a ton in september sun

aga man

was tipped off by a farmer this week that a barley stubble on his land was still holding a good few pigeons and the said field would be mucked and ploughed this week so i was advised to crack on if i wanted to have a go. i had already taken well over a hundred birds off the field in a few visits and was suprised to hear the pigeons had not got the message. i had a quick reccy yesterday and sure enough there were a few birds there nothing to get excited about and mostly young birds. this morning i did my daddy dutys and took the kids swimming which gave me a no guilt pass for the afternoon. i arrived at the field at 12 noon and a good few birds lifted and went straight back down. with the bales now gone i set a net hide against a hedge with a 12mph wind at my back. the sun was high and hot, not ideal for shooting into but not a bad problem to have.

i took my lab Tom today as it has been too warm for him lately and he has not been out much.

i decided not to use a magnet as i have used one twice already in this field so just simply set 6 dead birds out on cradles. before i had chance to move the disco the birds wanted to decoy.

i put the disco 200 yds away in a gateway and returned to the hide. within 15 minutes i had fired a box of shells and put around 20 birds on the deck. the day continued at this pace and was avering a box of shells every 30 minutes or so before letting the barrels cool and tidying the pattern. the dog worked like a trooper an at 4pm i called it a day. the birds were still decoying very well but my dog was out of water and i was worried he would get exhausted. i knew i had hit the ton and i was happy enough with that.

if i had shot ferals and all of the young birds that decoyed the bag would be doubled. around 35% of the bag was young birds but i was trying to pick out the adult birds. i picked 108 and lost probably another 6

i also shot a very foolish carrion crow which came for a nosey and paid the price.

all of the bag was shot with eley olympic trap 7 and half through 1/4 and 3/4 choke which did the job very well.total shots 153 which i was well pleased with. :)

post-57269-0-70995500-1379877551_thumb.jpg

Edited by aga man

You have waited patiently for a good day and you did well with your opportunity. That is a very good shots to kill average.

Did you ask PC for permission to photograph the birds as you did? He is now claiming a patent on it.

thanks for the comments JDog.i think the patent is for his pose . i don't have such a tan and no tash so definatlety would n't pass. :lol: as you can see my dog is very camera shy too :rolleyes:

Brilliant result, brilliant write up and brilliant banter. Well deserved result and with out a magnet, what will the magnet manufacturers do with all these wiper motors??? Seriously it was a short session with some serious shooting , it puts you under pressure to try and pick adult birds and you did well . We try the same but the first shot you pick as an adult and the second shot may be high in the sun or flying away and you often hit a squeaker.

In my mind if people take notice of my methods , photographic techniques or anything else is the the highest praise I can receive from my fellow shooters . I believe this makes Pigeon Watch the best forum on the subject I hope I can aspire to improve other people's shooting via emulation.

Brilliant result, brilliant write up and brilliant banter. Well deserved result and with out a magnet, what will the magnet manufacturers do with all these wiper motors??? Seriously it was a short session with some serious shooting , it puts you under pressure to try and pick adult birds and you did well . We try the same but the first shot you pick as an adult and the second shot may be high in the sun or flying away and you often hit a squeaker.

In my mind if people take notice of my methods , photographic techniques or anything else is the the highest praise I can receive from my fellow shooters . I believe this makes Pigeon Watch the best forum on the subject I hope I can aspire to improve other people's shooting via emulation.

thanks for the comments PC, your right about the second barrel it's a case of take any available bird and it was more often than not a young un.

i for one will always take what i can from your posts, regardless of bag sizes, your fieldcraft and experience is invaluble and were lucky to have you on the forum here :good:

That was a good afternoon. What model of gun is in the picture?

thanks mate, the gun is an E rizzini sporter m/c. quite an old weapon now but a very reliable one which i get on well with.

Edited by aga man

can you give all those birds artificial desperation...then let them loose down in norfolk please.....that is more than ive seen all year nevermind shot

my day will come (hopefully)

like that round here most years mate. we just seem to have a good number of pigeons at the moment. it was mental on this particular day i put my gun down at 4pm but i dare say i could of easily shot another 50 or so. :)