An Eventful Week

Friday the 21st we set out to look for birds and found a field with approx two hundred feeding on maize stubble. We tried to contact the farmer and left two phone messages as he always say's " just give me a ring when you want to shoot" we even went to the farm to find him and his wife said " he puts the mobile in the dash and forgets it " . It was comming up to 13.00 so we decided to keep looking and found them on some rape, set up with the magnet and ten thawed birds and started shooting. By 16.30 it had finished and we picked up seventy six birds. Saturday I was unable to shoot due to Grandad had to attend Grandaughters second birthday party. I went out Sunday and set up twice for forty birds , I had made the mistake of watching the flight line and it was down the field to an oak then across our field to another oak after setting up the wind became stronger and forced them along another flightline and once they were downwind it is impossible to get them to turn back into wind and return to your pattern. While I was out I had to do a "Campers" or what Bears do !!!. I was planning to go out with DB on Monday but on Sunday Night I spent most of it sitting on the Loo. I phoned DB Monday morning and told him I could not make it and his sypathetic reply was " What size cork do you want". He had chased up with the Farmer from the field we had seen on Friday and went on his own and dropped off One hundred and nine birds in the garage on his return. During the rest of the week I had one bowel of soup and two toast.

Friday the 28th and I was champing at the bit to get out, we drove round and could not find a bird to shoot and it was getting on and at about 12.00 we found a few birds on rape so decide to give it a go , set up as normal and from the start the birds just kept comming as we were disturbing them out of a roost wood and we shot virtually into dark and picked up seventy seven, most of the birds had acorns and ivy berries in them not rape.

Yesterday we found them on some old maize cover as we had seen them the day before but only a few so we left them the build up , that was the theory as we approached the field it had about fifty in the trees and none on the deck. We watched it and nothing was joining . It was 11.00 and we decide to give it ago as we drove down to the field we crossed the metal bridge and the noise lifted the lot , we set up and waited. Very few birds returned and were not interested in our pattern just going to the trees. Most of our birds came between 13.00 and 15.30 and we picked up seventy one.

100_1915_zpse498fd62.jpg

003_zps257e4478.jpg

005_zps56003a7b.jpg

Friday the 21st we set out to look for birds and found a field with approx two hundred feeding on maize stubble. We tried to contact the farmer and left two phone messages as he always say's " just give me a ring when you want to shoot" we even went to the farm to find him and his wife said " he puts the mobile in the dash and forgets it " . It was comming up to 13.00 so we decided to keep looking and found them on some rape, set up with the magnet and ten thawed birds and started shooting. By 16.30 it had finished and we picked up seventy six birds. Saturday I was unable to shoot due to Grandad had to attend Grandaughters second birthday party. I went out Sunday and set up twice for forty birds , I had made the mistake of watching the flight line and it was down the field to an oak then across our field to another oak after setting up the wind became stronger and forced them along another flightline and once they were downwind it is impossible to get them to turn back into wind and return to your pattern. While I was out I had to do a "Campers" or what Bears do !!!. I was planning to go out with DB on Monday but on Sunday Night I spent most of it sitting on the Loo. I phoned DB Monday morning and told him I could not make it and his sypathetic reply was " What size cork do you want". He had chased up with the Farmer from the field we had seen on Friday and went on his own and dropped off One hundred and nine birds in the garage on his return. During the rest of the week I had one bowel of soup and two toast.

Friday the 28th and I was champing at the bit to get out, we drove round and could not find a bird to shoot and it was getting on and at about 12.00 we found a few birds on rape so decide to give it a go , set up as normal and from the start the birds just kept comming as we were disturbing them out of a roost wood and we shot virtually into dark and picked up seventy seven, most of the birds had acorns and ivy berries in them not rape.

Yesterday we found them on some old maize cover as we had seen them the day before but only a few so we left them the build up , that was the theory as we approached the field it had about fifty in the trees and none on the deck. We watched it and nothing was joining . It was 11.00 and we decide to give it ago as we drove down to the field we crossed the metal bridge and the noise lifted the lot , we set up and waited. Very few birds returned and were not interested in our pattern just going to the trees. Most of our birds came between 13.00 and 15.30 and we picked up seventy one.

Well done P.C. :good:

Love the Freudian slip by the way! :lol:

Yes, in twenty five years of pigeon shooting I'd only paid up to £250 for guns . The family kept insisting I treat myself at the gun show so I bought a Berreta 686 s , the first ten shots gave me eight pigeons so the fit is ok

very nice :good:

Yes, in twenty five years of pigeon shooting I'd only paid up to £250 for guns . The family kept insisting I treat myself at the gun show so I bought a Berreta 686 s , the first ten shots gave me eight pigeons so the fit is ok

So you can shoot few birds and have great taste to :lol::good:

PC once again great bags. You are looking a bit tired in

your pictures. To much heavy lifting. I think you need a rest next week.

So I think it would only be fair for some one to fill in for you.

What do you recon ???

ATB. DP

DP I agree I do look nackered but I've had little food all week and all the permissions I've had to carry the gear a good way . As I'm over the retirement age perhaps I should start to slow down . Those who know my life style will know that in will be heading to Greece soon for a few months to recharge my batteries and allow the bird population to build up for my return( I'm not big headed at all)

DP if I decide to have a rest one week end I'll let you know.

Edited by pigeon controller

Sorry I was only messing about. Greece sounds good.

I guess its a hard life being retired with all that shooting.

Don't slow down, your on a roll at the moment

Every week I now look for your post to see the very good numbers

you've got. Ive been getting a few on Rape the last few weeks.

The birds have only just got on it in my area.

I think I would only be good to lug the bags for you.

ATB DP

DP I agree I do look nackered but I've had little food all week and all the permissions I've had to carry the gear a good way . As I'm over the retirement age perhaps I should start to slow down . Those who know my life style will know that in will be heading to Greece soon for a few months to recharge my batteries and allow the bird population to build up for my return( I'm not big headed at all)
DP if I decide to have a rest one week end I'll let you know.