigeon floater the other day and asked how it worked, as we were working in the garden I set it up so he could see how it flew on the wind!

And within about 5min 6 pigeon had almost dive bombed it! It's the most iv seen all year:-)

I am in Cumbria at the moment and three of us went shooting for three hours....got 1 pigeon and two crows.

I was that sick I left the pigeon for the two buzzards that were looking very hungry.

The daft thing is I have just purchased 2,000 cartridges from my mate to use in the Fens.....three years worth by the sound of it Fenboy?

same same couple of weeks ago ayano3 kindly took me out on his permission they were having none of it ,got a few evening roost but only 2 during the day.their busy breeding and just not playing at moment .itl probably get better next month when theyve done playing mom n dad and the young squabs are out n about.being inexperienced they should decoy nicely

Although i have had a few good outings, it has also been one of my worst starts to the year as far as numbers/good sport goes.

However, i think that this will mean some massive bags being taken at harvest time. I've already got several fields earmarked that could produce, given a few factors coming together. All the birds that aren't shot now will make the stubble shooting all the better.

Another point to consider is that the pigeons seem to be ​ conspicuously feeding early and late.

In my area the hot time is from 4pm to 8pm, unless you are about before 9am, I am finding the rest of the day is really corvid time, with just the odd pigeon.

A friend set up on chitting peas yesterday at around 5pm and shot until 8.15pm, he had 56 pigeons and a few extras.

It's the same up here on the Wirral, 3 weeks ago there were plenty of pigeons dropping onto the drilled fields ect , but now nothing showing on the rape, oats or the spring wheat that is starting to shoot up, the flight lines have disappeared where they were set at certain times ( under which we have hides purpose made to save time ) ,

All I'm shooting now is corvids using the decoys but even now they seem to be wise on 3 different permissions, nothing seems to be settling down :hmm:, so it's time I got the Rimy out and went bunny bashing fill the freezer up for the ferrets and hawks.

seems to me like it's going to be a long slow season this year.

Exremely patchy in North Lincolnshire,early morning pigeon on grass,odds and **** later on thin rape especially under ash/oak trees,some on ash trees after emerging shoots, and on hedges where there is ivy.Pea and bean drillings now so very clinical there is little left to pick up and not a lot of interest in chittings.Plenty of birds around towns,homes gardens and parks but not where one can get ' em. Roll on flowering peas ?

Why on earth has my reference to '

" odds and Sierra Oscar Delta Sierra ' been deleted ". The word is in common usuage and the sense in which it was written is obvious.

Political Correctness in Pigeon Watch !

Not to derail this thread, but just to answer that question.

Standard Forum auto censor, it affects very few words and the obvious omission usually lets the reader know what word is missing.

DB and I have been suffering following being sprayed during the last post three weeks ago. The last two weekends we have covered over three hundred miles looking over four days and never set up. This year the hedges and tree buds all came out at once and the pigeon food table was vast. I'm off for my annual drive to Greece for three months so will have to settle for sea fishing the Med. To all you PW shooters I hope it improves soon.

says it all if pigeon controller and db can't find any sport. not much chance for the rest of us :sad1:

from what i have seen lately the trees are and hedges are full of pigeons and theres a lot of loving going on :yes:

personally i am concentrating on the corvids and other vermin till the pigeons switch on again. looks like theres plenty of rabbits again too.

I have been for a ride around this morning to see if it was worth having a go at the pigeons tomorrow.Nothing much about at all there are more crows on the fields i shoot than pigeons.

None of the peas i looked at had any pigeons on in decent numbers.

Will have to keep plugging the rabbits till the pigeons decide to show up.