Top restaurants

unapalomablanca

Anyone tried the idle rocks in st. Mawes lately? Had the best meal of my life there. The mrs decided to celebrate my graduation with an impromptu meal and i was dressed like a farm worker on holiday (largely due to the fact that i was a farm worker on holiday). The monkfish was out of this world and i managed to smash two bottles of sancerre. I rewarded her by redecorating the tent with the finest spew known to humanity.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine are all north of the border, but it seems the "Jamie's Italian" theme continues here. One of the most tasteless Italian meals I have ever eaten.

Recently we have dined in Andrew Fairlie's restaurant at Gleneagles and that was a league above anything else I've experienced, very relaxed but absolutely out of the top drawer.

Ate in Gordon Ramsay's Amaryllis in Glasgow once in the relatively short time it was there, very good but not spectacular and a bit stuffy. Went to the Three Chimneys on Skye many years ago when it was just making a name for itself, and the name was well deserved, it was an excellent experience. The Witchery in Edinburgh I have been to a couple of times, very good but so dark you could be eating anything... a bonus I suppose as it all tasted very good.

Petrus in knightsbridge

That's a Ramsay one isn't it?

Had a fairly epic rib eye at Cut at 45 park lane last Friday, maybe best steak in London. Verashwamy on regent street is great top end curry (I think they have a Michelin star). Texture is great if you like the more fining dining white table cloth stuff.

I do quite a lot of client entertaining in London

Le gavroche & rhodes 24 where amazing, we eat out a lot. Probably 3-4 times a week (so I have to spend a lot of time in the gym to compensate) I don't like 'plastic' food so I find nice local gastro pubs where everything is cooked fresh. I really fancy going to the hand and flowers, that's next on my list. Got to say the best looking place iv eaten is rhodes 24 this was the view

Different restaurants for different dishes.

Nobu is fantastic Japanese but the pork belly is out of this world.

Had great fish dishes at Smiths over in Ongar.

For steak it has to be Hawksmoor at Spitifields.

And Greek has to be my mates restaurant "Nissi" which is superb.

"old sessions" in knutsford do a fantastic sunday lunch..

went to a fantastic steak house in New York but cant remember the name..

and really liked the pelican buffet in Aruba for seafood thet was just amazing...fresh lobster/tuna/ shell fish out of the sea and on your plate within a few mins..

and Rick steins place in Padstow was great as well...

i go to Akbars in manchester for a curry as often as i can as well...good value and graet food..

The fat duck, was a fantastic experience although the food itself wasnt to my taste but as an experience worth a visit if you've got deep pockets!

Nutters over near Rochdale (Andrew Nutter) was excellent food service and good value!

Nutters is good so is earl in hale , the fat duck wasn't worth the money it's a gimmick but the wife enjoyed it, I've just got back from Anglesey and went it a place caled siobhan and the butchers house , no 1 high st near the Menai bridge, absolutely first class ,if this place hasn't got a Michelin star soon I'd be very surprised,

Atb

Flynny

Old school here too, The Waterside Inn at Bray it's been our favourite for over 20 years. Eye wateringly expensive but is for special occasions only and never disappoints in any way.

I have to agree with you there. When I go up country to visit my daughters I take them there for lunch, proper food.

Incidentally, one of our beaters daughters is a pastry chef there and she sent us up some Belgian chocolates she made............exquisite and our best localish restaurant, The Masons Arms at Knowstone, is the creation of the Watersides ex head chef and gained a Michalin star within a year of opening.

Old school here too, The Waterside Inn at Bray it's been our favourite for over 20 years. Eye wateringly expensive but is for special occasions only and never disappoints in any way.

And another vote for this one, from the days when I had a decent expense account and the firm's clients enjoyed the best.

Oh, and the Ivy too, but that was courtesy of a Newsprint client

The Masons Arms at Knowstone, is the creation of the Watersides ex head chef and gained a Michalin star within a year of opening.

Wow scary stuff.. we had many drunken afternoon/evening/morning back in the day in there on our shooting/stalking weekends in Devon

Some of the locals were none too chuffed when he took over, 'killing off their pub' and all that...

Truth be known the previous owner did most of that, and all he really did was clear out the rif raf :whistling:

L'Enclume in the Lake District is awesome. Think it's just got a 2nd star. Best tasting menu ive ever had, and ive eaten in a dozen or so Michelin starred places. Really liked Nathan Outlaw's place in Rock, and took a client to the Hand & Flowers a while back in Marlow - now that is 'pub food' in another league !

And if you're ever in Ireland, then the Cliff House hotel in Ardmore - the chef is a genius and well deserving of their one star

No worries - get yourself down there - finest mashed potato in the world !

As said before, the Waterside at Bray is pure class. Expensive but cheap compared to the alternatives. Been there a couple of times and been blown away by the food and service each time. Not too bad a price really.

L'Enclume is also very good. Apparently Rogan is in the Midland in Manchester which is supposed to e nice but not been yet