Unwarranted tuition

I have been clay shooting for only a few months and I enjoy it immensely , I try to go as often as I can but it isn't really the cheapest sport to do every time I am off work.

I usually go on my own and either go around solo or go with anyone else on their own and have met some top blokes and my scores are slowly improving, I know what I'm doing wrong and where I need to practice. However the last time I went I had the worlds best clay tutor who was dead keen on not only telling me where I was going wrong but telling me that my gun was **** and that the 28g loads I was using in my s/a were not good enough and that I should use his 21g instead. I don't have a huge disposable income and its the best gun I can afford and it needs 28 or more to cycle

Gee, thanks.

I took this in my stride, I kind of new this would happen.

Then, after I missed a bird and was about to call the next pair he reached into the cage and tried to move my hand further down the stock. ***??

Our scores and the end?

Me 32 him 25.

Anyone else ever encountered this? And if so how did you react?

I didn't want to be rude and I really couldn't think of the best way to dissuade him so I just let him get on with it. Think this situation might happen again at some point and would like to know the best way to react without causing an unpleasant situation and still enjoy the shooting.

Any advice most welcome.

If you know he's quite close behind you (usually waving a thumb in the air or changing his chokes 3 times) then eject your spent cartridges in his face. Or, offer him the gun explaining it was your mistake and didn't realise it was his go! Or, go all out, stop shooting and give him a hug!

Best advice is just to smile and just chuckle away inside.

I get it quite often shooting with my mate as we both have 'best London fenceposts', a Baikal and a 81 Lanber. We get the usual 'you'd do much better if you could change your choke' and people suggesting that we should have a better guns.

At the end of the day I'm there to enjoy my shooting and not to listen to their spoutings.

Edited by Livefast123

Ive met two of these folk so far unfortunatly:

Once at Kinver shooting ground, but it turns out the bloke is known as Billy the liar on here and on site anyway.

The second was at the MGF 2 years ago when me and a mate were shooting our pumps and just shooting for fun, he has shot plenty of times before but this was his first bash with his new pump and we were there just for fun and the crack. Half way around i over herd 2 blokes behind telling each other how much better we would do if we had 30" OU`s rather than pumps....... I couldnt help but think the bloke was a jerk, anyway when i turned around he was a right misserable bloke with a face like a smacked bum and was was dressed like some olympic pro or something.

I made the point of staying to watch him shoot and i didnt see him hit many more than us and he left the stand still misserable where as we were having fun with our pumps and leaving each stand smilling and teasing each other and enjoying it.

Just ignor the self proclaimed experts, they normally trip them selfs up later given the chance.

That doesn't sound too good but it does happen. If you personally don't think he's helping you then the next time he offers pearls of wisdom and you hit the target tell him you did the opposite of what he told you.IE, if he told you to give it more lead tell him you gave it less, when you hit it. It could make him blush and he might back off. from Auntie.

I have learned a lot from genuine people but this took the urine,

Karma is a bitch though because after he broke a high bird on the last stand he turned around to be smug and didn't see the large clay fragment descending rapidly. I saw it I called caution and he ignored it. It smacked him on the swede, luckily It didn't cause injury but I openly chortled.

As Mungler says - it depends who is giving the tips. I have had unwelcome tips from people who knew little. I then stood behind them - waited for a miss and then advised them to double their lead. Other comments such as "it's a pity that you didn't take your own advice", or "you teach better than you shoot" tend to discourage further input.

We all get them from time to time mate, don't worry! If he is really annoying you tell them so, most of them are half wits anyway. It is a different situation if someone who is genuinely a decent shot offers a bit of advice as they should be listened too but someone telling you to chang guns is a muppet.

I always do a few rounds of clays with my semi auto before the wildfowling season starts, the season before last i had a Hatsan semi that was in a very worn condition being held mainly together with gaffa tape, this normally coincides with the older game shooters appearing to have a go and normally just whinge about the sun/light/clays/traps etc. This day i was asked if i wanted to go infront of a group of 4 of these "gentlemen" and said thanks and proceeded to remove my Hatsan from the bag, this produced a lot of sniggering and laughing from the group, after hitting 10/10 they soon shut up though!

It can be a pain in the backside, but they are only trying to help and be friendly. Ive never had an incident as bad as the OP but from the tuition i have had, ive took it all on board, and if its not useful, i just forget about it. Ive only been shooting a few months, had some really good people give me hints and tips. Especially as i just do abit of all-round to get a feel for each discipline,

It can be a pain in the backside, but they are only trying to help and be friendly. Ive never had an incident as bad as the OP but from the tuition i have had, ive took it all on board, and if its not useful, i just forget about it. Ive only been shooting a few months, had some really good people give me hints and tips. Especially as i just do abit of all-round to get a feel for each discipline,

+1.

...and sometimes, one of them will point something out I hadn't noticed or wasn't aware of and I learn something. Yeah, a lot of times they'll be telling you selling you something you already know (or worse, something wrong), but none of us know it all.

I've had the pleasure of meeting a similar fellow. Told me that my gun (purchased only days earlier and my new pride and joy) was not up to the task of a casual round of sporting because it had barrels shorter than 30 inches, was an auto safe and is 'too light'. Told me to change it at the soonest possible chance for something like his (a Perazzi).

Smile, pretend to listen and then continue as I was seemed to work for me.

That blokes usually at every clay shoot, i think its men who are henpecked and down trodden at home and feel the need to unleash there vast experience on the unsuspecting novice, best to watch him shoot first before accepting advice.

Don't get me started, because I'm younger I get "advice" all the time from older blokes even when I'm hitting them (the clays not the older blokes). One bloke kept pestering saying my stance was wrong. He had been shooting for a month, I've been for about 15 years in one form or another. But because he was older he knew best.