What Caliber does everyone use for hunting big game?

inderraj

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Walt alarm is surely going off by now......

Yes.

Yes it is. :yes:

Yeah I have a firearm cert. I managed to get a .308 slot on there and i'll be getting full "training" from a close friend of mine who has been hunting and shooting for many years now,

That was quick. West Mids are obviously on the ball with issuing FAC's these days? <_<

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/275945-best-tactical-shotgun-uk/?do=findComment&comment=2454439

I would have given a sensible reply but after seeing previous post i find it impossible.

A few old shotties laid out on show together with some knifes that seem to belong in a walter cartoon comic for ninja turtles, then a request for a big game cal, sorry it just seems a load of nonsense.

I'd go 416 nitro if your expecting Muntjac to walk in front of you, for everything else I would go for the four barrel shottie featured on Fieldsport channel a while back with solid slug then you have the option of giving it all four barrels to make sure.

Well to be honest with some of the comments here, im not here to prove anything, and i don't appreciate the comments.

I thought the whole point of this forum was to share ideas and be accepting of other people and the way they are.

I will happily meet up with anyone in the West Midlands who's on this forum to prove a point to those who want to poke fun, everyone has to start off somewhere, and im sure you started off a little wet behind the ears too, and didnt just "pop out" a shooting God.

I am still a serving member of the Armed forces and hence my medical and criminal checks do not take too long, having my vetting cleared. Im a Sikh, and if you read up about Sikhs you would know that we are known to the British Empire as a "martial race" because we have a history of love for weapons and warfare. I came to this forum to help expand my knowledge and the knowledge of others, im not here to try and question other people ore questioned myself. If the moderators or admins think my posts to be inappropriate or a "farce" then im pretty sure they can revoke my access, however i have been quite polite and asked my questions nicely. What is peoples problem?

Well to be honest with some of the comments here, im not here to prove anything, and i don't appreciate the comments.

I thought the whole point of this forum was to share ideas and be accepting of other people and the way they are.

I will happily meet up with anyone in the West Midlands who's on this forum to prove a point to those who want to poke fun, everyone has to start off somewhere, and im sure you started off a little wet behind the ears too, and didnt just "pop out" a shooting God.

I am still a serving member of the Armed forces and hence my medical and criminal checks do not take too long, having my vetting cleared. Im a Sikh, and if you read up about Sikhs you would know that we are known to the British Empire as a "martial race" because we have a history of love for weapons and warfare. I came to this forum to help expand my knowledge and the knowledge of others, im not here to try and question other people ore questioned myself. If the moderators or admins think my posts to be inappropriate or a "farce" then im pretty sure they can revoke my access, however i have been quite polite and asked my questions nicely. What is peoples problem?

If you are a man of knowledge then please take my advice on calibre with the respect I have given it, I'm am also a Sikh.

Chill people have offered advice but also noticed a very fast turn around on your FAC some have to wait 3-6 month for variations let alone initial issues. Staffs West Midlands are quick or have been since I started talking to them 6 months ago.

Just remember most squadies only regularly use a 5.56 or .223 rifle machine guns are a different beast, only the lucky few get a real rifle in .308 (7.62) or .338.

whats is this thing you call the "british empire"? :lol:

I am still a serving member of the Armed forces and hence my medical and criminal checks do not take too long, having my vetting cleared. Im a Sikh, and if you read up about Sikhs you would know that we are known to the British Empire as a "martial race" because we have a history of love for weapons and warfare. I came to this forum to help expand my knowledge and the knowledge of others, im not here to try and question other people ore questioned myself. If the moderators or admins think my posts to be inappropriate or a "farce" then im pretty sure they can revoke my access, however i have been quite polite and asked my questions nicely. What is peoples problem? What unit are you with?

I dont care how fast they are... going from thinking of applying in the near future to having a ticket with slots in under 4 weeks.. Cleveland are one of the fastest and will even do a variation while you wait, even they couldnt manage that feat! your alleged military background is irrelevant (what regiment do you belong to again?) you are subject to the same checks done by the same people and your application will be sat in the same pile as everyone elses! And what the chuff does religion have to do with a FAC application? ??? I was raised a catholic, perhaps I should point out that, as a catholic, I am (was... than I grew a brain!) part of a religious cult that is really, really good at war and therefore must be really really good with weapons... just look at the crusades! so you should therefore grant me whatever I want in double quick time! :rolleyes:

Edited by Vipa

At what point does he say he's applying for his fac? As far as I can see the op ask what people prefer for big game, he's then clarified he already has an fac with slot for 308 and a mentor but wanted clarification before parting with his money so what's the issue?

My original fac application took less than 4 weeks from interview to landing on my mat does that make me a Walt? Oh and for the record I'm a atheists so have no religious ties to the op I just find trial by pw a bit harsh!

At what point does he say he's applying for his fac? As far as I can see the op ask what people prefer for big game, he's then clarified he already has an fac with slot for 308 and a mentor but wanted clarification before parting with his money so what's the issue?

My original fac application took less than 4 weeks from interview to landing on my mat does that make me a Walt? Oh and for the record I'm a atheists so have no religious ties to the op I just find trial by pw a bit harsh!

http://forums.pigeon...k/#entry2454439

Never in my life have I found a police force to issue a firearms licence for full bore rifle when you have never had one for a rim fire ,even if you are uk forces regarding the background checks it doesn't matter if you you are part of so19 the checks take the same time .I should know I did 16 years with the Lincolnshire constabulary and the old palls act doesn't apply

Munch chomp popcorn refilled

Deershooter

I got 308 on my first FAC along with a 22rf but that was 20 years ago and I was living on a farm at the time.

Never in my life have I found a police force to issue a firearms licence for full bore rifle when you have never had one for a rim fire ,even if you are uk forces regarding the background checks it doesn't matter if you you are part of so19 the checks take the same time .I should know I did 16 years with the Lincolnshire constabulary and the old palls act doesn't apply

Munch chomp popcorn refilled

Deershooter

from experience of friends both serving and ex police if anything they have a harder time. most recent being a former firearms officer later an instructor refused a 303 air rifle for shooting geese on a reservoir but given 223 for the same. the air rifle would be safer in the location.

As for the OP being a serving soldier do we know what mob he's with yet. Or is that classified :ninja: ???

I dont care how fast they are... going from thinking of applying in the near future to having a ticket with slots in under 4 weeks.. Cleveland are one of the fastest and will even do a variation while you wait, even they couldnt manage that feat! your alleged military background is irrelevant (what regiment do you belong to again?) you are subject to the same checks done by the same people and your application will be sat in the same pile as everyone elses! And what the chuff does religion have to do with a FAC application? ??? I was raised a catholic, perhaps I should point out that, as a catholic, I am (was... than I grew a brain!) part of a religious cult that is really, really good at war and therefore must be really really good with weapons... just look at the crusades! so you should therefore grant me whatever I want in double quick time! :rolleyes:

My Mrs got her ticket in 13 days from GMP last year with the following slots (albeit after doing a probation at a club);

22 self loading LBP

44/44mag LBP (recently varied to 223)

308 bolt action

7.62x54r bolt action

44/45 muzzle loading revolver

Plenty of moderators

A shared storage which allows her the use of my 6 slots of which 5 are centre fire

6 months later she's filled every slot except the 22LBP and mods

Edited by grimey121uk