Which .17hmr

beesley121

Hi guys,

Just waiting for my FAC cert to fall onto the door may but whilst waiting, I'm looking at which .17HMR make/model rifle to buy.

Heard a lot about CZ but I want something as accurate a possible

On the other side of the coin, if money was no object, which .17hmr would you buy?

had the same decision to make a couple of weeks ago and went for the 1517 anschutz.

bit more expensive than the cz (was looking at a 455 thumbhole) but i'm happy with the choice i made.

anschutz have a new deluxe thumbhole stock out which is very nice. :)

If you can get hold of one get a Sako Finnfire Varmint (not the existing Sako Quad).

I had one, and it was just as accurate as my existing Annie 1417. I sold my Sako because a back problem meant that I could not carry the weight anymore.

The Annie has a better two-stage trigger and thumbhole stock, but the heavier weight of the Sako meant that it was 'steadier', and easier to settle into the shot.

Whilst the Sako did not have a two-stage trigger, the crisp let-off of the Sako was beautiful.

Very happy with my Weihrauch. It will out-shoot anyone who picks it up, which is all you can ask of a rifle, the finish has proved as tough as nails and the trigger is an absolute peach. I find the Bavarian stock a bit short in the pull in the summer whithout the padding of winter layers, but a minor detail easily fixed with a butt spacer, and the schnabel fore-end isn't good with a bipod. Not that it bothers me because I don't use them.

I'd buy another without hesitation but I'd pick a sporter stock. Less pretty but more practical than a Bavarian. Otherwise I'd have an Annie.

The HMR relies on velocity. Consequently, assuming accuracy is a given, make sure the rifle of your choice can achieve the specified speed.

Anschutz.

The subject of velocity - usually in relation to barrel length - comes up regularly in HMR topics. I used to wonder sometimes what capability I might be losing, so last time, out of interest, I took my 14" HW and its usual Winchester 17 grn ammo over to my mates place and sent a few rounds through his chrono. Winchester claim a MV of 2450 fps from an unspecified barrel length - though you can bet is wasn't 14". I got an average of 2470. With a 110 yd zero I'm 2" low at 150 yds and 4" at 180 which is pretty much text book. I don't worry about it any more.

Edited by Gimlet

The subject of velocity - usually in relation to barrel length - comes up regularly in HMR topics. I used to wonder sometimes what capability I might be losing, so last time, out of interest, I took my 14" HW and its usual Winchester 17 grn ammo over to my mates place and sent a few rounds through his chrono. Winchester claim a MV of 2450 fps from an unspecified barrel length - though you can bet is wasn't 14". I got an average of 2470. With a 110 yd zero I'm 2" low at 150 yds and 4" at 180 which is pretty much text book. I don't worry about it any more.

Forgive me, but I thought Winchester specified 2550 for their 17gn V Max. 2375 for the 20gn HP I think.The 18" Anschutz throws the 17gn at 2560 and exactly as you say from the 14" Weihrauch using the same chrono. But it just goes to show as with the Remington 17 gn also doing 2560 from the 18", from the identical zero it produces the same trajectory as you specify except for a paltry 1/2" improvement at 200 yards.

Forgive me, but I thought Winchester specified 2550 for their 17gn V Max. 2375 for the 20gn HP I think.The 18" Anschutz throws the 17gn at 2560 and exactly as you say from the 14" Weihrauch using the same chrono. But it just goes to show as with the Remington 17 gn also doing 2560 from the 18", from the identical zero it produces the same trajectory as you specify except for a paltry 1/2" improvement at 200 yards.

You do get a bit more velocity from the longer barrels in hmr, but weather it matters much is another thing?

That's the thing, the velocity drop from a shorter barrel is greatest at the muzzle. The extra pace from the longer barrel is scrubbed off rapidly with range, so down range where it matters it is miniscule and makes no difference worth measuring at the target.

Yes You're right Winchesters are 2550. I'm getting confused with my .222 ammo which are 3450.

I've been delighted with my Sako Quad Synthetic. Before purchasing, I tried a friends CZ452 (Silhouette) which many on the forum seem to favour. It felt good to shoot, was light and easy to handle and is undoubtedly cheaper than the Sako. However, I preferred the higher quality feel of the Sako and finding one second hand for £650 including quality light-stream scope, for me there was no contest. Many seem to prefer wood stocks, but personally I favour the lighter weight and harder wearing synthetic. The Quad's feel and balance is outstanding and the rifle light enough to enable me to take most walk-around rabbit chest-head shots up to 80 yds standing unsupported. If time and the situation allows, dropping to prone with bipod, chest-head shots are readily realised out to 150-yds. I have ranged out to 200 yds on the mil-dots, but with wider groups, only take on corvids at the longer ranges.

IMG_6858.jpg

Edited by tjm160