Is this animal cruelty?

LondonLuke

the very mention of a Badger set and the fact that there happened to be a local hunt with hounds in the area intentionally paints a bad picture purely for the purpose of misleading the ill informed Jo public.

sure the RSPCA will mention animal rights but what about the human rights of these individuals who have now been slandered in the national press for carrying out a perfectly legal practice for the purpose of pest/vermin control.

so much for Habeas Corpus..............

Find it hard to believe some of the views on here esp as shooting folk and alleged countrymen.No wonder the general public get upset at times when shooting folk don't understand it

Absolutely nothing wrong with this i would also take the report with a very big pinch off salt, if they did not have permission or it actually was a broc set the police would be involved long before now and people would be charged.

Hard to tell from photo's but by look off colour of soil it doesn't look much like a broc sett as it would be a lot larger and a lot more visible in that type of soil

Don't really see a problem with the kids being there either, if u have been around terrier mens or even keepers families they generally live and breathe terrier work and the kids will have seen dead foxes since they were small,

As someone else said wot is the difference than bolting rabbits with ferrets to nets or shotgun? U still have to dig some occasionally/often, absolutely no difference

Everyone is entititled to there view but digging/terrier work is a very effecient and effective way off contolling foxes esp around this time of year, wether u like it or not the fox either escapes or is killed.

No other method of fox control can say that 100%, esp not driving them to shotguns and even the rifle while it is a very effective tool in experienced hands there is fasr to many numpties running about with them at nite, if not there would be no lamp shy foxes and no need for NV tackle.

Do all off u aggainst it thinking its cruel stop shooting foxes from march till may time? Do u stop shooting pigeons from may onwards to let them year their yooung?

Seems some confusion/dispute as to wether they were on the land with the owners permission or without ?

I would see that as the biggest issue surely ??

Good point Neil, that was my view, if they are on private land then it's nothing to do with the "farmer"

As far as I can see the RSPCA/LACS have achieved just what they set out to do.

As pointed out if any offence was committed then it would be armed trespass and or interfering with a badger set. the fact no one was arrested speaks volumes on that.

Divide and conquer, Its ok saying wy not wait shoot it with rifle or should of shot it down the hole.

So why not shot it in the hole? maybe one of the dogs was in the way

Why not wait it out and us a rifle? not everyone has the luxury of time to do that, and there is also a risk of wounding.

As for young children being there mine have been involved in field sports from being big enough, and I'm proud to say they are growing up to be well rounded responsible adults. Far more than can be said for some fed a diet of fast food tv and video games

If you spent any time round lambing fields after a fox had visited you'd probably have a different view, it was only after scanning became routine that true losses where know to hill flocks. Terrier work is an important tool to help lesson the impact and losses. which affect not just the farmer and his family but all those who eat the lamb.

And if they were digging out rats? (Rats are always a good analogy as it often stumps the casual animal rights supporter (they still have a degree of rationality)).

I think some of the comments show just how much under assault we are, as is much of our culture. We dance around things frightened to say what we think and I'll be certain we've collectively altered our views to become more acceptable to those setting the agenda; which is definitely not us. We'll increasingly creep around in the shadows, a little bit wary of saying what we do. Whatever we think of this case and article, we'll have come off worse.

As I'm sure you know, the 'Fluffy' scale has to be consulted prior to any cruelty being deemed done.

And if they were digging out rats? (Rats are always a good analogy as it often stumps the casual animal rights supporter (they still have a degree of rationality)).

I think some of the comments show just how much under assault we are, as is much of our culture. We dance around things frightened to say what we think and I'll be certain we've collectively altered our views to become more acceptable to those setting the agenda; which is definitely not us. We'll increasingly creep around in the shadows, a little bit wary of saying what we do. Whatever we think of this case and article, we'll have come off worse.

Find it hard to believe some of the views on here esp as shooting folk and alleged countrymen.No wonder the general public get upset at times when shooting folk don't understand it

Absolutely nothing wrong with this i would also take the report with a very big pinch off salt, if they did not have permission or it actually was a broc set the police would be involved long before now and people would be charged.

Hard to tell from photo's but by look off colour of soil it doesn't look much like a broc sett as it would be a lot larger and a lot more visible in that type of soil

Don't really see a problem with the kids being there either, if u have been around terrier mens or even keepers families they generally live and breathe terrier work and the kids will have seen dead foxes since they were small,

As someone else said wot is the difference than bolting rabbits with ferrets to nets or shotgun? U still have to dig some occasionally/often, absolutely no difference

Everyone is entititled to there view but digging/terrier work is a very effecient and effective way off contolling foxes esp around this time of year, wether u like it or not the fox either escapes or is killed.

No other method of fox control can say that 100%, esp not driving them to shotguns and even the rifle while it is a very effective tool in experienced hands there is fasr to many numpties running about with them at nite, if not there would be no lamp shy foxes and no need for NV tackle.

Do all off u aggainst it thinking its cruel stop shooting foxes from march till may time? Do u stop shooting pigeons from may onwards to let them year their yooung?

Thank you Scotslad for this excellent post.

Digging out foxes is the most efficient available method of killing them and quite why anyone can suggest that the fox should be left for another day to provide a bit of sport for a rifle shooter is beyond me. Hunt terrier men only dig where requested by the landowner, therefore, to suggest they are acting unsportingly and cruel shows just how out of touch many shooters are.

If there is an occupied earth here on the farm I will always dig in preference to the off chance of seeing it about and shooting it. Fox shooting may be a sport to some but to me the name of the game is to kill them and I will always use the most effective and guaranteed method and that's digging.

Yep.

Digging out foxes is the most efficient available method of killing them and quite why anyone can suggest that the fox should be left for another day to provide a bit of sport for a rifle shooter is beyond me. Hunt terrier men only dig where requested by the landowner, therefore, to suggest they are acting unsportingly and cruel shows just how out of touch many shooters are.

If there is an occupied earth here on the farm I will always dig in preference to the off chance of seeing it about and shooting it. Fox shooting may be a sport to some but to me the name of the game is to kill them and I will always use the most effective and guaranteed method and that's digging.

And yep again.

Pest control can be a messy business.

+1 Charlie T and Scotslad. Far too many people are getting sport mixed up with pest control. Before doing it myself I was out with my father for as far back as I can remember and it didn't do me any harm. I like the fact that everyone that disagrees with this form of fox control is quite happy to shoot foxes with a rifle or shotgun as it is more sporting and a quick kill. Obviously they have never wounded and lost a fox before.

Nothing wrong with it,and as usual we will have two camps on here with differing views.

One camp will be the part time "shooter" who thinks everything should be sporting and done humanely and tend to forget how many birds and animals are actually pricked and never picked to their own gun,or shove the fact away in denial.

The second camp will realise that there are other means of dealing with problems as they usually HAVE to sort oot problems of this kind to appease their farmers and if its legal and effective why not?

I think someone mentioned it wasnt "sporting".Well,they obviously dont have to produce numbers of dead foxes on a regular basis if they think fox control should be sporting.Im sure they must think ferreting is also unsporting as the methods are pretty similar.

Edited by sako751sg

Aye think ur right above sako,

It actually scares me how strongly some folks views are, and how little understanding they have off pest control/countrylife. And this is from fellow shooters no wonder the general public think the way they do esp with the baised reporting

I'm not a big fan off hunting esp the mounted kind, but do go out with a lcal gun pack when i can fit it in.

How many of the folk critising have actually followed a pack? Quite a lot of the supporters/followers are just working class men who enjoy watching dogs/hounds work and NOT the hoitty toitty elite hooray henrys that some folk try to make out. Esp so the terrier men or the boys involved with gun or foot packs.

Like others have said really no difference between ferretting or ratting. Must admit personally not really into terriers that much but can see how others are and as long as they follow best practice/ laws don't have any problem with it. And it is a very effecient way of controling foxes, esp hill foxes in the snow

Wot do u do if u shoot a lactateing vixen? Even stopping shooting throu the peak cubbing season does not mean u won't get an early or late litter. How many of u go to the extra bother off finding the hole and calling a terrier man out

IF the fox is down a badger set it is a criminal offence to interfere with such a set.

IF they don't have permission it's armed trespass.

It's not nice for kids to see something shot in such a way - restrained and so close up. That's not a nice introduction to country sports, or something to show a child.

I'm sure there are better ways of dealing with the problem.

This sort of thing tarnishes us all (although it is in no way 'sport').

The act is legal but borderline cruel, IMO. It is a criminal offence to cause unnecessary suffering to ANY animal. Does a fox being dug out of a hold suffer unnecessarily? It doesn't when my 22-250 goes 'bang'.........

Well not unless you hit a leg. Got a fox the other day with both front paws shot off. Hounds come across 1 a year with rifle or car injuries.

have to say I,ve not been involved in this sort of PEST CONTROL but if its legal and done by experienced people then I cant see what the problem is,,

on another note I would rather shoot them myself but that's probably because I,m selfish and want them all to myself lol

atb Evo

Of course we all believe what we read in the papers with words like badgers set being used and making it look like They don't have permission to be there. This is done to drum up support for the fluffy Brigade. And also it would seem set us of arguing amongst ourselves United we stand divided we fall. Whatever next muslims fighting Muslims?