Were to to buy salt Peter

rapid basher

BTW I cure bacon without saltpeter as I'm not sure nitrates are that good for you, and it is more than acceptable. There are people on here that are experts in this area and they will probably know other reasons why you should use it, but my bacon doesn't hang around long enough to need extra preservatives.

In the Middle Ages people used to make their own by rendering down urine. Its true, absolutely true. It must have given a certain tanginess to the bacon. You take a bucketful of urine, boil it dry. Then add water, the UREA wont re-dissolve in water once it has dried. The salts will, so what you have the second time around is a solution of salt and nitrates with the urea separated off.

Boil it dry again and you have crystals of potassium and sodium nitrate to preserve food or make gunpowder. That's how gunpowder was made in the middle ages. Also how a lot of food was preserved.

As the demand for gunpowder increased in the 15th century onwards various Lords issued orders that henceforth all urine would be collected for gunpowder production. Depriving the peasants of the ability to preserve their food without having to buy sea salt at inflated prices. So it was unpopular and is believed to be the origin of the expression "taking the ****"

source Gunpowder by Jack Kelly