Jack Reacher Books

billytheghillie

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just getting into the reacher books, I was reading the Nick Stone books by Andy mcnab, they're a bit ham fisted compared with the reacher series I think, but still a decent enough read and along the same lines as jack reacher

Also some of Andy Mcnabs other books from his SAS days are quite a good read, Immediate Action, Bravo two zero, and seven troop all worth a look, if your into Reacher I'm sure you'll like these too

Edited by MBW

Everything he has written since (and including) A Wanted Man, has been not up to his old standards.

The reason being is that he was too preoccupied writing the screenplay for the film "Jack Reacher", to concentrate on the later books.

Casting Tom Cruise, 5ft-7" tall, weighing about 170lbs as Jack Reacher described in the early books as, 6ft-5" tall, weighing 250lbs., completely spoiled the "Reacher" image for me.

Lee Child has made his millions and its downhill from here IMO.

Find some "Harry Bosch" books written by Micheal Connelly.

Although I haven't seen the Jack Reacher film, I can't *image* what they were finking with that casting.

Regards,

Mark.

Second that, I usually go to library and see who's got a few titles and how worn they are, love the Reacher novels

I have read lots of them , excellent , shame they chose a dwarf to play him in the movie :lol:

Have a look at the Matt Hilton "Joe Hunter" series , also the Stephen Leather "Spider Shepherd " ones

My Mrs loves these books and now gets very insulting about the Lil'Fella they chose

Lee Child (like many authors before him) has hit on a successful formula of basically writing the same book over and over again, with enough tweaks to keep it different enough. For me they're very much 'holiday' books to read on the beach in Thailand, a good yarn and has that satisfying 'good guy kicks butt' element.

Here is a Jack Reacher plot:

1. Jack Reacher gets a lift with someone or has a bus ride and ends up in a strange town

2. Gets in trouble with some locals/cops

3. Discovers an injustice/crime

4. Sleeps with a pretty female character

5. Deals with some jeopardy and risk

6. Arms himself then goes in and kills all the bad guys

7. Walks out of town

8. Goto 1

;)

To the OP, even though they are dated now, have you read the original Ian Fleming James Bond books?

Look for the Robert B Parker "Spenser" series, excellent reading and the early books can be bought on Amazon for pennies.

Probably the best writer of the genre since Raymond Chandler , his books are also a "must read".

Excuse my ignorance but is Spenser a private eye that lives in Vegas or am I in a different area?

:shaun:

Well.. after really enjoying the movie and seeing this thread I thought I'd give them a go..

Have downloaded the first one 'Killing Floor' onto my Kindle and have now done the first few chapters...

Have to admit, I'm struggling... I'm sure the content is great if the movie was anything to go by (haven't got to that point yet though... all a bit dull and not really hooking me!)

BUT.....

2 (well, 3 actually) things that are turning me right off...

1. Its written in the 1st person... I hate books written in the first person, just personal preference but I feel it completely hamstrings the author as it makes it very difficult to get over the big picture, not impossible, just difficult and tends to lead to a lack of colour and imagery.

2. He seems to repeat things an aweful lot... He will tell you something... for example.. 'he was surprised' then a paragraph about the situation and then 'he was surprised' again... just a little annoying.

3. not overly impressed with the writing style in general... not very mature, doesnt display much pencraft or grammar skills and something I would expect from a high school student, not a professional author... Although, my usual reading choices tend to be quite cerebral and deep, so that may just be my reference point rather than anything else... however, I have read all of the Hunger Games books... struggled again with the first person viewpoint but found them far, far better written than this, even though they are aimed at kids.

Now, after saying all that, this is the first book... I will give him the benefit of the doubt... he may well improve (dramatically one can only hope) as time goes on..

Lee Child (like many authors before him) has hit on a successful formula of basically writing the same book over and over again, with enough tweaks to keep it different enough. For me they're very much 'holiday' books to read on the beach in Thailand, a good yarn and has that satisfying 'good guy kicks butt' element.

Here is a Jack Reacher plot:

1. Jack Reacher gets a lift with someone or has a bus ride and ends up in a strange town

2. Gets in trouble with some locals/cops

3. Discovers an injustice/crime

4. Sleeps with a pretty female character

5. Deals with some jeopardy and risk

6. Arms himself then goes in and kills all the bad guys

7. Walks out of town

8. Goto 1

;)

To the OP, even though they are dated now, have you read the original Ian Fleming James Bond books?

Plot 1-8 this happens to me on a daily basis be nice to put my feet up occasionally

Some books are written in the Third Person so he has varied his approach

Very true. Incidentally I prefer the first person in the JR books.

On a smilier note look at Dan (Da Vinci Code) Brown, his prose is eye-wateringly clunky at times, but he's got a few quid hasn't he..?

If you can come up with plots and write books where the reader simply has to turn the page, great literature doesn't really come into it.

Can't critique his pencraft and grammar skills if you spell awEful wrong yourself can you?

The author himself has said he couldn't give a toss at his critics, he has **** loads more money than them or the highbrow writers he is compared with..........can't knock him can you?

Some books are written in the Third Person so he has varied his approach

Hey... personal preference and all that.. (and, for the record I didnt mention spelling!) most books have numerous eroneous errors anyway, no matter who the author is, usually down to the typesetters, or nowadays the quality of the OCR or data input.. And... I am an end user reader, not a writer, so my spelling skills (or not) means jack!

Some people would struggle to the point of not reading due to the annoyances I have raised, would you have known it was written in the first person, would you have known it was written to the standard of a 15 year old... no... It cost me 4 quid to find that out so... just giving my initial impressions and a subjective viewpoint....

Little Red Tractor is a great read.... but I fear you would be very disapointed if you bought it without reading a few words first!

How much money he has made is totally irrelevant... This is MY first impressions of his writing style, nothing else..... and up to now, I'm not very impressed... I'm sure the manufacturers of Bells Whisky aren't short of a bob or two and I'm sure there are loads and loads of people out there who love it...... me...... I cant stand whisky!

I always have to watch out for sentence length, it's easy to ramble on but I started trying to read Ernest Hemmingway and haven't found a full stop yet! He is one of History's great writers but I just found him hard work and gave up, reading is supposed to be relaxing.

I agree completely... never tried Hemmingway... not enough aliens or spaceships compared to my usual diet! but, I usually give up on books due to writing style rather than content... it doesnt matter how enthralling the content is, if it is annoying to read, for whatever reason, it is put down and is usually replaced by one of my core favourites.

Everything he has written since (and including) A Wanted Man, has been not up to his old standards.

The reason being is that he was too preoccupied writing the screenplay for the film "Jack Reacher", to concentrate on the later books.

Casting Tom Cruise, 5ft-7" tall, weighing about 170lbs as Jack Reacher described in the early books as, 6ft-5" tall, weighing 250lbs., completely spoiled the "Reacher" image for me.

Lee Child has made his millions and its downhill from here IMO.

Exactly...I don't even want to watch the film...Wrecked the image completely, why not choose an unknown "big" actor instead of a vertically challenged midget.