mackeral all time low

strangford  wildfowler

Past two years have been dire from beaches that have always produced good bags. I've spent about 25 hrs over high waters since june pinging wedges, fluff and flies and have had about 20, none of which were tsking size. I have never known mackerel so small, some are literally six inches long. Its a very worrying phenomena.

Commercial overfishing? Haven't done hardly any beach fishing for a good few years but speak to people who still do and they say its a struggle to catch anything half decent now even whiting they used to be a pest when after codling . Perhaps that's why there are so many cormorants inland now because the food just isn't out there for them.

Past two years have been dire from beaches that have always produced good bags. I've spent about 25 hrs over high waters since june pinging wedges, fluff and flies and have had about 20, none of which were tsking size. I have never known mackerel so small, some are literally six inches long. Its a very worrying phenomena.

Havent been oot this year but the few folks ive spoken too,only 4,have all said they are few and also they are extremely small so the size seems to be a common theme this year too.

Havent been oot this year but the few folks ive spoken too,only 4,have all said they are few and also they are extremely small so the size seems to be a common theme this year too.

They're starving. I'd be interested to see the figures for whitebait tonnage landed for the past ten years to see if theres a correlation.

I have found this year to be the best in six years. I have only been out twice both times had to stop as I realised I would have to carry the catch back to the truck. First time I had 56 second 62 all were biggest in years with no small ones, maybe I was just lucky?

Never went back as I have more than enough, dog food freezer full and bait freezer fuller than ever.

Interesting link. Perhaps they've just shifted if they're being caught in numbers in areas previously devoid of the species?

To scupper that theory i was chatting to a pal this evening down the club and he's had a couple of trips out of Dover with Coker and they bagged up on channel Mackerel, many of which were pushing a kilo! I iust dont get it.

Here in Shetland I remember a good few years ago the mackerel was so plentiful that they were sometimes a pain in the backside when fishing for haddock, sometimes couldn't get down for mackerel and if you got to the bottom and managed to catch a haddock the mackerel shook them off on the way up. Last year and this year there has not been much around. I have not been fishing much this year but trying to get a bait for the creels was never a problem as there was always plenty colefish and mackerel, but this year no mackerel just plenty of colefish.