Good day Bad day

scolopax

Had a nice little morning flight today with a good flight of geese resulting in a Greylag retrieved by Raff on his longest ever water retrieve, not bad for a dog aged 12.

Back at home later the vet calls with the results from some tests the dog had at the start of the week, and they were not good, terminal bladder cancer and he probably only has weeks not months left!!

Terrible news about the dog. I had my old lab Teal that was bought for my 21st diagnosed at the age of 9 with terminal lung cancer that had spread.

That retrieve though will be a fitting memorial when the time comes.

They really do tug the ol' heart strings.

Had a nice little morning flight today with a good flight of geese resulting in a Greylag retrieved by Raff on his longest ever water retrieve, not bad for a dog aged 12.

Back at home later the vet calls with the results from some tests the dog had at the start of the week, and they were not good, terminal bladder cancer and he probably only has weeks not months left!!

Hi Richard,

I'm really sorry to hear that Raff, it's not well, when I met Raff, was really funny to see what he was retrieving and how well, we had a good laugh with Raff that day, I really hope that you 2, will pass some really nice time in the weeks to come and that Raff will leave you with some great memory and peacefully, knowing how good you have been to him and him to you.

Mark

Sorry to hear your bad news over Raff. He did well when we shot togeather a couple of years ago. Its never easy to lose a dog , the trouble is the little bug*ers do not live long enough. I still miss my old golden retriever , but it was good to have the black lab , not so much for the retreving , but more for the company. It probably sounds hard , but I would recomend lineing up another dog as soon as possible and your affection soon transfers to the new dog after the old dog has gone to the happy flighting grounds in the sky.

Edited by anser2

Sorry to hear of your sad news.

One thing I find with wildfowling is that you become very attached to you dog. Mines been in season and its not seemed right not having her there.

Sorry, not words of comfort I know. Just to say all wildfowlers will feel for you because we how much a dog can mean to a man on a marsh.

Keep ya chin up and keep ya barrels hot.

Sorry to hear that Scolopax its the time no one likes to think will ever come , my GWP is that age she has been a good friend & has made some great retrieves in her time despite having to be sneered at by some because I use a HPR & empty heads cant understand them ! .

Get your self a replacement as soon as possible as it helps fill that empty space in ones life .

ATVB Pole Star

Edited by Pole Star

If you love your dog it is hard when they go. Get some decent photos in the near future.

Having a cross over between dogs is sometimes hard to manage. My labroador and my border terrier are both 12 years old and although they are fit they may not be in a couple of years time which is why I got a new puppy last week.

Enjoy your old dog whilst he is still with you and your new one when you get him.

Heck that's tough but a good age for a fowling dog, hope you have planed ahead and have another coming along