Personnel digital breathalysers

figgy

Going to buy a Digital Breathalyser to check we are safe before driving the morning after.

Before people start I'm not a plonky nor are my family, but after a Christmas night out and a few more than normal, would like to know we are ok.

Anybody else use them and what would the PW folks recommend around the £60-70 mark.

Figgy

You might get a shock. BROAD GENERALISATION ALERT - Alcohol is removed from the body at around 1 unit per hour, so if you have 8 SINGLE Vodkas during the evening and stopped drinking at 10pm, then by 6am the alcohol SHOULD BE out of your body.

I would also check out the accuracy of these machines and ask whether they give a refund if they are inaccurate and you get a ban or points.

As I understand it NO breathalyser is "evidential" you cannot be convicted on the evidence of a failed breath test, the Police HAVE to have the further evidence of blood or urine sample analysis before prosecuting.

they have always been "for indication only"

The great big one back at the nick is 'evidential' - not from personal experience, thank God.

As I understand it NO breathalyser is "evidential" you cannot be convicted on the evidence of a failed breath test, the Police HAVE to have the further evidence of blood or urine sample analysis before prosecuting.

they have always been "for indication only"

Not quite right, the evidential breath test machine in custody is very very accurate and kbows the difference between alcohol in your breath or from you gut (don't ask me how) and gives three readings, the lowest of which is used as evidence to prosecute.

If it's only just over the limit there is an option of blood/urine sample to give a more accurate picture.

In my humble experience I find the blood/ urine option has always confirmed the ebm in custody. The roadside breathalyzer is used to give the police an indication of if you are over the limit at the roadside, not always necessary as some people are pie eyed when stopped.

The 1 unit an hour that has been mentioned is a broad generalisation. Some people will remain over for a long time more.

If you need to drive the next day then careful how much you drink.

There is no excuse for drink driving and lack of common sense.

Oh and the big one in the nick is calibrated every time before it can be used, it simply won't let you use it until it has checked itself.

Edited by GingerCat

Given the time of year it may be time to re-post this one:-

http://youtu.be/Z2mf8DtWWd8

Had to type it in, I'm having the same problems as other members on copying & pasting.

Getting a Mcaffee alert for some reason. Don't get it when I access this page on youtube

Edit = Link does not work from here but if you type it into Youtubes search box it works.

2nd edit - Link now seems to work. Team Teal were looking at it so they may have come trumps with a patch if so well done.

Edited by Sha Bu Le

Its actually VERY simple.....DONT ....I mean DONT drink ANY alcohol within 24 hours of intending to drive....

Always have a nominated driver and stick with it.....simples....

How over the top can someone be?

So if I have a couple of pints after work, in your world I should drive again until 6pm tomorrow evening?

Lol

Nope it's not just you Penelope, I've noticed quite a few members are having the same problems. Someone has changed something somewhere, don't know what or where or why some people are not having problems and others are..............one for admin maybe.

We have looked into this and believe it is caused by IE 11 which you have likely recently upgraded to - we are going to try a patch that should fix it.

Its actually VERY simple.....DONT ....I mean DONT drink ANY alcohol within 24 hours of intending to drive....Always have a nominated driver and stick with it.....simples....

I asked which digital breathalyser would you recommend ,abstinence isn't a one I have seen for sale.

Figgy

You might get a shock. BROAD GENERALISATION ALERT - Alcohol is removed from the body at around 1 unit per hour, so if you have 8 SINGLE Vodkas during the evening and stopped drinking at 10pm, then by 6am the alcohol SHOULD BE out of your body.

I've never really understood how this works, and the example above confuses me, unless you mean you down 8 vodkas, all at 10pm?

If you have your first voddie at 7pm, then drank one every 30mins finishing your last mouthful at 11pm. Then would all the alcohol would be out of your body by 12 midnight? Because your first vodka started at 7pm and finished at 7:30 is removed from the body by 8:30pm, the second one started at 7:30 and finished at 8 is gone by 9pm, and so on. I don't think (well, I know I wouldn't anyway) I'd want to be driving shortly after midnight in that scenario.

Can you drink very slowly the entire day and never go over the limit?