HMR scopes

stan68

My variation for a 17HMR has come through and was wondering what scopes do the PW massive use? My local RFD recons you dont need nothing to special! Whilst im not going to put my zeiss victory on it I think it merits something good on it atb Dave

He's right, you don't need anything special on a HMR, but as always the choice is yours! :good:

I think the best thing to do is to look at what conditions you will be using it under day/night fading light. Then what range you want to use it for 100/ 150+

If it's to be a static or walk up.

Then you can get an idea of weight mag range and quality you need.

Karl.

As Amazed says, conditions of use are everything, but I never understand why an HMR should not be deemed worthy of a decent scope while for a stalking rifle it is considered (rightly) essential. In suitable weather conditions an HMR will head shoot rabbits at 150 yards for as long as you can see them, which means, rabbit shooting being what it is, from fading light through to darkness. Thats further than the distance at which the average deer kill is taken and the target area is less than a quarter the size. No you don't need a Zeiss Victory HT or a PMII but you don't want a bog-roll tube with cling film over it either just because the HMR is "only a rimfire". Otherwise the rifle will be punching below its weight.

I've got a Meopta 4-12 X 56 R1 on mine. I admit I didn't choose it. I had one which became available when I changed scopes on another rifle, but they improvement over the Hawke Nite Eye that was on it before has made it a whole different rifle. If I had been buying from scratch an Meopta Meopro 3-12 X 50, a 50 mm VXII Leupold or perhaps a S/H Duralyt would have been my choice.

Just get the best scope that you can afford, with ideally 10 or 12 mag.

When you are head shooting rabbits at 100 yards when it is dusk, you will need all the light-gathering capabilities that you can.

Any 'decent' scope will give you an extra half hour at dusk, and this is when the action really starts.

Buy a cheap scope in haste, and regret at leisure....

then again i started with a cheap hawke 3-9x50, it did well. contrary to popular belief you don't need a 56mm scope with 30mm tube and lots of lights and gizmos, or spend a fortune (even if eventually i did lol)

agreed i needed to switch the lamp on sooner, and low sun played havoc reflecting through the tube, (the mtc viper was the worst bit of kit for this) sometimes the simplest option is the best. my weaver cost nigh on £600, i'm not sure it was worth all of that just to shoot rabbits but it is reliable, holds zero and goes back to zero after dialling in a shot, and it's crystal clear even in next to no light.