Best World War 2 Film Ever Made?

chrisjpainter

I'm watching The Battle of the River Plate right now, It got me thinking, what's the best Second World War film ever made? For my money, it's tough to beat either Tora! Tora! Tora! or A Bridge Too Far.

Any suggestions?*

Disclaimer: I'm not including Band of Brothers as that's a series not a film, however brilliant it is!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talvisota

Tuntematon sotilas (1955 version)

Empire of the Sun

Hope & Glory

Life & Death of Colonel Blimp

Now it can be Told

(filmed using actual SOE personnel !!)

Cross of Iron

Die Brugge

..."best" could be open to lots of suggestions depending on theater, period, country of origin, date of film, etc.

Saving Private Ryan.

Alright it's been on telly a bazillion times but I remember watching the opening sequence in the cinema; it's not so much about the special effects (which were revolutionary at the time) but the impact - they had a couple of D day vets comment that it was like being on the beach again and the memory brought back the metallic smell of blood and salt (because the sea ran red).

Way too many great ones to be able to pick one but The Great Escape is up there most days.

Some of the German and Russians movies are well worth a watch and highly recommend Downfall,Come And See and Stalingrad.All with subtitles but cracking watches and theres a few others too.

Saving Private Ryan.

Alright it's been on telly a bazillion times but I remember watching the opening sequence in the cinema; it's not so much about the special effects (which were revolutionary at the time) but the impact - they had a couple of D day vets comment that it was like being on the beach again and the memory brought back the metallic smell of blood and salt (because the sea ran red).

Yep, remember that cinema experience well. Made quite an impact.

I do like The Longest Day too.

Set just after the end of WWII, " On the Beach" by Neville Shute was made into a film twice and is a superb book as well.

Das Boot is another favourite.

Off topic slightly, " All quiet on the Western Front" is superb.

I wish theyd make a film of the forgotten soldier by guy sajer. French lad that ends up fighting for the axis on eastern front. Awesome book though doubt surrounds its authenticity.

I have just dug that one out of the bookcase! There is also doubt about some of the Sven Hassel books as well.